John Adams resigns from Virginia High

VHSFan999

Coach John Adams has resigned as head football coach of Virginia High. Adams spent 4 years at Virginia with only 1 winning season in which he took VHS to a district title and the playoffs. This past year was a disappointment as VHS finished 3-7 despite having loads of taletnt. However they played everyone tough and were never really out of any games. The search is now on for a new head coach. I hope assistant coach Scott Jones gets the job. He called the plays on offense the first 2 games but then wasnt able to coach till the end of the season due to illness. Jones seemed to call a variety of plays while Adams was prone to just running it up the middle.

The talent level is goina be better than last year. On offense they will be returning the starting QB,HB, and top WR. Also most of the line except for 1 will be returning. HB Tyrone Mitchell was great last year and so was QB Kevin Morrison, and WR Jeremey Phillips. However on defense they are goina be about the same as last year, which was awful. This team needs a coach that can motivate these guys. They have a lot of talented people but no work ethic. Many of the guys are not staying after and lifting or doing other work outs.

It depends on how many of these kids go out. Alot of the kids have stated that they are not going to play because of the new drug policy that has been passed by the school board to test athletes at VHS. I foresee alot of kids transferring to Battle and other schools just to be able to play sports. Along with the new drug policy and 2.0 GPA alot of kids will leave and play elsewhere.

Well I read in the paper that they may not be able to put in this new drug policy because of finicial reasons. The school board may not have enough money to pay for this. The stupid school board estimated that it would cost a little over 100,000 dollars but it will probably actually end up costing 300,000 or more.

I dont think that this drug policy is fair. No other high schools are doing this so I dont see why Virginia High is. I mean I dont think any of the Virginia High athletes or any athletes in SWVA, are doing steriods and its really none of their business if the students are doing illegal drugs off school campus. Thats a matter for the parents or the police to handle

• 2 weeks later...

i think it is the responsibility of the school system to monitor for illegal drug use either in school or out of school because if they use it out of school it can affect in school also, many drugs can cause mental problems like paranoia which can cause trouble in school if a kid thinks that others are trying to get at him in school he or she could hurt others. and as a parent i watch my kids as close as possible but cannot watch them at school so it is up to the school to help in this problem of illegal drugs in our society including steriods which can cause liver and kidney failure in people. we do not want our kids to be affected like this. i applaud any school system that is active in trying to stem the use of illegal drugs by our kids and the people that want them to continue to use them so that they can make money off the kids. so anyone that is against a policy like this must be for drug use by kids.

• 2 weeks later...

it may come as a surprise to some, but coach carlock is very high on the list. (which he desrves) coach colobro called about the job, but did not put application in. mike locke, former player and coach there has applied. a couple of asst. at va. high have applied. not positve if he has put in an application but coach hubbard from honaker has inquired about job. the interviews were to begin today, but have been put off, because the personel director had some type of doctors appointment.

From what I have heard Adams is planning on moving out West some where with his wife.

I would love to see Carlock come to VHS. He has been a great coach in SWVA for many years and would definately turn the VHS program around.