Bluefield marches on, dumps Westside 35-8...

Bluefield_Rules

The entrance to Mitchell Stadium has read since August, “The road to Wheeling starts here.†Tonight the road to Wheeling ended for Westside and the clock struck midnight on Cinderella. The Beavers took care of its business as we in Bluefield expected them to do and the letdown, which lots were hoping for in western Wyoming County, didn’t come to fruition. The weather was horrible, but great football weather. The snow pounded the stadium, as did the wind, tonight dumping about 2 inches to this point. You couldn’t see anything, in terms of the lines, on the field and at points the wind whipped snow so that you couldn’t see the visitor side of the field.

Bluefield had three players rush for over 100 yards with Jose Steele getting 108 and three TDs, Chris Martin getting 102, and David Perdue added 133 yards and two TDs. The Beaver racked up over 350 yards rushing on the night. The most impressive thing tonight was that, despite the horrible field conditions, Bluefield didn’t have a single dropped ball. On the other hand Westside had six or seven fumbles, but did manage to only lose two of those fumbles. The Beaver defense did what it has done all season, shutting down the opponents. Westside broke a long run in the second quarter after two Bluefield players slipped down allowing him to sprint free to score.

Westside had a nice season and advanced further than anyone expected them to. My hats off to Westside for a hard fought game, but in the end Bluefield was just too talented and simply the better team. I’m sure Westside will be looking for blood on the hardwood. I hope the Westside team and fans will have a safe trip home tonight, the roads are horrible in Bluefield. As for the Beavers, it’s off to Wheeling again and this time the Beavers are going to take care of business and bring back the AA state title to Mercer County.

I don't know about the Wheeling feeling. I witnessed my first real game at Mitchell last week (Grundy and Graham) and was impressed with the changes. The last time I was there was the '94 Grid-o-rama and a lot of upgrading and facelifts has been made since then obviously. The field was in great shape also. It seemed to me that it has restroom and seating capacity needed for a state final game(s). The only problem I could forsee would be maybe parking. Why not get the Final 6 in Bluefield?

yep...the parking situation at Mitchell is great compared to the rest of the area. Sometimes the cops screw up the flow on the way out, but they do the best they can i guess...Grundy hires rent a cops that screw up everything. For one thing they should all of the school buses moved on Friday to behind the school or something and use that area to park people in rows....ah no use in bitchin about it I guess. mad.gif

other than a college team i do not think that there is another field anywhere that has the parking that mitchell stadium has and the ease of getting to the stadium and back to your car is the best. and i agree no state title game would have as many fans as the graham/beaver game brings.but still would love to see a title game here again like in 89 for graham and i think that wv should let mitchell stadium host the playoffs soon this area has a lot to offer in places to eat shop and sleep for a title game. so maybe the powers that be in wv will soon see this and bring the title game to bluefield

It's that same old, tired, North vs South crapola. Wheeling is just as remote from most of the state as is Bluefield, so that argument doesn't hold up. It is a simple matter of the WVSSAC has strong support in the Northern part of the state and Wheeling has a lock on the "Super Six" state finals.

Thats right break it off,just think it is not just Mercer co. who suffers,Mcdowell,Wyoming,and other counties have a longer trip than we do.It would be nice if they could rotate it from year to year between Bluefield,Charleston and Wheeling,just my opinion..