SPECIAL REPORT: The new VHSL Configuration

swva_havok_fan

18 minutes ago, GMan said:

You sure that started in '78??  I thought there were two teams from each district in 1976...I guess I could be mistaken...

Yep.  Kinda surprised by that discovery myself.  But there is a really good site put together by a Pulaski County supporter that provides great documentation of football playoff results in all classifications.  Info for 1977 can be found at the following link:

http://www.cougarfootball.net/vhsl_playoffs/1977.htm

Great information for subsequent years there as well.

On 8/7/2017 at 8:38 AM, GMan said:

Graham, Tazewell, Richlands, Grundy, Marion, Patrick Henry, Abingdon, John Battle, Virginia High, Gate City, and Lebanon (for a few years).  I think it was Abingdon and Gate City that represented the SWD in '77 with V-High on the outside.

The NRD and the Southwest from what I have heard from my family members were the toughest around.  

It gave football the great reputation that it has now in the western part of.the state. 

How would the standings look today? 

Someone mentioned the SEC.  Imagine a conference that looked like this:

New River District

Western Division:

Marion, George Wythe, Radford, Chilhowie, Grayson County, Giles, Galax, Carroll County. 

Eastern Division:

Blacksburg, Christiansburg, Fort Chiswell,  Floyd County, Auburn, Narrows, Pulaski County, 

Southwest District 

Western Division

Lee, Union, Central, Ridgeview, Gate City, John Battle Virginia High

Eastern Division

Abingdon, Lebanon, Richlands, Grundy, Graham, Tazewell, Patrick Henry

Just thought this was interesting. I know I probably forgot some teams. The powers that used to be on top aren't anymore though.   What would they look like today?