The "big game" is in 5 days, lets start the smack

BeaverFan

Well I have a great deal of respect for both schools, and this is one of the finest high school football rivalries in the nation. Both schools are well coached and both squads will be ready to play come Friday night.

As for the winner....my guess is Bluefield will score early and often...they have a lot of threats offensively. Coeburn has a great arm and a bevy of talented targets to choose from. If the OL gives him time....look out G-men he will hurt you. A lot of this game is emotion and the Bluefield seniors have showed their class many times. Look at the last two efforts at Mitchell Stadium (Weir and PC) both games going down to the final seconds with David Purdue clutching a Coeburn pass in the South endzone to seal the deal. I don't think it will come down to that this Friday however. My prediction:

Bluefield 42 Gmen 12

i agree with him . bluefield will dominate on both sides of the ball and if our OL will give cobourne time to throw this 1's in the books. GO BEAVERS!......but i think the finial score is bluefield - 49 graham-21

[ QUOTE ]

Bluefield 42 Gmen 12

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, one can only hope. Unfortunately, I believe anyone expecting a rout either way is going to be in for a disappointment. I believe Bluefield will win, but it'll be four quarter battle decided in the final six minutes or so.

Henry was the #2 back behind Bradshaw last year and put up some very good numbers. He's a talented player with speed and quickness. Napper is a former Beaver, played at Bluefield his freshman year, but left for Graham. Napper is a nice player, but he would still be playing behind the Steptoes and Perdue if he had remained at Bluefield.

thanks for the info , but what i saw from the graham scrimmage last nite napper was scared to be hit. I saw him got knocked hard 1 time and he tried to juke out everybody else to keep from getting hit....could i be wrong?

Here’s what brothers me the most about the game Friday night. Bluefield will have a big advantage in the passing game, but I don't have faith in the coaching staff to exploit that strength (Graham's weakness). I'm sorry if I offend anyone, that isn't my intention at all. I've been watching Bluefield football for a while now and I've seen hundreds of games. I’ve seen games where Bluefield has had some advantage over their opponent, but the coaching staff either didn’t see it or just ignored it b/c they wanted to stick to the game plan. Graham might be at a disadvantage on the field, but great coaching adjustments can over come disadvantages. That is why I don’t see Bluefield running away from Graham Friday night. Carlock learned first hand from one of the best coaches this area has ever seen and it shows up in his teams each week.

I don't believe some Graham fans realize what an outstanding coach they've got. They don't realize a lot of their success, while b/c of their players, is more so because of Carlock. Players are individuals and individuals don't win football games. Teams win football games and it takes a coach to mold them into a team. Carlock changing his ways on offense back in 2001 to accomdate the talent he had, in my mind, showed me the man is a great football mind. Great coaches can change with the times to fit his personel and personality of that personel.

I agree, not anything personal against the coaches as we certainly don't coach, and they work hard, but for 1 thing bluefield's o coordinator's is different and the potential there is unknown at this point.

Also there is some natural reluctance to do something that isn't common with a team, and bluefield isn't known as a passing team, exactly the reason I wrote bluefield has to be patient and accept some 3 and outs, or be willing to pass and pass even if they are playing from behind.

Let me add further and some upon Buzzsaw's last post by saying I too know the coaches put a lot of hard work and effort into doing what they do. I have respect for any coach of any sport b/c they're under a lot of pressure from all sides, especially in a football crazy town like Bluefield is. Bluefield is fortunate to have a solid coaching staff like we have. Any Bluefieldian that doesn't think so needs to take a look to Welch and Mount View. They probably have the most God-given talent and ability year in and year out of any school in WV, in any classification. However, they've lacked the coaching staff to put it all together and make it work.

[ QUOTE ]

Well I have a great deal of respect for both schools, and this is one of the finest high school football rivalries in the nation. Both schools are well coached and both squads will be ready to play come Friday night.

As for the winner....my guess is Bluefield will score early and often...they have a lot of threats offensively. Coeburn has a great arm and a bevy of talented targets to choose from. If the OL gives him time....look out G-men he will hurt you. A lot of this game is emotion and the Bluefield seniors have showed their class many times. Look at the last two efforts at Mitchell Stadium (Weir and PC) both games going down to the final seconds with David Purdue clutching a Coeburn pass in the South endzone to seal the deal. I don't think it will come down to that this Friday however. My prediction:

Bluefield 42 Gmen 12

[/ QUOTE ]

Darn...I missed it by a touch for both teams....did not count on Freddy calling off the dogs so soon after what Glynn did in 2001.....oh well guess he has more class in addition to being a better coach.