Wildest thing you seen a player or team do in a game

NewHampshireRed

On 8/2/2017 at 8:31 AM, SW_VA_boy said:

As far as team goes:  1994 Narrows @ Fort Chiswell playing for a share of the MED title and playoff berths.  Narrows wins it in the final seconds on a busted flea flicker 26-21 after being down 21-6.  The pitch back went to the fullback (shoulder harness on not allowing him to lift his throwing arm past the 1/2 arm slot) instead of the QB.  He threw it down field like Bernie Kosar to the only man in green he could see.  Turned out to be the TE, who picked up a block or two on the way to the end zone.  

Found video for play referenced in the quote.  Someone posted the 1994 Highlight tape to youtube.   Skip to 22:22 to go the busted up flea flicker winner at Fort.  Soundtrack is muted due to copyright violations appearently so no audio.  If you're bored or just want to see the whole thing, some interesting bits:

The first game is vs James Monroe played in Peterstown. This was the game played without a scoreboard and time kept on the field.  Narrows lost 8-6 on 2 minute ?? 10+ play drive where JM ran every play but twice.  

The last game was a final four game at Bullitt Park vs. Appalachia when Travis Turner was the their freshman QB.  Damn them Myers twins were some big bastards.  At least the boys in Green and Gold gave them a hell of a better game than Middlesex did the next week.   Still wasn't saying much though admittingly.

• 2 weeks later...

Tonight vs Sullivan North, Sullivan Central had a 3rd & goal with 2:53 left in the half. The Central QB is frantically calling for the snap out of the shotgun, and when he gets it, he spikes the football. There is now I believe 2:49 left in the half, and Central has a 4th & goal.....and the rest of his teammates and the North defense is looking at him like he's lost his mind. Oh yeah, on 4th and goal he takes a sack. Sullivan Central has to be the most inept program in the state, considering their enrollment. 

Sullivan East looked pretty bad last night as well.  Their players ran into each other twice fielding kickoffs very similar to what you would see in baseball with two outfielders chasing a fly ball.  And they ran into each other on defense as well missing an interception, instead being a Johnson County completion for a big gain.

13 hours ago, JDHoss said:

Tonight vs Sullivan North, Sullivan Central had a 3rd & goal with 2:53 left in the half. The Central QB is frantically calling for the snap out of the shotgun, and when he gets it, he spikes the football. There is now I believe 2:49 left in the half, and Central has a 4th & goal.....and the rest of his teammates and the North defense is looking at him like he's lost his mind. Oh yeah, on 4th and goal he takes a sack. Sullivan Central has to be the most inept program in the state, considering their enrollment. 

Please tell me there was a flag on the 3rd down play.

2 hours ago, 1inStripes said:

Please tell me there was a flag on the 3rd down play.

Nope, no flag. I was talking to Tom Throp at Wallace News this afternoon and he said he'd never seen a QB do that either. I've seen a couple of 4th down spikes over the years where the QB lost track of the down in the heat of the moment, but have never seen a spike with well over 2 minutes to go.

39 minutes ago, 1inStripes said:

You are only allowed to spike the ball with a snap taken under center.  A flag for intentional grounding would have been appropriate there is why I asked.  Ive only seen it happen once.  

Maybe the refs were in shock like everyone else.....

On 8/18/2017 at 3:51 PM, 1inStripes said:

You are only allowed to spike the ball with a snap taken under center.  A flag for intentional grounding would have been appropriate there is why I asked.  Ive only seen it happen once.  

Did that happen to be at Northwood last year?

On 8/1/2017 at 9:39 PM, GC HOKE said:

Here are a few recollections that stand out in my mind:

-In the early 90's, Tom Turner and Appalachia ran the hook and ladder on the last play of the game to beat GC.

-A couple of years later, Lindsey Fisher leveled, and I mean leveled, an Appy Bulldog on a crack back block on a punt return, and Coach Houseright jumped around like a jumping bean on the sidelines.  That's still the hardest hit I ever saw.

-Before you could spike the ball into the ground to stop the clock, Barry Wolfe tried to throw the ball out of bounds to stop the clock, and a Tazewell player stepped in front and made the long pick six.

In the category of really wild:

-In 1983, Colobro's first year at GC, Tazewell was down to GC 7-0 and threatening to score.  Near the goal line, while the Bulldogs were snapping the ball, some fan set off some firecrackers, and Tazewell fumbled on the play.  GC got the ball, took a self-inflicted safety, and won 7-2.

- I didn't see it, but one of my friends who played RB in the '70s told me that he got his leg broke really bad against Graham while he laid in the bottom of the pile, and a G-man broke it by twisting on it.

I believe the broken leg part, I've seen some scary things in the bottom of piles while playing Graham!