Who are the best All Pupose Backs this fall?

GMen

From everything I have read and seen Robert Henry from Graham and my brother Garon Marcum from Grundy will be two of the best backs in AA this year. Both are only juniors this upcoming season I do believe and both have experience. Gonna be a great year for football in the SWD.

3 come to mind:

Andrew Robertson-James Monroe-proven RB, and possibly the main passer out of JM's single wing offense, hope the knee stays healed up. Two year ago coach Witt said he was the best back in school history. He's unquestionably one of the fastest and hardest to get ahold of.

David Purdue-Bluefield-similar to Chhris Martin in the running game, but a more skilled WR, if I were trying to shut down Bluefield, I'd have him accounted for every play

Ricky Cook-Giles-led them in rushing last year as a sophomore, and was a good receiver too. I'd say Narrows will really want him back next fall, I know they did last year.

[ QUOTE ]

Billy Napper great all around player on both sides of the ball

has great speed and will be one of the best this fall for the G-Men!

[/ QUOTE ]

Another Bluefield Beaver that switched sides after his freshman season (lol). Although, I cannot blame him b/c there is a massive log-jam in the backfield at Beaver...

• 2 weeks later...

So wasnt good enough to play for the beavers but can step in and take up the slack of bradshaw for Graham. Yeah right. If he were that good he would have started for the beavers.

hey jimmy he is that good he just wanted to come to graham because of the quality of the school system in tazewell county. people had better watch out for him and the rest of grahams backfield they should be just as good if not better this year because teams will not have just one back to look for coming out of the backfield in graham. also he just might have liked the program at graham better. what can you say about grahams qb situation over the past several years with the matthews brothers, guess you feel that they were not good enough to play for beaver also. they came from the west va side and have a brother that plays basketball for the beavers. i think they could start for any highschool program. so just because kids come to graham from the west va side does not mean that they are not good players or that they could not play for the beavers.

Well I dont know the kid personally. ANy kid in the area I hope does well and succeeds in every phase of life. I am just being honest about what students feel when other kids transfer schools from one program. I know in our area that sometimes kids will leave teams like Hurley and come to Grundy to play football. They leave a lesser team for a chance to play on a good team. Napper left a state champion team to come to a team in which bradshaw was the running back so it didnt make sense to me. Seem like if he is as good as you said he would have started as a beaver as great players seem to find their way into the starting lineup.

Did he come in and run the ball against us after Graham had us beat and put in the subtitutes in the region title game? If so you better stick with Henry he is the better back.

like you said some kids leave a lesser program to go to a better program and at graham it has been a very good program and napper knew that bradshaw was there and still wanted to come to graham. a lot of it has to do with the school itself not just football. all i can say is for people to watch for graham to have a good offense this year with more backs to run from different sets.kids transfer to schools for other reasons not just sports. i always try not to knock a kid just because he transfered to another school and to say that he is not good enough to start for beaver who knows he just might have been able to we will never know for he is now a gman and if he gains a little more size the really watch out for him.

Billy's older brother Tony had a falling out with the Beaver coaching staff during the summer between his junior and senior season, which was 2002. The older Napper tried transfering to Graham for his senior season, the 2002 season, but Virginia transfer rules wouldn't have allowed him to play. Napper remained at Beaver and ended up playing basketball, but didn't play football his senior season. I would imagine Billy Napper left Bluefield for Graham b/c of the rift his brother and the coaching staff had. Quite a few kids have left Bluefield for Graham (or Princeton) around the time they began 9th grade b/c of Freddie Simon. I'm not looking to get into that whole mess, just stating what's fact...

Actually your facts are wrong. Tony wanted to play for Bluefield, but he was ruled inelgible because of grades. He did summer school but couldn't make the grades that he needed to. He tried to go to Graham after that but they wouldn't take him.

When these kids transfer to Graham it's definately not because they're not good enough to play at Bluefield. Graham has had a few players come down because some of those players want to play with their family members and maybe because of other family issues. Greg Ridley and Billy Banks started at Beaver the year before they went to Graham. Brandon Banks went to Graham in middle school as did Paco, H.T. and Kevin. There have been a few more that have went to Graham, buthave you ever thought about their parents wanting them to get the disipline from Coach Carlock, R. Marrs, D. Marrs, Jones, Williams, O'neal etc... that they definately would not have gotten at Bluefield. you all should think about other situations besides just playing time.

It's not just for sports. I know there have been kids living in WV who attended Graham and never played sports. Matter of choice where they wanted to get their education in many instances.

• 2 weeks later...

Cain Ringstaff is among the elite in the swd,I saw him come in as freshman when i was senior. Hes got the speed, just needs to bulk up.He MIGHT go over 1,000yds again if we can get an offensive line that actually knows how to open up holes.

I agree, Ringstaff is a horse. I was very impressed with him last season. The O-line should be good with a year of experience under their belts. They got better with each game last year and were pretty darn good be the end of the season.

A couple of names to throw out from Hurley's side.

Shane Justice - this kid is going to be a force with the bulk of the carries coming his way this year. He started out 3rd on the depth chart last year (but still started as Hurley used the Wing T), and played his way into the premier role. I've spoke of his speed before, but his biggest asset is how hard he runs. I suspect he'll have a great year.

Josh Childress - Where this kid will end up is to be seen. He can play QB, HB, FB, WR, the Wing, TE, he is that good of an athlete. He hits the hole hard and has excellent hands. He would probably be a bigger threat at WR, but circumstance may put him in a number of places. Regardless, watchout for him as he will be a signifcant producer wherever he plays.

-Josh

[ QUOTE ]

but they lost 2 senoirs on the line

[/ QUOTE ]

True but didn't they lose the entire line going into last season? I could be wrong but I think that was the case. I think they will be fine because of the way they continued to improve as the season wore on. The linemen are well coached.

BTW, What do you know of the QB candidates? Brown can't be replaced, but with a QB who plays smart and doesn't make too many mistakes the offense should be in good shape. In fact I think this will be the best Richlands team since I moved back here (from Richmond) in 1998.

Nice! If he can make good throws, with both starting recievers coming back, and the unsung hero from last year Jeremy Keene at TE, the offense could be very good. I just hope they don't mess with the scheme again.