2023 Arby's Classic Tournament @ Tennessee High and the 2023 Alpha Invitational Tournament @ Dobyns Bennett

BlueDevil4Life2008

1 hour ago, gwloyal said:

I appreciate you saying this so I didn't have to 😂

Helluva game. 

Tough way to lose, but in no way disappointed in our guys a single bit. 

Just saw the clip, GW played so well but what then hell kinda defense on the last possession was that? Just gave the kid an easy layup. 

but GW shouldn’t be too disappointed other than giving up a late lead. They’ve been the single most impressive story in the Arbys I think. 1A gotta be on NOTICE. 

9 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

Just saw the clip, GW played so well but what then hell kinda defense on the last possession was that? Just gave the kid an easy layup. 

but GW shouldn’t be too disappointed other than giving up a late lead. They’ve been the single most impressive story in the Arbys I think. 1A gotta be on NOTICE. 

Tried to get in the way enough to make it too late to get off but also not foul. I can’t blame the reasoning. He got it off with maybe a tenth to spare. 

40 minutes ago, 1inStripes said:

Tried to get in the way enough to make it too late to get off but also not foul. I can’t blame the reasoning. He got it off with maybe a tenth to spare. 

I mean, they kinda just stood there lol. Also, most end of game plays that are successful end with the person who gets the ball first taking the shot. I’m a firm believer in forcing a pass, that takes up time and creates more chaos. It’s easy to say from my couch but I’d rather force him to give it up than to build up a head of steam and get an easy look. 

16 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

I mean, they kinda just stood there lol. Also, most end of game plays that are successful end with the person who gets the ball first taking the shot. I’m a firm believer in forcing a pass, that takes up time and creates more chaos. It’s easy to say from my couch but I’d rather force him to give it up than to build up a head of steam and get an easy look. 

I get it. All I can figure is that we were overly anticipating contending, but not fouling, a pull up. 

Rainey nearly nearly got a piece of that layup it appears, as well. So close man. 

1 minute ago, gwloyal said:

I get it. All I can figure is that we were overly anticipating contending, but not fouling, a pull up. 

Rainey nearly nearly got a piece of that layup it appears, as well. So close man. 

That’s exactly what it seemed like. GW expected a shot from either at the line or a 15 footer and we’re not expecting them to try to get to the bucket. It’s risky but it paid off for them. You guys should still be insanely optimistic going forward, damn near made the semis in the winners bracket beating two much more regarded teams. Go beat Harlan and keep going. 

7 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

That’s exactly what it seemed like. GW expected a shot from either at the line or a 15 footer and we’re not expecting them to try to get to the bucket. It’s risky but it paid off for them. You guys should still be insanely optimistic going forward, damn near made the semis in the winners bracket beating two much more regarded teams. Go beat Harlan and keep going. 

Thanks man, and we sure are. Gained a ton of confidence last week in Gatlinburg and the experience this week has brought us as been priceless. 

I have a feeling home games are gonna get a lot more crowded lol 

35 minutes ago, gwloyal said:

Just occurred to me there were buzzer beaters at the end of the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th quarters, too. 

Y’all got yours a quarter too early lol. 

do you know if you guys play anywhere close to BSG this year? I’d like to see this squad up close. 

Arby's Classic day 4 schedule:

Morning session:

6th place bracket:
Game 20--Dorman vs. Oak Ridge
Game 21--Maryville vs. Independence

5th place bracket:
Game 22--George Wythe vs. Harlan County
Game 23--South Shore vs. Imhotep

Evening session:

Arby's Classic semifinals:
Game 24--Kell vs. Mentor
Game 25--Jackson-Reed vs. Mater Lakes

11 hours ago, BigWinners said:

Y’all got yours a quarter too early lol. 

do you know if you guys play anywhere close to BSG this year? I’d like to see this squad up close. 

10 hours ago, swva_havok_fan said:

G-Dub plays us at Virginia High sometime later this year. May be a bit too far for you though. Lol

I actually haven't seen where we were playing back down that way after this week, but that certainly doesn't mean we aren't lol! I'll be on the lookout for it.

The rest of the schedule I have has us playing at home or east the rest of the way. Some home games of interest are Roanoke Catholic (1/12), Dobyns-Bennett (1/20), Auburn (2/2), and Narrows (2/3).

34 minutes ago, gwloyal said:

I actually haven't seen where we were playing back down that way after this week, but that certainly doesn't mean we aren't lol! I'll be on the lookout for it.

The rest of the schedule I have has us playing at home or east the rest of the way. Some home games of interest are Roanoke Catholic (1/12), Dobyns-Bennett (1/20), Auburn (2/2), and Narrows (2/3).

The D-B game is the one I'm talking about when I refer to "us" lol. That game is actually at Virginia High in that Big Shots tournament or showcase or whatever it is. 

3 hours ago, swva_havok_fan said:

The D-B game is the one I'm talking about when I refer to "us" lol. That game is actually at Virginia High in that Big Shots tournament or showcase or whatever it is. 

How many teams? Seems like it might be worth driving to VHS if it’s multiple games. 

4 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

How many teams? Seems like it might be worth driving to VHS if it’s multiple games. 

I think last year it was like 30 some teams playing multiple games over 3 days. John Marshall is playing in it this year I know. Not sure who against though. Oak Hill typically plays in it as well. 

1 hour ago, swva_havok_fan said:

Spoke to a Harlan County parent sitting beside me just now. 

This is their 7th game in the last 10 days. Crazy. 

@gwloyal are you here? Would love to say hello to you. 

Unfortunately, I'm watching from home or I absolutely would.

And I feel their pain lol! Today was our 6th in 10 days, and that Mentor game last night should count for two 😂 We looked like we were wearing it a little bit in the early going. Noah is the truth, but it sure did feel to me like Carter was the difference today...He was a tough matchup for us today, for sure. 

Just now, gwloyal said:

Unfortunately, I'm watching from home or I absolutely would.

And I feel their pain lol! Today was our 6th in 10 days, and that Mentor game last night should count for two 😂 We looked like we were wearing it a little bit in the early going. Noah is the truth, but it sure did feel to me like Carter was the difference today...He was a tough matchup for us today, for sure. 

Yeah man... Kentucky high school basketball is just on another level compared to Virginia or Tennessee. 

Only one state champion. No classifications. Crazy. 

I think Harlan will win the 13th region with little resistance. May win a game or two at Rupp in the sweet 16 as well depending on the draw.