SPECIAL REPORT: The new VHSL Configuration

swva_havok_fan

SPECIAL REPORT:  The new VHSL Configuration

http://rvasportsnetwork.blogspot.com/2017/07/special-report-new-vhsl-configuration.html

I know most of this contained in this post isn't news to most people but one little paragraph in here was to me:

We do know football doesn't change. The top eight teams will advance to the postseason in each region.

We do know that each classification now has four regions instead of two. When it comes to later rounds of the playoffs (State Quarterfinals and Semifinals), regions will be paired on a rotational basis. This year, the rotation places Region "A" and Region "B" together in one half of the bracket, Regions "C" and "D" in the other. As you'll see shortly, it means little change in football, but some changes elsewhere.

So, if I am reading into this correctly, the final 8 now will be cross bracketed, not just the final 4.  Looks like this year, when the final 8 teams are decided, lowest seed left in Region D would travel to highest seed left from Region C and highest seed left from Region D would host lowest seed left from Region C.  Interesting.

I'm probably in the minority, but I am happy it's still a 32 team bracket state wide.  Though I can see why a lot of people don't like it because it was pointed out somewhere that 6A Region B only has 8 teams, which means all the teams in that region are in the playoffs before a snap even takes place.

What I don't like is the cross bracketing at the final 8.  I think you should have a regional champion.  Plus it sounds like the cross bracketing will rotate, so even though C/D play each other this year, I guess the next two years, C/D will go to A or B.

4 hours ago, swva_havok_fan said:

I'm probably in the minority, but I am happy it's still a 32 team bracket state wide.  Though I can see why a lot of people don't like it because it was pointed out somewhere that 6A Region B only has 8 teams, which means all the teams in that region are in the playoffs before a snap even takes place.

What I don't like is the cross bracketing at the final 8.  I think you should have a regional champion.  Plus it sounds like the cross bracketing will rotate, so even though C/D play each other this year, I guess the next two years, C/D will go to A or B.

You are. Cause it leaves a slight hope of RV making it. 

WARNING/DISCLAIMER:  Cranky old man rant to follow.

My objection to VHSL Alignment as it is current practiced (and as it has been practiced since 1986) is that it has diminished the level of competition and meaning associated with state championships and competition in general.

I realize that the demographics of Virginia have changed considerably within the last 50 years.  But using the current number of schools from that article, 60% of all schools within the VHSL will qualify for postseason resulting in state champions who can ultimately claim to be the best team in a pool of 48-55 qualifiers.  District and regional (newly restored) championships have very little meaning.  And teams that are "fortunate" enough to make it to postseason very often find themselves facing multi-hour bus trips to play in the beginning round.

Contrast that to the old three classification system in which 30% of schools at best would even qualify for postseason play (in regions that allowed for 8 playoff teams -- most only allowed for 4, which means that only about 15% of schools would make it).  Sure there were some hard luck examples of 9-1 football teams who sat home in November, but making it to the postseason at all was a major accomplishment in and of itself that had real meaning.  And missing out on the playoffs by losing 1 game was a true benchmark indicating that only the best of the best made it.  The district and region structure also contributed to that sense of accomplishment.  Winning championships at either of those levels carried a very tangible and definable cachet -- beyond the fact that you just couldn't advance without winning them.  And the contests at the state level were true inter-sectional match ups that further promoted identity and accomplishment.  Ironically enough, travel hardships were unusual and limited to the highest performing teams because of the regional- and district-based structure (there were extremes under the old system -- the most glaring example I can think of was a trip Clintwood took to Onancock).  But ultimately before 1986, state champions knew that they were the best in a pool of over 100 teams.

Given the disparity in school sizes that began to be apparent in the mid 1980s, it does seem that some appropriate action could have been taken.  Adding a fourth classification would have diluted the competitive level (reducing Class pools from 100 to about 80), but not at the ridiculous level that the six class system has.  The steady abandonment of the district and region promotion hierarchy has only served to further exacerbate the issue.

Winning a state championship is still cause for celebration.  But because of my long memory, I have to admit that the current context pales in comparison to the old system, and it doesn't mean as much as it once did.  And regional and district titles have become about as valuable as participation trophies.

Rant over.

There was no district stronger than the old Southwest District, which was from 1970-1985 I believe.  I'm gonna try to name them: GC, VHigh, Lebanon, Abingdon, Tazewell, Graham, Grundy, Richlands, and PH.  One year, VHigh finished 9-1 but didn't go to the playoffs, because their one loss was to Gate City, who won the district with an 8-2 record. Their 2 losses were to Ketron (pre-Sullivan North), which back then didn't matter, and another district foe.  Head to Head put GC in and left VHigh out.  This might have been 1977.

7 hours ago, Dookthecook said:

My dream district ...let's go back in time all you diehards. Plus some newbies

Carroll County

Grayson County

Giles

Wythe

Galax

Floyd 

Glenvar

Radford

Ft Chiswell 

If you want to go back in time with schools that are either A/AA or playing down to a district currently that is mostly A/AA, then just do a rebirth of the old New River District.  Narrows, Giles, Radford, GW, Galax, Fort, Floyd and Carroll.  The only ones missing are Blacksburg, Christiansburg, and Pulaski Co.  

22 hours ago, GC HOKE said:

There was no district stronger than the old Southwest District, which was from 1970-1985 I believe.  I'm gonna try to name them: GC, VHigh, Lebanon, Abingdon, Tazewell, Graham, Grundy, Richlands, and PH.  One year, VHigh finished 9-1 but didn't go to the playoffs, because their one loss was to Gate City, who won the district with an 8-2 record. Their 2 losses were to Ketron (pre-Sullivan North), which back then didn't matter, and another district foe.  Head to Head put GC in and left VHigh out.  This might have been 1977.

Graham, Tazewell, Richlands, Grundy, Marion, Patrick Henry, Abingdon, John Battle, Virginia High, Gate City, and Lebanon (for a few years).  I think it was Abingdon and Gate City that represented the SWD in '77 with V-High on the outside.

35 minutes ago, GMan said:

Graham, Tazewell, Richlands, Grundy, Marion, Patrick Henry, Abingdon, John Battle, Virginia High, Gate City, and Lebanon (for a few years).  I think it was Abingdon and Gate City that represented the SWD in '77 with V-High on the outside.

Better memories than mine can correct me, but I think the Virginia High team referenced in the discussion was the 1975 version.  Gate City represented the SWD in the playoffs that year.  (From 1970 through 1977, only the champions of the New River and Southwest districts advanced to the regional championship with the winner moving on to state.  Runners-up were added to the mix effective with the 1978 season.)

Either way, I concur with GC Hoke....  The old SWD was a tremendous league.  And winning a district championship in that setup in any sport was a major accomplishment.

That District was like the SEC West. When you stepped on the field your better had left the little boys at home. Those games were just flat out wars. The 11 team league meant you played ten district games, no weeks offs. Life was simple in those days try to win every game or be home for the playoffs.

Not disagreeing with the statements about the Southwest.  But the Old NRD wasn't no joke then either.   78-81 had several good ones between Narrows, Giles, Gate City, and Abingdon all taking their turns.  

Gate City was never in the New River District and I don't believe Abingdon ever was either. GC has played in the LPD, SWD, the Highlands, back to the LPD, then the Mountain District.  

16 minutes ago, SXSW said:

Gate City was never in the New River District and I don't believe Abingdon ever was either. GC has played in the LPD, SWD, the Highlands, back to the LPD, then the Mountain District.  

No they weren't...think he got confused because narrows played GC in playoffs one of those years and giles played Abingdon in playoffs in 1980

I was just trying to say the top teams in the New River and and Southwest had some good playoff games with at least one those 4 teams involved every year.  No where did I say Gate City was in the New River at any point.   Oh well.  I'll shut up now. 

SXSW, I could be wrong, but I don't think that each team played 10 district games in a season.  I think that each team played 9 out of the 10 district foes every year, with the odd team out being on a rotating basis.  Otherwise, we couldn't have played Ketron every year and play 10 regular season games. Also, I apologise for leaving Marion out of my original post.  SW_Va_boy, I remember going to a GC- Narrows playoff game at GC in 1979.  Good times!

I always thought they played everyone, I could be wrong. What is even worse is that GC had to play DB, Elizabethton and Tennessee High and those counted as designated conference games. I believe that was in the early to mid 70's.

All SWD members played each other from the time the VHSL realignment was normalized through 1979.  The 9 game district slate only allowed for one non-district match up, which was tight for some folks but accommodated longstanding rivalries for most others.

The addition of Lebanon changed everything.  While it would have been simple for everyone in the SWD to play an exclusive district slate, there was no agreement to do so.  Graham didn't want to give up its game with Bluefield.  Same story with Virginia High's annual game with Tennessee High.  From 1980 through 1985, the solution was that there was one SWD team (chosen at random, I believe) that you wouldn't play -- or that wouldn't count in the district standings if you actually did play them.  No fault of the Lebanon folks -- they simply had to go where they were slotted -- but that was the beginning of the end.

4 hours ago, RichlandsAlum said:

Better memories than mine can correct me, but I think the Virginia High team referenced in the discussion was the 1975 version.  Gate City represented the SWD in the playoffs that year.  (From 1970 through 1977, only the champions of the New River and Southwest districts advanced to the regional championship with the winner moving on to state.  Runners-up were added to the mix effective with the 1978 season.)

You sure that started in '78??  I thought there were two teams from each district in 1976...I guess I could be mistaken...