Giles and Bluefield

nrv_football

I am glad that Giles got to see some talented backs from Bluefield. We won't be able to handle Beck and Terry next week as they are a lot quicker than Bluefields backs and we just flat out are small and don't know how to wrap up. Similar problems to last season only worse this season. I'm still going with my gut that the Spartans will go 8-2.

8 minutes ago, SWVAgridiron said:

I am glad that Giles got to see some talented backs from Bluefield. We won't be able to handle Beck and Terry next week as they are a lot quicker than Bluefields backs and we just flat out are small and don't know how to wrap up. Similar problems to last season only worse this season. I'm still going with my gut that the Spartans will go 8-2.

Come on man...we had 2 sophomores and 1 freshman at linebacker...give the kids time...they just need some experience

Our OL looked awful good and backs looked good as well...may just have to win shootouts until these young kids get some game experience

Our staff will do another good job bringing these kids along...just be patient and don't be so spoiled lol...we can't have 22 Brian Mann's every year

14 minutes ago, Hokiebird7 said:

Come on man...we had 2 sophomores and 1 freshman at linebacker...give the kids time...they just need some experience

Our OL looked awful good and backs looked good as well...may just have to win shootouts until these young kids get some game experience

Our staff will do another good job bringing these kids along...just be patient and don't be so spoiled lol...we can't have 22 Brian Mann's every year

I agree we have a very young team. I'm not expecting us to be a 10-0 team. If we go 7-3 I'll be happy considering how young and small we are. And I know we had multiple key players out, especially the best defensive back we have. I'm looking forward to playing Blacksburg, and I think we'll give em a fight, we just won't be able to contain their backs as expected.

15 minutes ago, SWVAgridiron said:

And the O-line looked great, were big holes open on almost every play and Beidleman is running the ball a lot harder this season.

Our OL sure isn't small that's for sure

Bburg better be ready for a physical game...yea they have speed but what the got in the trenches? We shall see Friday night

8 hours ago, Hokiebird7 said:

Our OL sure isn't small that's for sure

Bburg better be ready for a physical game...yea they have speed but what the got in the trenches? We shall see Friday night

Hey birdman from the Resting of Angels.  Word I get down here in the hollow is simply Giles didn't allow really any quick Bluefield drives.  That must mean their defense backs made plays even if downfield.  I hear ya on those Bluefield backs. They can scat. 34 runs ball harder then most.  What would worry me about the defending champs is simply they throw ball better the Beavers.  Giles get pressure? 

1 hour ago, nrv_football said:

How does Giles look injury wise? I see they had some of the starters sitting out? 

We should be fully healthy next Friday...Just had a couple out because they were knicked up and no need to play them at all last night. And we had one that was sick and didn't even make the trip. Plus Wilson was out after getting hurt in the Hidden Valley scrimmage last week

Hopefully next Friday we are fully healthy because we are going to have to be to have any shot against Blacksburg...But i'll take my chances....We have beat them 6 times in a row they sure are due to finally beat us...and this could be their year to do that

Either way I will be there to support the Spartans

19 minutes ago, Hokiebird7 said:

We should be fully healthy next Friday...Just had a couple out because they were knicked up and no need to play them at all last night. And we had one that was sick and didn't even make the trip. Plus Wilson was out after getting hurt in the Hidden Valley scrimmage last week

Hopefully next Friday we are fully healthy because we are going to have to be to have any shot against Blacksburg...But i'll take my chances....We have beat them 6 times in a row they sure are due to finally beat us...and this could be their year to do that

Either way I will be there to support the Spartans

I know Beck didn't really come on too strong for Blacksburg until the second half of the season but how did he do against Giles last year?

This Blacksburg team improved arguably more than any team in VA the last part of the season. They are the reigning state champions that won 5 straight playoff games to end the season. Their expectations are higher this year coming into the game then any of the past 6 contests with Giles. Blacksburg finished strong and will be a load to deal with for Giles, and when the come to Richlands. It should be a great game.

8 minutes ago, EH31 said:

I know Beck didn't really come on too strong for Blacksburg until the second half of the season but how did he do against Giles last year?

Absolutely nothing both years he played against us....IMO only he looked soft to me and didn't want anything to do with contact....now they may have changed since week 1 last year... I still say Terry is their best player and biggest weapon

I don't know about BBurg. I didn't see them last year at all. I hear Terry may also be their best player. Just going by what they did last year, there has to have been major improvement at a rate much more than most other teams to have that many losses, and then go on to win the title. Additionally, when Phoebus is one of the playoff victories, it means major improvement. But, Phoebus isn't what they once were. Should be a great contest. I hope Giles wins. It sounds like another Giles and BBurg nailbiter.

9 hours ago, EH31 said:

I've been watching the game on YouTube from last year (doing my homework for Friday night) and Beck doesn't get any consistency running the ball. It's a committee of 3, and none of them seem to have gotten a rhythm (I'm through halftime). Just my thoughts of the first half of that game. 

Hey Ryan , while you have the film out how about a couple stats for me. 1: How many onside kicks did B-burg do and give Giles possession at  mid field or better?  2: How many times did they go for it on 4 down and fail giving Giles field position? 3:  How many kids did you see going both ways for B-burg ?  4 : How many times did B-burg punt ?  This  post isn't  taking anything away from a  good Giles team, just stating what was taken away from a good B-burg team for a half a season.  I still firmly believe that the improvement  at mid season wasn't the kids but the coaching giving the kids a chance to play football.

5 minutes ago, 1bburgfan said:

Hey Ryan , while you have the film out how about a couple stats for me. 1: How many onside kicks did B-burg do and give Giles possession at  mid field or better?  2: How many times did they go for it on 4 down and fail giving Giles field position? 3:  How many kids did you see going both ways for B-burg ?  4 : How many times did B-burg punt ?  This  post isn't  taking anything away from a  good Giles team, just stating what was taken away from a good B-burg team for a half a season.  I still firmly believe that the improvement  at mid season wasn't the kids but the coaching giving the kids a chance to play football.

All that stuff was just showing the arrogance of the bburg coach...and it wasn't all him turning the season around it was the older bburg coaches telling wells we can win doing that stupid crap...so give the long time assistants more credit....THEY turned your season around

I've watched bburg scrimmage with Northside and WOW...players are so arrogant this year...something I NEVER saw out of a Dave Crist led team...all goes back to the man in charge

Oh well see ya Friday night bburg people

2 minutes ago, Hokiebird7 said:

All that stuff was just showing the arrogance of the bburg coach...and it wasn't all him turning the season around it was the older bburg coaches telling wells we can win doing that stupid crap...so give the long time assistants more credit....THEY turned your season around

I've watched bburg scrimmage with Northside and WOW...players are so arrogant this year...something I NEVER saw out of a Dave Crist led team...all goes back to the man in charge

Oh well see ya Friday night bburg people

preaching to the choir ;) notice I said coaching not coach

Edited by 1bburgfan
wanted to