All-time top HS football programs

atallexan

I have compiled a national list of the top programs nationwide. Criteria is 300 min games played, and a winning% of .650 or better. So far have identified 308 schools:

http://www.texashsfootball.com/board/index.php?showtopic=4017

Seeking more input for this region. Someone suggested Bluefield High to me. Had mentioned over 500 wins, but I cannot find any other source of information. Anyone have access to it on them, or on any other programs not listed?

[ QUOTE ]

I have compiled a national list of the top programs nationwide. Criteria is 300 min games played, and a winning% of .650 or better. So far have identified 308 schools:

Couldn't catch up with anyone at the school by phone or email. Anyone have any local connections ?

Seeking more input for this region. Someone suggested Bluefield High to me. Had mentioned over 500 wins, but I cannot find any other source of information. Anyone have access to it on them, or on any other programs not listed?

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe the poster "buzzsawbeaver" could help you in regards to Bluefield. He has a lot of knowledge of the history of Bluefield football. He also has some connections, so maybe he could get info. He doesn't post a lot during the off-season, but I believe he lurks from time to time. Maybe he'll see this and respond.

BTW: School is out for the summer now in Mercer County I believe, so you might not reach anyone at the school until later in the summer.

Heck, maybe even the GMan could use his many connections to find out. Although, he might short the Beavers since he is a G-Man...lol ;-)

Actually bluefield football history I know well, but I'm not really a stats knowledgable person. I would email persinger BR. He could at least tell you the figure they would say on their radio broadcasts.

That said, here's 1 of the things about bluefield football and their overall record, I'm not certain that technically their record would go back past the '60s.

As yall know, it was Beaver high before, and when they built and opened Bluefield high, technically it became a different high school, although really it was a common high school. So myself, I'm not certain how the records go.

When you consider though that non technically bluefield had their 100th season in '03, considering how many 7 - 3 average regular seasons they've had, some better as well also, I'd have a hard time believing they don't have a "lot" of W's on their record. But I myself would be interested in knowing the facts statistically.....

I've tried to email Persinger, but I don't have his email address and cannot find it online anywhere. He posted some on my basketball board back during basketball season, but I've not seen him on there since the season ended. I know for a fact that Bluefield's win total is over 500, but I don't know the exact number.

• 2 weeks later...

National list is up to 351 schools:

As I see a mix of VA and WVA schools on this board, here are the schools from each on the current list:

49. Gate City,VA---------.7624 409-125-7

83. Hampton,VA-----------.7367 671-226-43

108. Parkersburg,WV------.7222 705-261-33

121. Powell Valley,Va----.7159 349-134-15

138. Brooke, WV----------.7070 278-114-4

150. Salem, Va-----------.7015 219-92-4

197. Appalachia,Va-------.6887 541-235-35

210. Pulaski Cty, Va-----.6829 230-106-3

334. New Kent, Va--------.6529 335-176-9

337. Highland Springs,Va-.6523 414-213-33

Who else from the region would meet the 300 min games and .650 winning% criteria ?

Where do you get your information from? Is there a source you have where you can check on ANY school's record, or do you rely on info from fans or what? Check on Honaker's record, if you can, I would imagine we have won quite a few games. The program has been in existence since 1926, I think. Honaker is a pretty average team most years, but they usually win most of their regular season games.

Yeah, that site was ran by one of the coaches, but he moved to another school and no one else has really taken it on themselves to keep it up to date. But anything you could find would be much appreciated!

• 2 weeks later...

Might wanna ask around on the Cumberland District message board and the LPD board about Pennington and Jonesville. Can schools that no longer exist be included on the list? They closed in '89 or '90 and both schools had a very long and successfull football tradition. They could be worth looking at.

[ QUOTE ]

Might wanna ask around on the Cumberland District message board and the LPD board about Pennington and Jonesville. Can schools that no longer exist be included on the list? They closed in '89 or '90 and both schools had a very long and successfull football tradition. They could be worth looking at.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, closed schools are on the board. Do you have the links to those other 2 boards you refer to ?

Try going to www.leecountyvirginia.com, there is a tribute page to Pennington and Jonesville. Pennignton is the only one with the football records, i think. Pennington's link is http://members.tripod.com/~penningtongap/fbstats.html there are records from 1935-1988, some years are missing though. I believe Don Williams provided most of the stats, so you might want to contact him about their record. As for Jonesville's record, i dont have a clue as to what it is. Don Williams may know but i doubt it. Try posting something on the leecounty message board, somebody may know something on there, not sure though. http://s2.excoboard.com/exco/forum.php?forumid=4297&PHPSESSID=42def2288eac93568ef57cced6ff25f3 is the link to it.

[ QUOTE ]

Try going to www.leecountyvirginia.com, there is a tribute page to Pennington and Jonesville. Pennignton is the only one with the football records, i think. Pennington's link is http://members.tripod.com/~penningtongap/fbstats.html there are records from 1935-1988, some years are missing though. I believe Don Williams provided most of the stats, so you might want to contact him about their record. As for Jonesville's record, i dont have a clue as to what it is. Don Williams may know but i doubt it. Try posting something on the leecounty message board, somebody may know something on there, not sure though. http://s2.excoboard.com/exco/forum.php?forumid=4297&PHPSESSID=42def2288eac93568ef57cced6ff25f3 is the link to it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the links. We'll see what we can find out. wink.gif

You might have posted this already, but what is Woodrow Wilson or also known as Beckley High Schools all time record. They haven't been as good in the last 20 years, but before that they were in the upper group in winning percentage.

[ QUOTE ]

You might have posted this already, but what is Woodrow Wilson or also known as Beckley High Schools all time record. They haven't been as good in the last 20 years, but before that they were in the upper group in winning percentage.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually they are a work in progress. Found that they opened in 1917. First year of football was 1927, under Coach Roy Terry. Then Douglas Bower in 1928. Under Coach Jerome Van Meter they were 222-93-13 from 1929-58. Then, under Joel Hicks, from 1967-78, they were 91-28-1. I see that John Lilly took over in 2000. Their record will work out to make the lists, if we can fill the gaps of the first 2 years (1927 and 28), 1959-66 and 1979-present.