RHS Band?

Fresh_Prince

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why it such a big deal to YOU that the band took two buses. The band students and band boosters raised the money to pay for those buses. It is the bands business as to what they want to spend the money, THEY raised, on. I am under the impression that the school paid for the football teams bus, maybe if the football team needed more than one charter bus the football Blues Parents Club could have used some of their money they raised to obtain another charter bus. Dream on if you think the band is given everything. The football team is feed every week by a local church group (for a fact my family helps prepare and serve them when my church feeds them) and then they are also feed by money donated from several businesses and individuals. The band is not!!! When the band does get feed before a game it is usually done by the boosters or a few of the band parents. As far as the football team being 10x more important, the band isn't in competition with the football team they are there supporting the TEAM!!!! Yes the football team is important to certain/some people and the band is important to other/some people. I think you need to talk to some of the football players and see what their actual feelings is on the band, you might be surprised. I am sure some of them respect and appreciate the band for being there supporting the team. The band doesn't purposely play while the team is praying. I am sure that Mr. Swartz doesn't realize half the time what is going on out on the field at that time. He is trying to commuicate with the band students as to what is going to be going on the next week before he lets them go for the evening.

it isn't that big of a deal but if you want to make it one its fine. i was just asking questions to see if anyone knew why the band was playing on offense and if it was out of disrespect or just not knowing what is going on. i just wanted to know why? i wasn't stating anything, i was just asking hoping someone knew why. just wondering if you dont mind

To be honest i didnt think the band was playing while the team was on offense. They may have but i sure didnt realize. The only thing i heard them play on offense in the Tech "Stick it in" drum feature. I know when i was in the band we NEVER played on offense, and that was only about 5 years ago. But, im not calling you all liars, im just saying i never realized they were playing on offense, but then again im more focused on the game then what the band is playing.

[ QUOTE ]

Even if they had more people than the football team they shouldnt have got to take 2 charter buses because the football team is 10x more important than the band...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yet, even if the BAND itself pays for the buses, they should be limited to one?

Narz_Wave: i didnt know that they payed for them, thats why i was asking. but someone else said in this post "that 3 long, bumby hours on a school bus would suck." well the football half the football team had too last year to state.

Prince, The football team and the band are two separate entities. The band raises it's own money and it's up to them to spend it the way they see fit. Football is funded through gate receipts. Band is funded mostly through fund raisers and donations. The only money they get from football comes from the sale of programs, and as stated already, they don't even get to run the concession stand like the bands at other schools do (which is a shame because we need an upgrade in that department). It's really not important how many charter buses they took to Lynchburg. What is important is they were there supporting the Blues. If you were at the Bassett game in 2004 (when the band wasn't) you know how important that support is.

[ QUOTE ]

i was at the Bassett game...but Richlands won that game didn't they...and went on to play Salem in the Semifinals?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes they did beat Bassett 7-6 that night but the point is they were missed.

i talked to swartz today and he said he has personally talked to coach Mance...Mance is happy with what the band did friday night...and the reason we dont play in half of the timeouts is b/c they r standing right there...they cant hear...and the only time we played on offence...if i recall...is the stick it in...and we stop that asap...and more than likley we r not marching at HV...we have 4 drummers and a few others taking the SAT...which is WAY more important

[ QUOTE ]

Last yr's drum major was hot. the girl that is

[/ QUOTE ]

haha! That's funny! There are a lot of things that goes on in the band program that a lot of people have no clue about. Just because they have Richlands High School before their name people automatically associate us with everything that goes on in the school. Wrong. Yes, we support the school but they pay for nothing and I mean nothing. We pay for every single charter bus, every drop of gas, we pay the drivers, we do it all. We even raised all the money and donations to go to New York City in 2004 and march in the Philadelphia Thanksgiving Day parade. So Fresh_Prince before you get on here thinking you know everything you might want to wise up. The Band and the football team are TWO different things.

Oh, and as for playing while they were on offense that's probably false. Trust me I know what I'm talking about. I was one of their leaders for two years. Just get your facts straight.

And as for the band not knowing what is going on during a football game that's entirely false too!

warerboy, I can understand why you think the football team deserved two charter buses (because I think so too) but like Carlina_06 said above, the school/county didn't pay for it. They paid for one charter bus for the football team and zero charter buses for the band.

[ QUOTE ]

I do agree that it sucks that they got two charter busses the jv team watorboys and some coaches had to be cramped in that activity bus

[/ QUOTE ]

You won't have that to worry about this year will ya?

well as for the band playing while the blues are on offence, is totaly false. i have no dog in this race, but i have been at every game for the last 3 years and set right behind the band and have never noticed them playing while we was on offence. there are times they could play a little more when we are on deffence, but they cant play all the time i do understand that.

as for the buses who cares if each one of them ride a limo.

to be a true blue you have to support all the blues not just the ones you choose.