some daily misc. photos of mine

buzzsawBeaver

Yeah, The D50 was an entry level DSLR better suited to birthday parties than sports and there was no way it was going to hold up to the use I was giving it. I could have upgraded to another Nikon but I switched to Canon because of their reputation for fast auto-focus. I was never happy with my pictures from football season and decided the main change would be to stop using flash. That meant fast prime lenses with a razor thin depth of field... so the auto-focus needs to be fast and good. Canon has lived up to that so far.

Depending on what you want, The New York Institute of Photography is affordable and does a very good job of teaching the basics. The material seems a little outdated though because most of it was written in the 70's and 80's but it all still applies to modern photography. I would like to take a class at SVCC to supplement it and I plan to read every book written by Ansel Adams.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Do you live on dial rock road, or in thompson valley?

Bigd, didn't know you bought a 20d. I have used my d70 to the point it has to go to the shop before I can expect any real quality photos, I've almost abused that with my hiking and rough handling of it in our jeep, ect., it still functions though but I've certainly been rough on it. My goal is to use some of the $s from deployment God willing all goes well, and go to photography school and actually learn what I'm doing, then invest in landscape lenses and do a lot of photography. I have 2 projects in mind for some income.

[/ QUOTE ]

Neither, just go to Main Street in Tazewell and find the road that goes up, and take it all the way until you can't go up anymore.

Best way I can explain it.

haha

[/ QUOTE ]

You got that right! Turn left and go up! Thought I was going to need oxygen trying to find it back in October! LOL

BTW...where do your grandparents live in Florida??? Lots of bad storms overnight down that way...

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Bigd, didn't know you bought a 20d. I have used my d70 to the point it has to go to the shop before I can expect any real quality photos, I've almost abused that with my hiking and rough handling of it in our jeep, ect., it still functions though but I've certainly been rough on it. My goal is to use some of the $s from deployment God willing all goes well, and go to photography school and actually learn what I'm doing, then invest in landscape lenses and do a lot of photography. I have 2 projects in mind for some income.

[/ QUOTE ]

Neither, just go to Main Street in Tazewell and find the road that goes up, and take it all the way until you can't go up anymore.

haha

[/ QUOTE ]

You got that right! Turn left and go up! Thought I was going to need oxygen trying to find it back in October! LOL

BTW...where do your grandparents live in Florida??? Lots of bad storms overnight down that way...

[/ QUOTE ]

They live in Lake Wales, about 75 miles south of the storms

CLICK FOR MAP

Guest JJBrickface

Whats the name of the mountain or two that you go over when you go to Hungry Mother's Park? I know they are very scenic and thats even in the summer time.

The photo of chestnut ridge and rattlesnake ridge that I posted shows 1 of those 1st or 2nd mountains you're mentioning, at least an eastern ridge of it. Rattlesnake ridge is a ridge that runs east off of that mountaintop. It depends where you're starting from to go to hungry mother as to which mountaisn they are. You might be talking about clinch mountain on the southern side of thompson valley since that's 1 of the most scenic views along that route.

The photo I posted that shows the country road is the big turn on that road going over that mountain, that's clinch mountain if I'm correct. I believe I am but there's so many sometimes I am off a mountain or 2.

Then after thompson valley you go through that gap in clinch mountain there and drop quite a ways into poor valley, which is a lower valley, before climbing right back out of it over brushy mountain, that's also very scenic climb. I have some photos of poor valley and looking back over at the southern side of clinch mountain u pthat climb.

After that is levels out for a short ways through some nice countryside and you can turn left right in there and go east up to ceres, and maybe 15 miles further you come out at bland where that kangaroo mart off i77 is. Or if you turn right you can go down west to saltville that way.

After that, I'm not really certain because it's been so long since I've gone to hungry mother.

Guest JJBrickface

[ QUOTE ]

this is a close up of rattlesnake ridge off of brushy mnt.

rattlesnakeridge.jpg

this is brushy mountain, the 2nd mountain on the way to hungry mother, and poor valley

brushymnt.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

yup thats it. Amazing

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

haha

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They live in Lake Wales, about 75 miles south of the storms

<A HREF="http://www.mapquest.com/directions/main.adp?go=1&do=nw&rmm=1&un=m&cl=EN&qq=hltF3hzNT9tNhURP0HLlhh9UYBmHRqyBceg4Gkon14D8uewLk7pjHQ%253d%253d&ct=NA&rsres=1&1y=US&1ffi=&1l=&1g=&1pl=&1v=&1n=&1pn=&1a=4970+Lake+Pierce+Drive&1c=Lake+Wales&1s=fl&1z=33898-8883&2y=US&2ffi=&2l=&2g=&2pl=&2v=&2n=&2pn=&2a=&2c=Lady+Lake&2s=Fl&2z=&r=f">CLICK FOR MAP</A>

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I thought but couldn't remember for sure.

appreciate the comments, I did do the landscape photos but I credit a good camera and a beautiful subject. With digital and being able to do 200 some photos in an outing, you're gonna have some good photos out of all those.

Bluefieldrocks those commercials are really good, most commercials annoy me, but those are classic. I like that "we hired a celebrity, little richard" commercial to.