VHSL Redistricting for AA in 2005-06...

GMan

you do not get much more rural than graham with a town that has a population of not more than 6,000 people but yet year in and year out graham finds schools to play that are from the cities that you say carroll county would not be a good thing for them. look over the years of ghs football teams like greenville tenn elizabethon pardon the spelling gwdanville and others and we have held our own with them. i do not see carroll county trying to play that kind of team. and years ago graham did play gate city in the old swd and had good seasons also so to say that they would not get out of the regionals in 1a get real. even as small as ghs and grundy are they are to be commended for staying at the level of play that they do. that is why they win year in and year out. i know that a team like carroll county would love it if graham and grundy and tazewell would go to 1a then they would not have to play these teams again.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i do not know much about the lpd but i would say that vhs is like some of the schools now days looking to play a schedule or in a district where they can win most of the time and not have to play tough teams. that is just my opinion and it is not worth much.

[ QUOTE ]

Did anyone see lastnight where Virginia High said they wouldn't play in the LPD? They said they wanted to play in the Hogo,this situation is one big mess if you ask me.

[/ QUOTE ]

When I first heard about it I believed it was going to a scandal or something somehow.

Can't get much more rural than Graham? I will assume that is not what you meant to say. A town of 6000 is rural? Lee High, location: Ben Hur. Try and find Ben Hur on the map; population: 35. I have a queston for everyone. What percentage of Graham's students live within a five mile radius of the school? What percentage of Carroll Countie's do? I know, thats two questions. As for Virginia High, they don't want to play in the LPD because of travel. Their travel situation would be worse than Lee's. Why is it that every time a school tries to look out for the best interest of their students, someone accuses them of just wanting to play a weaker schedule? Virginia High doesn't try and dodge tough teams, anymore than Lee High does. As a matter of fact, Virginia High would win more district championships in the Highlands than they would in the LPD. In football its because of Powell Valley and Gate City, and in other sports its because of having to beat out eight other teams instead of just three.

What else are we supposed to do? Can't go to the Southwest, travel time is bad enough already. Yesterday the tennis team played a double header in Marion, they got back so late that they were excused from the first two periods of the day. We have done that for a lot of sports throughout the years. I can just imagine going to Grundy, Carroll County, and possibly Grayson County. We are already having trouble with academics because of this. I myself wouldn't like to see Lee drop down we have way too large an enrollement to anyway. This needs to be looked at by the VHSL. If the VHSL would get off their butts and quit worrying about their buddies in the north they could fix a lot of problems down this way. There are plenty of ways, like many on here have suggested, to fix this problem without Lee having to drop down.

I don't blame VA High for not wanting in the LPD! Their farthest district school would be Clintwood, a little over 2 hours away on a bus! As opposed to about an hour 20 minutes to GW. Additionally, how would Lee justify playing in Region D when/if the state goes to four classes? Right now the cut offs for Class A are like 670 or something in that neighborhood, what happens then when the cut off goes down around 450 or somewhere around there? Why don't you just petition Kentucky to play in their state or something?

Lee High has not tried "year in and year out" as you say, to drop to single A. Lee played AA for fourteen years, and didn't mention dropping until the rediculous proposal to FORCE Lee High into the Southwest District. Now, there is a new school board that seems to be intent on getting sol scores up (as well they should be), and the current move to single comes from the board. I myself hopes Lee remains AA by the way, even with the travel. People who accuse Lee of just wanting to play single A to win more games havn't really thought about it much. Lee would win many more district championships and go the the regionals much more often as a member of the Highlands District than they would as a member of the lpd. That is because in football, they would have to compete with Powell Valley, Gate City, and others, and in the other sports they would have to beat out eight other teams instead of just three (or two if Va. High drops). Anyway, my guess is that Va. High will not go into the LPD. If they can't get into the HOGO, they'll play up and stay in the Highlands.

I'll clarify my remarks, and apologize for the confusion. I thought everyone knew that last year there was a movement to combine the Southwest and Highlands Districts. The proposal was voted on, and passed, but was voided by some technicality. (someone got the cart before the horse). The last I heard, it will be brought up again, but then I heard a rumor that the proposal is not going to be brought up again. Anyway, if it ever does happen, it will be a financial, academic, and athletic disaster for Lee, and Lee will have no choice but to get their numbers down to single A.

first of all lee would not have to travel to all the schools that are a long distance ( carroll, grundy ) in the same football year. they would have one at home. in the other sports they do play all district games on friday and saturday. no school missed. it is interesting that the track team (indoor) would travel to blacksburg during the middle of the week to run track. do they have a short cut to get to va tech? i think if lee is in the swd, the principals would finally step up to the plate and move carroll to the piedmont. with or without lee, the swd will survive one way or another. they have to remember that it is the same distance for the other teams traveling to lee.

just a guess but i would say about 1/2 live within that radius, but also remember tazewell county has 4 highschools also. and i was not knocking where lee is i have been there many times granted the population is scattered out but still i think lee has as many kids as ghs and i think there are several prisions in that area for employment which helps with students also. tell me this why would lee high drive to bluefield wv to play the beavers but not drive to bluefield va to play graham high. about 3 miles or so between the two schools and both use the same stadium. makes me wonder about their reasoning for not wanting to play graham.