Tazewell/Carroll Co.

dawgs86

Here is an article from the Galax Gazette http://www.galaxgazette.com/articles/2004/08/26/news/sports/sports01.txt Cavalier youth gets big test Friday with Bulldogs

By CRAIG WORRELL Sports Editor

HILLSVILLE -- For a team in need of some on the job training, that job begins Friday night.

Defending Region IV Division 4 runner-up Carroll County opens its 2004 season - and its Southwest District schedule - on the road as the Cavaliers travel to Tazewell to face a new-look Bulldog team.

Tazewell is in its first year under head coach Bobby Wyatt, who made the move over the mountain after spending the last 15 years in Pocahontas. Wyatt's job is to lead the Bulldogs from the ashes of a 1-9 season last year and back to the high times of the old days, which included a state championship in 1986.

It is still early, but so far things seem to be progressing nicely in Tazewell.

"I'm not saying this to be harsh to the former coach, but in the past they have done a lot of foolish things to hurt themselves, like personal fouls and things like that," Carroll County coach Tom Hale said.

The Bulldogs are centered on both side of the ball around linebacker-runningbacks Mark Muncey and Matt Cleaver.

"They are as good a pair of linebackers as we'll see," Hale said. "We're going to have to block them if we're going to have a chance offensively."

Cleaver, a 225-pound fullback, and Muncey, a 215-pound halfback, lead a deep pool of runningbacks, which includes speedy J.R. Wilson. Cleaver scored on a 63-yard run and Wilson added a 5-yarder in Friday's jamboree at Chilhowie, in which the Bulldogs outscored Patrick Henry-Glade Spring 15-0 and Chilhowie 14-0.

"They've got a lot of good backs, and they utilize them well," Hale said. "If one goes down you'd think the next one wouldn't be as good, but that's not the case."

Although mainly a power-oriented team, Tazewell also showed the ability to throw the football, as quarterback Zack Tester had completions of 48 and 39 yards Friday to wideout Steve Mitchem.

But Hale seemed more impressed by the Tazewell defense.

"They have a good nucleus coming back to build around," he said. "They dominated defensively at their last scrimmage."

The Cavaliers will get their feet wet early as far as district competition goes. Opening with a league contest isn't something that tickles Hale to death.

"We're really trying to drive it into our kids' heads," he said. "This is the biggest game of the year. Each week is a big game, but opening with a district game, a win puts you in the driver's seat.

"I'd rather not open with a district game," he continued. "No matter how good you may have looked in your scrimmages, you're still going to have those opening-game jitters, and you'll have a better idea of things you need to work on, and you'd rather not open with a district game to get your machine greased up."

Tazewell has the double-whammy of opening the season with back-to-back district games, facing arch-rival Richlands next week.

Meanwhile, the Cavaliers, with the least experience of the five SWD teams, don't play another district game until late October, when they finish with three straight league contests.

I agree. But Tazewell has high hopes of winning again and I've seen cases were a good, smart, talented coach can win with nothing, and I've also seen the same coach with some of the best talent in the district do nothing!

Don't get me wrong I'm not knocking on the man. I know he's a good coach I've seen him coach for years he was coaching there when I was in high school, he's had some good years and I'm just saying I hope he can take that to Tazewell.

Guest old_school

Tazewell is built around their defense this year. They will probably be better than most people expect. The defense makes use of all the speed that is on the team and their two linebackers are really good. CC will have to be ready to stop the run because the O line is not small this year and the backs have enough speed to break a run.

I look for Tazewell to win this game, Wyatt is an excellent coach and knows how to make the most out of what he has to work with. He's old school from the Grundy program, and will put a smart defense on the field. This guy has been coaching for what, 20 years now? I think he'll shock a lot of people as to how fast he turns that program around unless the Taz Co political stuff starts getting in his way.

FOr some reason I like Tazwell in this one. Dont know why besides the fact that CC lost a lot of people and tazwell plays better in the beginning of the season than they do at the end.

Guest old_school

Tazewell should win this game. Bobby W and his coaching staff have done a really good job with this team by what I have seen. Coach W is really stressing a team aspect and it is showing. Zach Tester can really air the ball, if he gets the protection and their running game is really coming around.

BUMP on this thread

Someone on VApreps posted a final score of Tazewell 36, CC 35. Tazewell made a late rally to stage a 1 point upset. Good call, guys, and good start for the "Dawgs."