VHS legit?

BAMABALL01

I'm trying to figure that out myself. Looking at there schedule most of the teams they have played are around the .500 mark with some being lower and some being a tad bit higher. With having Abingdon, Graham, Marion, and Richlands still left on their schedule, we will get to see just how legit they are. And yes I am including a 1-4 Richlands team in that  because most teams in SWVA would have  2-3 losses right now if they played Richlands schedule.

2 minutes ago, SWVAgridiron said:

I'm trying to figure that out myself. Looking at there schedule most of the teams they have played are around the .500 mark with some being lower and some being a tad bit higher. With having Abingdon, Graham, Marion, and Richlands still left on their schedule, we will get to see just how legit they are. And yes I am including a 1-4 Richlands team in that  because most teams in SWVA would have  2-3 losses right now if they played Richlands schedule.

Their offense is definitely very explosive but can their defense get stops against top SWVA offenses?

I think that when they get to tougher competition their shortcomings will show.  We played them first and they were good but I won't say great.  We shut them down in the second half and we are a much better team now then we were then.  I actually think if we replayed them it would be a much closer game.  Of course could be wrong and they may have gotten much better since then as well.  I look for Marion and Graham to be a loss.  Abingdon and Richlands will be a toss up simply because I haven't seen them play yet.

6 hours ago, stu_bean said:

I think that when they get to tougher competition their shortcomings will show.  We played them first and they were good but I won't say great.  We shut them down in the second half and we are a much better team now then we were then.  I actually think if we replayed them it would be a much closer game.  Of course could be wrong and they may have gotten much better since then as well.  I look for Marion and Graham to be a loss.  Abingdon and Richlands will be a toss up simply because I haven't seen them play yet.

Tazewell is getting better and needs to remind itself that VA High went very vanilla in second half.  35 points at halftime was kind.  Same thing with 44 points at halftime of Graham game.  

I will put my 2 cents in on this WITHOUT my Orange and Black glasses, as best I can. If you search my post history, I've stayed VERY consistent with my analysis of the Bearcats, dating back to the first "Top 10 poll" when I explained why I put VHS at number 10. I know these kids very well, and there's nothing I would post here that I wouldn't say to them, their families, or the coaches for that matter. They would all tell you the same about me. If I think a kid can't cut it, I say it. If I think a kid has potential, I say it, regardless of team.

Right now, VHS has the potential to be legit. They have a number of things the VHS football teams don't generally have. I can speak on this, as I have nearly a 30 year relationship with this program, as a fan, a former player, and now a father to 2 Bearcats. They have size, speed, athleticism, and depth. They have experience and at least on the field, they have a very tight brotherhood. They have contributors from their Sophomore thru Senior classes, but have a very talented Junior class. #s 1, 2, 5, 6, 7, 10, 14, 16, 21, and 28 have been their top non-linemen so far this year. The lines are deep on both sides of the ball. 

Their offense scores a lot with a first year QB who is getting better every game, a RB by committee who all bring something different to the table, and a very deep WR core. 

Their defense has lot of speed that has; been responsible for Tazewell's only shutout, been the last team to keep (my dark horse) JSB under 50 pts scored, shutdown one of the top 1A offenses in the region, and held a full-strength Wise Central to 14 pts, and they have a ton of room to grow. 

Oneof the secrets to their success so far, has been their stellar Special Teams play. They have multiple returns for scores, multiple blocked FGs, EPs, and Punts. 

The two biggest knocks on VHS is that they are a highly penalized team and their schedule is much tougher in the second half of the season, than it has been so far. Time will truly tell where they are. 

To me, the biggest reason for their potential turn-around has been stability at the coaching position.  Wanna know a big reason why VHS is a contender year-in and year-out in baseball? 2 head coaches in the last 4 decades. VHS has had a revolving door at FB coach, for the most part, for the last 3 decades. Coach Crist has done a great job of getting kids to buy in to his program. He has coached higher level high school FB in VA, coming from Amherst. His dad is one of the winningest high school FB coaches in the history of the state. He has football in his blood. He also gets the kids involved in a great weightlifting program, and we are starting to see the results.

I don't believe that they are the most complete team or the "top team" in the region, but I also believe that they are capable of beating anyone in the region, if they're playing their best ball. That is NEVER said about a VHS FB team. They could finish 9-1, or they could finish 5-5. I believe it's in between those at 7-3 or 8-2.

4 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

VHS is for real. It was a benefit but they played Union closer than anyone else, including Richlands and MW.

How did their QB and offense look? And can they stop good teams defensively?

I will say this about the "Bearcats"!  No one in the region expects them to win. Union was surprised at how they were played in what you want to call a "Vanilla" scrimmage. I know this, these boys have heart and are having fun.  Believe it or not, most of them love football more than baseball, and most of the athletes are baseball players.  VA High has a chip on its shoulder, and want to prove how good they are.  There is no fear in the athletes.  You can tell in the way they play.  AHS game will show if they are for real!