Uva-Wise Tournament

Wade_1

not so much as "needs to grow" but expand to some teams from outside the region, or at least get to see different match-ups.  I was reading the other posts and was under the impression a few matchups are too frequent with the teams playing each other on their regular schedule aside from the tourney.  I'm not sure if it hurts/helps playing the same team multiple times a season.  It is a nice venue, and good for teams to play on a big floor against possible regional opponents later in the post-season.  I don't know the in's and outs of the setup, but maybe try to get the surrounding district champs and solid teams first, along with some tn, ky, and some region c teams that might be possible opponents on the way to richmond.  

1 minute ago, S10SQUAREBODY4LIFE said:

not so much as "needs to grow" but expand to some teams from outside the region, or at least get to see different match-ups.  I was reading the other posts and was under the impression a few matchups are too frequent with the teams playing each other on their regular schedule aside from the tourney.  I'm not sure if it hurts/helps playing the same team multiple times a season.  It is a nice venue, and good for teams to play on a big floor against possible regional opponents later in the post-season.  I don't know the in's and outs of the setup, but maybe try to get the surrounding district champs and solid teams first, along with some tn, ky, and some region c teams that might be possible opponents on the way to richmond.  

Yeah, I'm not going to argue with the folks on here anymore about it.  I am in the thought process that you are that there needs to be more variety.  It has the potential to be a great tournament, but I don't want to spend $10-$15, whatever the session cost is to watch district games in a holiday tournament.  It's apparent the majority of the folks on here like this tournament the way it is though, so be it.

I didn't even like the fact that D-B played Maryville last week in the Arby's.  Even though it's not a district or even region matchup, it is a decent possibility it could be a substate matchup later down the road.

With this tournament, I am under the impression that head coaches do not like playing their district opponents, however they like to play their region opponents to gauge how they are vs the other region. 

My understanding is matchups like

Chilhowie and Honaker vs Eastside and Burton are okay with them

but Eastside vs Burton is not ideal

vise versa with Chilhowie vs Honaker

same goes with 2a.

Matchups that include Union and Central vs Lebanon and Virginia High are okay

but Union vs Central is not. 
Vice versa with Lebanon vs Virginia High. 

These are just examples from this years tournament 

1 hour ago, swva_havok_fan said:

Yeah, I'm not going to argue with the folks on here anymore about it.  I am in the thought process that you are that there needs to be more variety.  It has the potential to be a great tournament, but I don't want to spend $10-$15, whatever the session cost is to watch district games in a holiday tournament.  It's apparent the majority of the folks on here like this tournament the way it is though, so be it.

I didn't even like the fact that D-B played Maryville last week in the Arby's.  Even though it's not a district or even region matchup, it is a decent possibility it could be a substate matchup later down the road.

I’m going to agree with this. It’s fun to see teams play who don’t typically play each other year in and year out. It’s fun to see some inter-state match ups as well. In a tournament you shouldn’t be playing a district opponent.

Even if you played against teams you never seen or heard of, people would still gripe.  Excellent tournament,  I think they do a great job with what they have.  You are never going to make some people happy.  Simple as that.

4 minutes ago, pakdastands said:

Look how many OT games there were.  But I guess people would rather watch blow outs.

I don't think you'd see blowouts if the PVNB would invite teams like West Ridge, Unicoi County, Letcher Central, Pike Central and maybe another SWD team.  Instead of having four M7, three Cumberland, and three Hogo.

Yes Arby's typically has blowouts in the first round when it's a local vs. a non local, but after that it's pretty competitive.

Just this year alone, Arby's had:

• one of the best games in the history of the tournament with Mentor and George Wythe.
  • a comeback for the ages with Imhotep (down 27 with 4 minutes left in the third to win over Maryville)
  • tournament records set with 3's in one game by a team and 3's by a team for the tournament.

Not to mention all the D1 and future power 5 players you're going to see on a yearly basis.

Unfortunately there were only a few folks who saw that 27 point comeback by Imhotep as that was the late game that night and even myself left at that point, because even I feel that a 27 point lead is pretty safe at the high school level.

1 hour ago, swva_havok_fan said:

I don't think you'd see blowouts if the PVNB would invite teams like West Ridge, Unicoi County, Letcher Central, Pike Central and maybe another SWD team.  Instead of having four M7, three Cumberland, and three Hogo.

Yes Arby's typically has blowouts in the first round when it's a local vs. a non local, but after that it's pretty competitive.

Just this year alone, Arby's had:

• one of the best games in the history of the tournament with Mentor and George Wythe.
  • a comeback for the ages with Imhotep (down 27 with 4 minutes left in the third to win over Maryville)
  • tournament records set with 3's in one game by a team and 3's by a team for the tournament.

Not to mention all the D1 and future power 5 players you're going to see on a yearly basis.

Unfortunately there were only a few folks who saw that 27 point comeback by Imhotep as that was the late game that night and even myself left at that point, because even I feel that a 27 point lead is pretty safe at the high school level.

Valid arguments. I’d just rather see competitive games between teams from our area. One of the other major differences between the two tourneys is the fans. Just feels like there’s no atmosphere at the Arby’s compared to what it used to be. Personally I enjoy all the fans yelling at the refs or when someone’s grandpa starts talking crap to the student section. Nothing like swva basketball

On 12/30/2023 at 2:52 PM, swva_havok_fan said:

You're right... 

I can see now where I was perhaps a little bit harsh. 

Based on the responses looks like majority agrees with you. 

I should've said "I don't like this tournament" and left it at that. 

Holiday tournaments to me are supposed to be about fresh matchups that aren't likely to be seen or at the very least maybe a future playoff rematch later down the road. 

I agree with you on the tournament needing different teams.  The coal classic that was in Appalachia back in the day was way better than this.  If I remember correctly half the teams were from Virginia and the other half Kentucky teams 

9 hours ago, Duke2015 said:

I agree with you on the tournament needing different teams.  The coal classic that was in Appalachia back in the day was way better than this.  If I remember correctly half the teams were from Virginia and the other half Kentucky teams 

That was a good tournament.  I remember Haysi playing in that a few times back in the day.  Some good games back then.