Uva-Wise Tournament

Wade_1

2 hours ago, swva_havok_fan said:

This tournament is a joke. 

You have a right to your opinion but if you don’t like it, don’t go, don’t read about it, don’t worry about it. Why make a comment like that?  There’s always a negative Nancy out there. 

53 minutes ago, Fan said:

You have a right to your opinion but if you don’t like it, don’t go, don’t read about it, don’t worry about it. Why make a comment like that?  There’s always a negative Nancy out there. 

Don't worry. Haven't ever been don't ever plan to in the future either. Lol

27 minutes ago, swva_havok_fan said:

Invite more variety of teams maybe? 

Look at the matchups today... 

Ridgeview plays Eastside. They play again on Wednesday. 

Honaker plays Lebanon 

Rye Cove and Burton 

Union and Central. 

You shouldn't be playing rivals or conference opponents in a holiday tournament. 

This was due to the outcome of the tournament. Not by scheduling haha

Just now, Wade_1 said:

This was due to the outcome of the tournament. Not by scheduling haha

If you look at the bracket in the first round, everyone is away from their district opponents for the most part. 

9 minutes ago, Wade_1 said:

If you look at the bracket in the first round, everyone is away from their district opponents for the most part. 

Lmao. It's inevitable! Sure you can draw the bracket up that way for the first round but there is no way possible that you're going to avoid it the entire tournament. 

I will say one good thing about this... At least it IS a tournament. 

The Food City Thanksgiving Tournament at Sullivan East is worse than this. It's CALLED a tournament but it's NOT a tournament. The schools in it each play three games during the week. Best record is the tournament "champion". If two teams go 3-0 then they're Co champions. But at least district matchups are avoided in it. 

15 minutes ago, Clippers#1 said:

It would be super nice if uva wise would recruit the kids that play in the tournament . I cant understand them. All the talent that has passed by them.. 

it’s not just their basketball program that does this. There are superb football and baseball players in this area and they just refuse to recruit from our area from some reason. It is quite a shame

48 minutes ago, swva_havok_fan said:

Honaker plays Lebanon 

Rye Cove and Burton 

Union and Central. 

You shouldn't be playing rivals or conference opponents in a holiday tournament. 

Completely understand where you’re coming from. Does it make sense to play teams in a tourney that you might have to end up playing in the playoffs? Nope not at all. But personally that’s what I find entertaining about it. Watching multiple rivalry games in one day only for 10 dollars is a sports fan dream

55 minutes ago, swva_havok_fan said:

Honaker plays Lebanon 

Rye Cove and Burton 

Union and Central. 

Good take

8 minutes ago, Stelley said:

Completely understand where you’re coming from. Does it make sense to play teams in a tourney that you might have to end up playing in the playoffs? Nope not at all. But personally that’s what I find entertaining about it. Watching multiple rivalry games in one day only for 10 dollars is a sports fan dream

You're right... 

I can see now where I was perhaps a little bit harsh. 

Based on the responses looks like majority agrees with you. 

I should've said "I don't like this tournament" and left it at that. 

Holiday tournaments to me are supposed to be about fresh matchups that aren't likely to be seen or at the very least maybe a future playoff rematch later down the road. 

13 minutes ago, swva_havok_fan said:

You're right... 

I can see now where I was perhaps a little bit harsh. 

Based on the responses looks like majority agrees with you. 

I should've said "I don't like this tournament" and left it at that. 

Holiday tournaments to me are supposed to be about fresh matchups that aren't likely to be seen or at the very least maybe a future playoff rematch later down the road. 

It’s not like there’s a bunch of schools within distance of Wise, and Wise doesn’t have the draw that Bristol does in terms of hosting schools from way out of town etc.  More Kentucky schools would be good, I know Letcher came a few years ago

I agree that you don’t want to play a team 3-4 times a year, that’s definitely the drawback, but it’s a good chance for local kids to play in a nice facility in a tournament setting.  

12 minutes ago, Tigerman10 said:

It’s not like there’s a bunch of schools within distance of Wise, and Wise doesn’t have the draw that Bristol does in terms of hosting schools from way out of town etc.  More Kentucky schools would be good, I know Letcher came a few years ago

I agree that you don’t want to play a team 3-4 times a year, that’s definitely the drawback, but it’s a good chance for local kids to play in a nice facility in a tournament setting.  

Me and a fellow member of the board were talking about this on Facebook this morning. 

Invite a couple of the Kentucky schools. Also some of the smaller Tennessee schools who don't get invited to holiday tournaments like Happy Valley or Unaka or UH. 

I'm not positive but I don't believe West Ridge was doing anything this week. If they were my daughter didn't mention it. 

8 hours ago, Clippers#1 said:

It would be super nice if uva wise would recruit the kids that play in the tournament . I cant understand them. All the talent that has passed by them.. 

yet they wonder why they can’t get the seats filled up… high school games played in the convo draw more community than the college does.

And of course. The third place game goes into OT with Central beating Union.

Then the championship game goes into OT, Lebanon wins with a buzzer beater. 

back to back nights of double OT games for the main events. 

37 minutes ago, Wade_1 said:

And of course. The third place game goes into OT with Central beating Union.

Then the championship game goes into OT, Lebanon wins with a buzzer beater. 

back to back nights of double OT games for the main events. 

This kind of stuff just doesn’t happen at the Arby’s

Reece and Lambert have become my favorite duo in SWVA, Reece averaged 16.5 PPG and 11RPG while Lambert averaged 17ppg, these 2 dudes are legit from Lebanon. Pioneers are starting to become a fun team to watch, congrats to them!

30 minutes ago, Magic09 said:

Reece and Lambert have become my favorite duo in SWVA, Reece averaged 16.5 PPG and 11RPG while Lambert averaged 17ppg, these 2 dudes are legit from Lebanon. Pioneers are starting to become a fun team to watch, congrats to them!

these two plus having four more guys who can score double digits any night makes them scary

I would imagine that schedules are made a year in advance.  Sure it would be nice to invite defending district, region, and state championship teams, but how many of those are interested in playing in the combined 1D/2D regional tourney?  You want it to grow, you gotta figure out a way to get some top tier teams to come in.  If they can't compete against others of at least equal talent, they won't.   As far as recruiting local talent, it's the same in every sport it seems with UVA-Wise.  At the same time, and no offense to anyone, but the 1D/2D stat leaders might not be exactly what they're looking for.  Good or even great amongst SWVA may not be good enough to impact the game even at the level of UVA-Wise.  Their coach used to be an old P.H. Rebel but I'm not sure now, I don't keep up with it much anymore.

14 minutes ago, S10SQUAREBODY4LIFE said:

I would imagine that schedules are made a year in advance.  Sure it would be nice to invite defending district, region, and state championship teams, but how many of those are interested in playing in the combined 1D/2D regional tourney?  You want it to grow, you gotta figure out a way to get some top tier teams to come in.  If they can't compete against others of at least equal talent, they won't.   As far as recruiting local talent, it's the same in every sport it seems with UVA-Wise.  At the same time, and no offense to anyone, but the 1D/2D stat leaders might not be exactly what they're looking for.  Good or even great amongst SWVA may not be good enough to impact the game even at the level of UVA-Wise.  Their coach used to be an old P.H. Rebel but I'm not sure now, I don't keep up with it much anymore.

What needs to grow?  This tourney serves the purpose it was intended for, to provide local teams and local fans a holiday tournament against regional competition in a facility that is second to none.