Giles JV looking for a game this week

SWVAgridiron

6 hours ago, SWVAgridiron said:

Auburn’s JV had to cancel against Giles this week due to not having enough players. Any JV teams within 2 hours of Giles have an opening for Wednesday or Thursday? If so, I can pass it along to the coaches and see if we can get these kids a game this week.

My guess is Auburn will be looking for another head coach next year. They passed up several former head coaches and stayed in-house on their last hire.

7 hours ago, Hokie Bound said:

My guess is Auburn will be looking for another head coach next year. They passed up several former head coaches and stayed in-house on their last hire.

I respect your opinion Hokie Bound and you may know well more than me about Auburn, but I'm going to guess a different route.  Unless that coach wants to leave, he can stay as long as he wants.  I'm beginning to wonder if Auburn powers that be is actually Comfortable with having a poor football program.  I know this sounds crazy, but I believe it, or I'm beginning to believe it.  I believe there are some in power that if they had a gun to their heads, they want the football program to go away, but obviously they know there are going to be some kids at Auburn and their parents that want a football program, so they are between a rock and hard place.  Why do I have this somewhat "conspiratorial" view?  Because they are basically solid in everything from horse shoes to hand grenades to badminton. Anything they play in, they do very well, as in.....often a threat for deep playoff runs and even winning the whole thing.  They have the numbers in their student body.  They have the athletes.  They have the money.  They have the brains.  They have all of this necessary foundation wise to be very good in football, so that's my take.  They are actually comfortable with the new coach. 

I find it odd that Auburn dominates is just about every other sport but have only had like one football season where they finished .500 in the last 15 years. Can’t really blame enrollment because they’re in the top 15 in 1A as far as numbers go. Just seems like the administration truly does not care about football.

14 hours ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

I respect your opinion Hokie Bound and you may know well more than me about Auburn, but I'm going to guess a different route.  Unless that coach wants to leave, he can stay as long as he wants.  I'm beginning to wonder if Auburn powers that be is actually Comfortable with having a poor football program.  I know this sounds crazy, but I believe it, or I'm beginning to believe it.  I believe there are some in power that if they had a gun to their heads, they want the football program to go away, but obviously they know there are going to be some kids at Auburn and their parents that want a football program, so they are between a rock and hard place.  Why do I have this somewhat "conspiratorial" view?  Because they are basically solid in everything from horse shoes to hand grenades to badminton. Anything they play in, they do very well, as in.....often a threat for deep playoff runs and even winning the whole thing.  They have the numbers in their student body.  They have the athletes.  They have the money.  They have the brains.  They have all of this necessary foundation wise to be very good in football, so that's my take.  They are actually comfortable with the new coach. 

Bandana you are always professional in your posts and I enjoy your insight on this board. I was thinking Auburn would hire out of house and bring in someone who is known for building programs. The current coach may do so. I don't know much about him. I just know a former head coach who was rumored to have applied that would have been a great hire for Auburn.

2 hours ago, Hokie Bound said:

Bandana you are always professional in your posts and I enjoy your insight on this board. I was thinking Auburn would hire out of house and bring in someone who is known for building programs. The current coach may do so. I don't know much about him. I just know a former head coach who was rumored to have applied that would have been a great hire for Auburn.

Jack turner? Haha 

The current head coach at Auburn has coaching experience in New York. Coupled with the fact he's been in the Riner area for quite some time now, makes the hire even more sensical. 

I don't think coaching can or will fix the issues at Auburn. I don't think the community as a whole value football to the same degree thye value every other sport. Which is proven by the amount of success they have had in virtually every other sport.

Speaking of Jack Turner, nobody in my memory has ever failed up with more gusto. He is now the Offensive Line coach and Strength and Conditioning Coordinator for Ferrum College. 

On 9/26/2023 at 8:53 AM, Hokie Bound said:

They also passed up a former player that is currently the Co offensive coordinator and offensive line coach at Chestnut Hill College. A former Auburn player that played college football and became a college coach. He's a young coach that could probably turn the program around. Not entirely sure what they would want in a coach if that wasn't it?

On 10/1/2023 at 12:42 PM, SWVAgridiron said:

Looks like the Spartan JV season may be coming to an end after 5 games. Narrows decided not to play Giles a second time. GW, Auburn, and Fort Chiswell have cancelled their seasons…. I think we’re trying to get Parry McCleur but who knows

James Monroe’s JV had 2 games canceled on them. Reach out to the school and see if they would be interested in working something out.

13 minutes ago, Wvumav said:

James Monroe’s JV had 2 games canceled on them. Reach out to the school and see if they would be interested in working something out.

That would’ve been a hell of a game considering both teams are undefeated and have blown out everyone but Giles officially ended their JV season today sadly. 

Galax and Grayson JV's played last night. It was.....something!

54-6 final and nobody scored in the 4th quarter. Galax is in for some lean years coming up. 

Glenvar 41-0
Giles 44-6
Carroll 41-0
Grayson 54-6

Some asshat dad from Galax paced the stands screaming at the top of his lungs the entire game. When some people told him he was mistaken on some rules of the game, he pulled the NFL rules page up on his phone to show us we were wrong. LOL, as if the NFL and high school football are the same game. Guy was a clown!

I don’t know how it is for everyone else but James Monroe’s JV hardly ever gets to play their schedule. Every year a couple of these teams end up canceling on us due to lack of players or guys being moved to the varsity. I don’t know why we keep scheduling them. In fact we’re playing Greenbrier West twice this year in a home and home series. I think that’s the answer for us going forward. Find teams you can count on and see if they are willing to do that. These kids deserve to be able to play plus it will help keep them interested in playing through their varsity years too.

6 minutes ago, Wvumav said:

I don’t know how it is for everyone else but James Monroe’s JV hardly ever gets to play their schedule. Every year a couple of these teams end up canceling on us due to lack of players or guys being moved to the varsity. I don’t know why we keep scheduling them. In fact we’re playing Greenbrier West twice this year in a home and home series. I think that’s the answer for us going forward. Find teams you can count on and see if they are willing to do that. These kids deserve to be able to play plus it will help keep them interested in playing through their varsity years too.

Anytime you are Single A or Double A, or Class 1, Class 2, and you are a JV Coach and/or AD, what would common Normal leadership be in the form of planning ahead?

Based on the above, how many Decades have JV games been getting canceled? Literally decades it happens all the time. So if you are Giles or JM and you don't play each other, but you know you are close in distance, you simply pick the phone up in August, use the English language, and speak to your counterpart and you PLAN for what's to come in case the obvious happens. "Hey, team A might cancel in 2 months, if you have a cancel, what do you think, do you want to play?" It's literally a 3 minute phone call in August.

I blame JM and Giles MORE than I do the teams that canceled because both had pisspoor leadership because a part of leadership is planning and thinking ahead. There was no planning or thinking ahead. 

Sorry for the rant, but shi$ like this angers me because it effects the kids. The kids on Giles JV could still be playing if perhaps an additional 12 to 15 minutes of phone calls to 3 or 4 schools in August would have occurred. Same for JM.  

P.S Credit to Swvagridiron for putting in the work and posting/trying to get the young BandanaBunch some ballgames, but he shouldn't have to do this. There should have been 3 or 4 teams in the pipeline, already communicated with in August in case the cancels happen. With our AD, I can assure you, this didn't happen. 

14 minutes ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

P.S Credit to Swvagridiron for putting in the work and posting/trying to get the young BandanaBunch some ballgames, but he shouldn't have to do this. There should have been 3 or 4 teams in the pipeline, already communicated with in August in case the cancels happen. With our AD, I can assure you, this didn't happen. 

I even messaged some of my old friends that coach at other schools trying to get games lined up. My nephew plays JV and I could see how it was affecting him with practicing week after week but never getting to play a game. I hate it for those kids. If I’m Giles next season, I’m not even going to attempt to schedule any of the teams that cancelled this season whether they are in the district or not. 

1 hour ago, sixcat said:

Galax and Grayson JV's played last night. It was.....something!

54-6 final and nobody scored in the 4th quarter. Galax is in for some lean years coming up. 

Glenvar 41-0
Giles 44-6
Carroll 41-0
Grayson 54-6

Some asshat dad from Galax paced the stands screaming at the top of his lungs the entire game. When some people told him he was mistaken on some rules of the game, he pulled the NFL rules page up on his phone to show us we were wrong. LOL, as if the NFL and high school football are the same game. Guy was a clown!

I applaud Galax for still playing. After those blowouts they could’ve thrown in the towel but they didn’t like these other schools 

18 minutes ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Anytime you are Single A or Double A, or Class 1, Class 2, and you are a JV Coach and/or AD, what would common Normal leadership be in the form of planning ahead?

Based on the above, how many Decades have JV games been getting canceled? Literally decades it happens all the time. So if you are Giles or JM and you don't play each other, but you know you are close in distance, you simply pick the phone up in August, use the English language, and speak to your counterpart and you PLAN for what's to come in case the obvious happens. "Hey, team A might cancel in 2 months, if you have a cancel, what do you think, do you want to play?" It's literally a 3 minute phone call in August.

I blame JM and Giles MORE than I do the teams that canceled because both had pisspoor leadership because a part of leadership is planning and thinking ahead. There was no planning or thinking ahead. 

Sorry for the rant, but shi$ like this angers me because it effects the kids. The kids on Giles JV could still be playing if perhaps an additional 12 to 15 minutes of phone calls to 3 or 4 schools in August would have occurred. Same for JM.  

You’re right it’s on both of us! I know being a AD and working out schedules for every sport must be a major headache! Football wise though we go through this every year so you should learn from your mistakes. We had some issues a few years ago where we didn’t have enough to have a JV but luckily now our numbers are back up again and hopefully it will stay that way. I know our varsity’s were supposed to play each other this year but Nicholas County wouldn’t let us out of our contract and that’s the only date Giles and JM had open together. So hopefully in the very near future we will be playing each other and things might be better for both of us scheduling wise.

28 minutes ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Our AD isn't going to put in much effort at all