Galax @ Giles

nrv_football

Wow, this is a lot to take in as I'm late to the conversation. My experiences with Giles is the following and I'm a fairly trusted source as I have talked to numerous players in my living room for 5 years now along with my own personal observations. My first observation was the off-season workouts were almost non-existent compared to our competition and was told "it's a family" thing or whatever excuse they used to not have a decent off-season program which hasn't really improved in 5 years. Thing's progressed through j.v. and I have zero negative to say about the AD or his staff during the JV years. J.v. years didn't exactly last long as ...varsity was really struggling with numbers and talent. Varsity football is a train wreck at Giles. Here's the list of problems that I know personally exists... off-season program is terrible and nobody on staff is willing to take charge and hold kids accountable, the kids don't like or respect a coach that doesn't coach but only belittles them, Xs and Os are not as good as they once were, kids play different positions every single week and are yelled at because they don't always know what to do or have practiced the position. These are my opinions.. participation is probably held back by the fact that the kids don't like the coach and Giles has losing records for the last 5 out of 6 years. Losing breeds losing and it's a vicious cycle. Once the culture changes it's impossible without a major change to right the ship. I've read on FB the senior spotlights for players for years and they all mention every coach making an impact on them except the head coach?! It's no secret which coaches the players respect. Play calling has become exceptionally bad and it's telegraphed at this point, Clock management is terrible, and plays are called it seems to give certain players the ball regardless of whether they have the "hot hand" or not. Not sure what the parents have to do with anything as all I've seen is unwaivering support for a busted program. The only thing negative I would say about the AD is the scheduling absolutely puts Giles at a disadvantage scheduling teams year after year we have absolutely no business playing. Giles needs a hungry coach that wants to win above all things and plain and simply we don't have. In fact, the believe he handcuffs some of his staff that wants these things. RIP for a long standing dominant program that was once envied by the entire state. 

1 hour ago, sixcat said:

Galax has two 10th graders and zero 9th graders contributing at the varsity level. They have a slew of them watching from the sidelines but rarely see the field. I just don’t believe adding those 9th and 10th grade varsity players to the JV lineup gets Galax a lot closer to the Giles JV squad that dismantled Galax a month ago.

Maybe I’m wrong but the Giles JV’s was better at every position!!!

Interested to see how that translates to varsity in the coming years for Giles. 

Interesting enough that Giles J.V. success has a very low translation rate to varsity?!?! At J.V age its about natural talent and once they get passed by every other school that has emplemented an actual off-season program, the excuses get made about the kids, the parents, the weather, etc etc etc.....it shouldn't be that hard to figure out what Giles problem is at this point 

20 minutes ago, 1Wingit23 said:

Wow, this is a lot to take in as I'm late to the conversation. My experiences with Giles is the following and I'm a fairly trusted source as I have talked to numerous players in my living room for 5 years now along with my own personal observations. My first observation was the off-season workouts were almost non-existent compared to our competition and was told "it's a family" thing or whatever excuse they used to not have a decent off-season program which hasn't really improved in 5 years. Thing's progressed through j.v. and I have zero negative to say about the AD or his staff during the JV years. J.v. years didn't exactly last long as ...varsity was really struggling with numbers and talent. Varsity football is a train wreck at Giles. Here's the list of problems that I know personally exists... off-season program is terrible and nobody on staff is willing to take charge and hold kids accountable, the kids don't like or respect a coach that doesn't coach but only belittles them, Xs and Os are not as good as they once were, kids play different positions every single week and are yelled at because they don't always know what to do or have practiced the position. These are my opinions.. participation is probably held back by the fact that the kids don't like the coach and Giles has losing records for the last 5 out of 6 years. Losing breeds losing and it's a vicious cycle. Once the culture changes it's impossible without a major change to right the ship. I've read on FB the senior spotlights for players for years and they all mention every coach making an impact on them except the head coach?! It's no secret which coaches the players respect. Play calling has become exceptionally bad and it's telegraphed at this point, Clock management is terrible, and plays are called it seems to give certain players the ball regardless of whether they have the "hot hand" or not. Not sure what the parents have to do with anything as all I've seen is unwaivering support for a busted program. The only thing negative I would say about the AD is the scheduling absolutely puts Giles at a disadvantage scheduling teams year after year we have absolutely no business playing. Giles needs a hungry coach that wants to win above all things and plain and simply we don't have. In fact, the believe he handcuffs some of his staff that wants these things. RIP for a long standing dominant program that was once envied by the entire state. 

Bullbutter

Odd that Narrows seems to be on the up and coming and Giles is in serious decline. Giles JV seems has been pretty good the past few years hopefully that will translate to Varisity the next few years. Well unless half of them quit or transfer to Narrows to play lol

20 minutes ago, nrv_football said:

Odd that Narrows seems to be on the up and coming and Giles is in serious decline. Giles JV seems has been pretty good the past few years hopefully that will translate to Varisity the next few years. Well unless half of them quit or transfer to Narrows to play lol

1 hour ago, nrv_football said:

The denial is strong in here

4 hours ago, nrv_football said:

Narrows plays nobody in their district....pioneer is pretty much over once the first day of practice starts

2 hours ago, Hokiebird7 said:

Narrows plays nobody in their district....pioneer is pretty much over once the first day of practice starts

Couldn't the same thing be said about Giles being over as soon as the first practice starts? One playoff win since 2018 and beat a team that didn't even have a winning record for that. (Eastern Montgomery 5-5 2021) In the same time frame Narrows has 5 playoff wins and have went to the regional finals. P.S. that's 4 more!

4 minutes ago, 1Wingit23 said:

Couldn't the same thing be said about Giles being over as soon as the first practice starts? One playoff win since 2018 and beat a team that didn't even have a winning record for that. (Eastern Montgomery 5-5 2021) In the same time frame Narrows has 5 playoff wins and have went to the regional finals. P.S. that's 4 more!

If you say so

Who are narrows 5 playoff wins?

41 minutes ago, nrv_football said:

Giles could turn it around if the JV team stays together into Varsity. Unfortunately who knows if that happens.

Giles had a 40 year dynasty. Not likely to turn it around anytime soon unless something major changes. PSA This Giles team beat Narrows in JV and Narrows had a healthy Crigger to complement Pruett. If Crigger wasn't injured and played against Giles, there's little doubt that Narrows wins by 2-3 TDs this year. J.V. doesn't translate into varsity success unfortunately when nobody is giving the kids the resources to be successful 

20 minutes ago, 1Wingit23 said:

Giles had a 40 year dynasty. Not likely to turn it around anytime soon unless something major changes. PSA This Giles team beat Narrows in JV and Narrows had a healthy Crigger to complement Pruett. If Crigger wasn't injured and played against Giles, there's little doubt that Narrows wins by 2-3 TDs this year. J.V. doesn't translate into varsity success unfortunately when nobody is giving the kids the resources to be successful 

Would you like to be the head coach when Jeff hangs it up?

On 10/11/2023 at 8:39 PM, Hokiebird7 said:

Would you like to be the head coach when Jeff hangs it up?

I went to college to play football not to get a teaching degree that qualifies you to be a coach. Maybe you should with your 1 year of j.v football experience??!?!  You claim to know an awful lot for someone who didn't even play hahahaha 😂

Wins isn JV does not translate to Varsity success. Some schools don’t place much emphasis on JV wins. Galax has traditionally  been an easy win for most programs as they work on getting them ready for varsity. 
  I seen kids at Grayson lose one game per year in 8 th grade team and 9th and 10th grade JV years . To go 3-7 their junior year and 5-5 their senior year. 

1 hour ago, 1Wingit23 said:

I went to college to play football not to get a teaching degree that qualifies you to be a coach. Maybe you should with your 1 year of j.v football experience??!?!  You claim to know an awful lot for someone who didn't even play hahahaha 😂

Haha you crack me up

2 hours ago, 1Wingit23 said:

Bullbutter