Liberty Bedford idea

Bluebird

I see that Liberty Bedford was not accepted into the Dogwood district for the upcoming season.  I have a different idea that might work.  Have Liberty Bedford go to the Three Rivers district. There will be a little bit of travel but they will be in schools closer to their enrollment numbers. 

I was thinking you could take Carroll County from the Three Rivers district along with Abington and Pulaski County and create a 3 team district of 3a teams. 

My idea may not be perfect but it could work. 

Abingdon doesn't have a "t" in it and the VHSL would never approve a three team district. Abingdon is perfectly happy where they are at!

I see a couple of issues here. First, the travel would make this impossible for Liberty Bedford to field quality teams. A lot of parents would keep kids from various sports and activities if every single game all school year long involved hours worth of travel. Second, Alleghany is now Class 3 in the Three Rivers District with Carroll County. There has been talk the past few years of Botetourt County needing to redraw boundaries due to the growth in and around the Daleville, Troutville, Bonsak area. It's causing overcrowding at Lord Botetourt and the thinking is, rather than build new schools, redraw some boundaries to balance the two county high schools a bit better. If that does indeed take place, James River would likely move into the Class 3 ranks.

By-in-large, district play is so insignificant in the grand scheme and Virginia has too many classifications anyway. Reduce the number of classifications to four. Allow only the smallest schools in the state to populate Class 1, regardless of location and the number of schools. Divide the remaining schools into three uniform classifications. Makes a lot more sense to me that having teams travel 165 miles for district games.

Patrick Co is going into the Three Rivers this year because of the travel issues( trips to Mecklenburg, Halifax, GW-Danville) and also getting to play schools more their size. This leaves Martinsville as the only 2A in the Piedmont so we know all to well Liberty-Bedford's predicament. Nowhere to go for the Dogs so they will take their lumps from the 4A and 3A teams in the district.

On 7/28/2023 at 6:53 AM, SXSW said:

Abingdon doesn't have a "t" in it and the VHSL would never approve a three team district. Abingdon is perfectly happy where they are at!

Maybe not a new district but the BDD is basically a 3 school district now for the most part.

On 7/28/2023 at 1:22 AM, Bluebird said:

I see that Liberty Bedford was not accepted into the Dogwood district for the upcoming season.  I have a different idea that might work.  Have Liberty Bedford go to the Three Rivers district. There will be a little bit of travel but they will be in schools closer to their enrollment numbers.

Membership in the Three Rivers was mentioned as an alternative for Liberty but I think it wasn't pursued because of the relative travel increase that would be involved.  There is actually a vocal segment of the LHS fan base that prefers membership in the Seminole because of the really easy travel logistics.  Apparently they're okay with watching their kids' team getting clobbered as long as they can be back home in bed by 10:00.