Let's discuss the "Post" post season (VA)

sandman

I don't think anything will be changing other than how many schools are in the districts. I don't see VHSL stepping in and saying that more schools are needed here and more schools are needed there. I just see two really big schools in the PD in Magna Vista and Bassett with each having around 1,000 students, possibly more. Mark my words, Bassett will be a force next year in the PD and Region IV. Bassett had an extremely young team this year that played great but just didn't have enough guys to go around. With the addition of those guys from FC this team has the possibility to do some great things like back in the good ole days when Bassett was a power house. Of course Magna Vista was already going to be strong for next year without the addition of LP with their team being mostly juniors this year with some great senior leadership but what MV loses they will already have from either their sideline this year or LP starters. LP have a couple of pretty good linemen that could step in and fill the holes that are going to be missing after this year and they have some kids with good hands and speed. Yall better look out for those PD teams in Division 4 next year, they won't be a pushover.

That would take the move of an entire district and there would be more regional realignment other than just in Region 4. Some people on the virginia preps board seem to think it would be wise to move Carroll County to the Piedmont. Combine Southwest and Highlands. Move the River Ridge and Blue Ridge to Region IV. Move the Piedmont and Dogwood to Region III. That would take alot and I mean alot of AD's approving of the same plan to put that in motion. I don't think we will see anything for another couple of years until people from other regions complain more about Region IV.

It just seems to me that the glut of division III & IV teams in region III would warrant the shuffling of teams and or entire districts to properly realocate the volume of teams in each region. With the argument being put forth by Heritage-Lynchburg, Salem & Amherst, it seems that such a move may be warranted in the near future.

Guest MagicMan

Is it just me (an out of stater), or are VHS's district/region/A's more screwed up than, well, something.

Anybody mind enlightening me?

I personally think they need to reorganize the entire thing anyways into more than just 3 classes. That would spread things out more and allow for the numbers to be a little bit closer but in order to do that you would have even more travel time for some schools but less for others like the teams out in the highlands and southwest. I can't offer an exact solution but something needs to be done. I think realigning region 3 and 4 would be a good start, add the southside and piedmont to region 3 and river and blue ridge to region 4 and combine highlands and southwest with Carroll County in the Piedmont and that would be a pretty good plan if you ask me. Just my opinion.

I think we need to establish the purpose here. Is the abjective to yield the largest amount of high quality football (which I think it is), or to anchor ourselves around geographic location.

You have to remember that the VHSL is concerned with all scholastic sports, not just football. So when they create districts and regions, it's for every sport. So, it's not as simple as moving the River Ridge and Blue Ridge over to Region IV to even out the regions.

And from what some posters say on VirginiaPreps, there is no way that the Blue Ridge would ever come over to Region IV (based on the Roanoke schools). Even if they did, I'm sure that Botetourt and Alleghany would try to find other options.

I posted on the VirginiaPreps board that moving just the River Ridge to Region IV (as many suggested) wouldn't happen because there are two Roanoke County schools in the River Ridge and two in the Blue Ridge. You would have to move both districts, or neither.

I don't see why Alleghany and Botetourt (or Roanoke Co.)would have a problem switching Regions. If your in the same District, it won't have any effect until you get to the playoffs.

Here's my suggestion for Regions III and IV:

Region IV

Highlands/Southwest (merged or not)

River Ridge (moved from Region III)

Blue Ridge (moved from Region III)

Region III

Seminole

Dogwood

Piedmont (moved from Region IV)

Jefferson (moved from Region II)

I definitely agree with what you have there, Cougar Fan. The region alignments, as they are now, are bad simply because the numbers (in Region II especially are astronomical).

It's funny to read the posts on VirginiaPreps (by Region II and Region I posters) sometimes complaining about how easy it is for Region IV teams to make the playoffs. It seems to me that instead of coming up with alternatives, like yours, they'd rather complain and degrade the level of football in SWVA.