Question about transfers for this year.

Real Sasquatch

1 hour ago, Real Sasquatch said:

If a kid were to transfer from out of state, having played in a shortened season from another state.  Would they be eligible to play in Virginia this spring?

I don't know of anybody in this situation, just curious.

no they can not play, i know a kid moved from mt view to graham recently who played all season with mt view so he will be illegal if he were to play with graham. A kid left the beavers and moved to GW and hes not allowed to play either.

I thought the existing rule allows for 10 regular season contests.  Out of state transfers have always been immediately eligible to play.  If a kid played only 4 games in another state, they should be able to play 6 in Virginia.  That would be my rationale, unless something is written on stone for this year only.  If a kid played 7 games in abother state, they should be eligible for 3, etc... is my thinking under exixting rules.  Anybody kniw the VHSLs stance on this?

Schools can apply for a waiver of the transfer rule also., but not sure if this type of circumstance would apply. 

From what I am seeing, there is no rule in place to stop a kid from transferring to Va right now to play, unless they transfer during the playoffs.

9 hours ago, footballfanatic said:

what?  they cant play this spring in VA if they played in another state in the fall! vhsl rules.

Yes, they can. As long as they don't exceed 10 games total (regular season).  I don't think the VHSL has made any changes for this year.

5 minutes ago, Real Sasquatch said:

Yes, they can. As long as they don't exceed 10 games total (regular season).  I don't think the VHSL has made any changes for this year.

So a kid can play 4 games in WV and if they are 0-4 just quit on his team then come to VA and play the 6 regular season games and any playoff games?

If so this is the stupidest thing I've ever heard...reward a kid for quitting on his team because things were going bad

28 minutes ago, Hokiebird7 said:

So a kid can play 4 games in WV and if they are 0-4 just quit on his team then come to VA and play the 6 regular season games and any playoff games?

If so this is the stupidest thing I've ever heard...reward a kid for quitting on his team because things were going bad

Some teams in WV and other states only played 4 game  Some played less. Some played none at all.  Nobody said anybody quit anything.  I'm just posing the question.  I don't know.  I'm saying, that I don't see anything that the VHSL has put out for this year would stop that.  People move from state to state, change jobs, want better opportunities for their kids, etc. Kids move with parents, they don't just up and move by themselves.  I didn't even say it would be somebody from WV.  From the rules they've used in the past, I think they would be able to play.  Again, refer to my original post, I don't know of anybody in this situation, just putting it out there to see if anybody knows if there has been a change for this season or if a kid would be eligible in this particular scenario.  I am not the know-all end-all by any means about this, but I don't see anything in writing to stop it from happening.  VHSL rule changes for football this spring were mostly about safety measures for covid, cleaning footballs, etc...  

For that matter, a kid from Virginia could transfer from another school in Virginia prior to the playoffs and "quit" on their team as you say.  There was a rule put in place in 2017 to keep kids from transferring after the regular season to play for somebody else in the playoffs.  Up until then, kids could transfer to another school in Virginia during the playoffs.

So, yes. "I believe", that they would be able to play. 

How in the heck did this get turned into anybody quitting anything?  

34 minutes ago, Real Sasquatch said:

Some teams in WV and other states only played 4 game  Some played less. Some played none at all.  Nobody said anybody quit anything.  I'm just posing the question.  I don't know.  I'm saying, that I don't see anything that the VHSL has put out for this year would stop that.  People move from state to state, change jobs, want better opportunities for their kids, etc. Kids move with parents, they don't just up and move by themselves.  I didn't even say it would be somebody from WV.  From the rules they've used in the past, I think they would be able to play.  Again, refer to my original post, I don't know of anybody in this situation, just putting it out there to see if anybody knows if there has been a change for this season or if a kid would be eligible in this particular scenario.  I am not the know-all end-all by any means about this, but I don't see anything in writing to stop it from happening.  VHSL rule changes for football this spring were mostly about safety measures for covid, cleaning footballs, etc...  

For that matter, a kid from Virginia could transfer from another school in Virginia prior to the playoffs and "quit" on their team as you say.  There was a rule put in place in 2017 to keep kids from transferring after the regular season to play for somebody else in the playoffs.  Up until then, kids could transfer to another school in Virginia during the playoffs.

So, yes. "I believe", that they would be able to play. 

How in the heck did this get turned into anybody quitting anything?  

Just using it as a possible example...geez relax dude

If you play one game in one state you shouldn't be able to play in another state in same school year

Just now, Hokiebird7 said:

If you play one game in one state you shouldn't be able to play in another state in same school year

No problem, just overly clarifying myself.  I disagree, however.  I believe a kid should be able to play a full season, if transferring from another state.

3 hours ago, Hokiebird7 said:

this year the vhsl states you cant play in the spring season if you played in the fall! their rule,

4 hours ago, Real Sasquatch said:

ok play said kid let someone report it and see what happens. just saying let me know how that works

1 hour ago, footballfanatic said:

this year the vhsl states you cant play in the spring season if you played in the fall! their rule,

Where have they said this? Where is it written?  This is exactly why I asked the question.  The only rule changes I have seen in writing have been about covid. Please show me where I can find this information. (Not trying to be sarcastic).  

On 2/19/2021 at 11:41 PM, Real Sasquatch said:

Where have they said this? Where is it written?  This is exactly why I asked the question.  The only rule changes I have seen in writing have been about covid. Please show me where I can find this information. (Not trying to be sarcastic).  

Tom Dolan from VHSL and I quote. A student is only eligible for one season of a sport  in any school calander year. A student who played in the fall is therefore not eligible to participate in the spring in the state of VA, feel free to email if you want.

22 minutes ago, footballfanatic said:

Tom Dolan from VHSL and I quote. A student is only eligible for one season of a sport  in any school calander year. A student who played in the fall is therefore not eligible to participate in the spring in the state of VA, feel free to email if you want.

This is all I have seen in writing about it, it refers to Virginia kids transferring back to Virginia.  The VHSL most likely will not respond to an individual asking such a question, I'll take your word for it.

The fact West Virginia plans to play its regular schedule and so does Tennessee has prompted concerns that players could transfer to those states or go to private schools in order to play in the fall.  Tom Dolan, who deals with eligibility questions for the VHSL said players could do that and be eligible but could not return to Virginia and play spring football.  

1 hour ago, Real Sasquatch said:

This is all I have seen in writing about it, it refers to Virginia kids transferring back to Virginia.  The VHSL most likely will not respond to an individual asking such a question, I'll take your word for it.

The fact West Virginia plans to play its regular schedule and so does Tennessee has prompted concerns that players could transfer to those states or go to private schools in order to play in the fall.  Tom Dolan, who deals with eligibility questions for the VHSL said players could do that and be eligible but could not return to Virginia and play spring football.  

yes they cant play spring football starting tomorrow if they played this past fall, that is correct. so whats your question?

7 hours ago, Real Sasquatch said:

Good Grief. Forget about it.

how about this, if your school in va plays a kid who played in another state this past fall season you  will have to forfeit  those games. i cant make it any simpler than that. good day

36 minutes ago, footballfanatic said:

how about this, if your school in va plays a kid who played in another state this past fall season you  will have to forfeit  those games. i cant make it any simpler than that. good day

Thanks. Have a nice day.  🙂