7 on 7s

Gridiron60

4 hours ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

SwvaOG, good points.  

I do think that most people never consider the defensive value it provides.  Those DB's and LB's need that coverage time...especially the DBs. I noticed that two years during the Ridgeview/Graham 7v7, Snake Palmer was the most active coach on the field....he was using that time against Ridgeview's WR corp for some class on grass for his DBs.....especially the safeties.  He was the most vocal one out there.

12 hours ago, SwvaOG said:

I do think that most people never consider the defensive value it provides.  Those DB's and LB's need that coverage time...especially the DBs. I noticed that two years during the Ridgeview/Graham 7v7, Snake Palmer was the most active coach on the field....he was using that time against Ridgeview's WR corp for some class on grass for his DBs.....especially the safeties.  He was the most vocal one out there.

I think if coaches go into these tournaments to win it is a waste of time. If you are playing man cover with 2 high safeties on defense and running 5 verts out of empty then you are wasting your time and the kids. BUT if you are using it as a joint practice with another team and don’t care about the score then it is very useful 

15 hours ago, SwvaOG said:

Unless you are a team that goes 4 wide and throws it 70% of the time Defensive Backs are the only ones who benefit from 7 on 7 imo. 

7 minutes ago, redtiger said:

Unless you are a team that goes 4 wide and throws it 70% of the time Defensive Backs are the only ones who benefit from 7 on 7 imo. 

The LBs absolutely benefit from playing hook-curl-flat and passing crossing routes off to one another.  They don't get to see that from the scout team offense in practice very often....or at game speed with real athletes.  Also, don't forget that, hopefully, the coaches are videoing this and can use it to correct coverage/zone assignment errors.  

In my experience, DB's usually get beat by athleticism more than scheme and LBs get beat by scheme more than athleticism.  A prime example is the Ridgeview/Central playoff game two years ago.  In the second half Ridgeview isolated those outstanding LBs (at least at run support) and made them cover athletes in space.  The result was RV pulling away for the win.  Mesh and flood concepts, properly installed, are very hard for a defense to stick with man-to-man and, if you are using zone....you have to be good at passing on or carrying routes underneath.  This is why to practice all the 7v7s you can......and the conditioning aspect.

2 hours ago, SwvaOG said:

In my experience, DB's usually get beat by athleticism more than scheme and LBs get beat by scheme more than athleticism.  

Absolutely Spot on imo, and you see this not just at the High School level, but ALL levels.  Obviously, technique comes into play/is a factor with both LB's and DB's. 

On 6/21/2023 at 10:18 AM, SwvaOG said:

The LBs absolutely benefit from playing hook-curl-flat and passing crossing routes off to one another.  They don't get to see that from the scout team offense in practice very often....or at game speed with real athletes.  Also, don't forget that, hopefully, the coaches are videoing this and can use it to correct coverage/zone assignment errors.  

In my experience, DB's usually get beat by athleticism more than scheme and LBs get beat by scheme more than athleticism.  A prime example is the Ridgeview/Central playoff game two years ago.  In the second half Ridgeview isolated those outstanding LBs (at least at run support) and made them cover athletes in space.  The result was RV pulling away for the win.  Mesh and flood concepts, properly installed, are very hard for a defense to stick with man-to-man and, if you are using zone....you have to be good at passing on or carrying routes underneath.  This is why to practice all the 7v7s you can......and the conditioning aspect.

Idk how much it helps LBs without the run threat. The way to beat LBs(well any defender really) is to put them in conflict. I guess there are some benefits pertaining to passing situations but I just dont see a ton of value in it. Imo drills in a controlled setting would be more beneficial.