JV teams in the SWVA

zach

Does anyone go out to any jv games? I went to one last night, Lebanon vs. Patrick Henry. Lebanon won 37-0. Both quarterbacks threw a touchdown and two running backs scored. Alot of hard hits by people on the Lebanon team. Also Conley Yates caught two touchdowns. I think Lebanon has a good young core with Yates, Ryan Cox, Eric Fields, Richard Lockridge, and co. The only problem is their lack of depth on the offensive line except center.

is this zach miller posting that? i was just wondering lol well good luck jv teams. i think grundy's 8th grade team got beat last night 30-12. most of our players are 7th grade so next year we will be better. <font color="blue"> </font>

Grundy's JV / Little League system is screwed up... since they closed all of the schools and the population has dropped over there so much, things are not as they once were.

I wish there was something that could be done to restore the type of program they had at one point...

I think 5th - 7th grade little league would be best and then have a 8th - 9th or 10th JV team depending on the skill level and size of the kid involved.

As it is right now, Grundy's 8th grade team was a mess last year...which led to a lot of the now 9th graders not playing...a lot sit out until the 10th or 11th grade year and that hurts the program. Also, Grundy's wrestling program is a factor, a lot of kids won't play football because they can't take a risk on getting hurt for wrestling...i don't really agree with that, but that's what happens.

I dunno...just seems like it would be cool for the kids if the ages were grouped a little differently...I doubt there is much of a choice though as to how it can be set up.

I went to the Lebanon JV game last night and was impressed with the intensity level, I wish that would bleed over to the varsity team. The defensive line was really strong and the linebackers were agressive and the defensive backs stayed tight on the recievers. Both QB's looked good, I believe Miller might be a little quicker but can't take the pounding Lockridge can, that'll be a tough call for the varsity coach to make next year, Conley Yates made the catches look easy which one was a pretty tough catch, Skyler Musick and Freddie Hafley both looked good out of the backfield. Arms is quicker and stronger than I thought, things looked pretty good.

I was always of the opinion that while the athletes who wrestled and played football were in the best condition that those players were typically smaller in weight than they should be for football season. If those type of kids focused only on football, put on weight as they got older (instead of trying to stick to a weight class for wrestling purposes), a lot of those kids (most of which were good to great players) could have been even better on the field.

I think the JV / little league system is screwed up all over the county. Last year, Hurley had 6th graders on the JV team. When they found games to play, they were mostly against 8th and 9th graders.

[ QUOTE ]

I think the JV / little league system is screwed up all over the county. Last year, Hurley had 6th graders on the JV team. When they found games to play, they were mostly against 8th and 9th graders.

[/ QUOTE ]

yep...thats a good example of what I'm talking about.

I'd love to see the 5th - 7th graders have their own "league" like it was a long time ago...you had Garden, Grundy, Vansant, Hurley, Harman, JM Bevins... even Russell Prater, Whitewood, and Big Rock could have been in on the action. I think almost all of those are gone now to Twin Valley or Riverside or whatever they call that place. Maybe a couple of more I am forgetting, but you get the picture. I don't know what could be done to fix it? But, it would be nice to see a midget league, little league, JV, and varisty type set up. Might work well with other sports besides football also? They could also play some KY and Taz. Co. schools in the mix if needed. Heck, even if there were only 4 teams and they played each other every other week or so it would be better than kids standing around on the sideline not getting to play for whatever reason. Just a place they could actually play and learn the game until they get up to the JV level.

Lance,

When you were in Grundy the Coal Boom was still going strong.(lol) Since 1993 the enrollment has dropped 75%. It is hard for the little league teams to get enough kids. Right now they are 1st - 6th graders. Vansant has 2 teams, Prater, J.M. Bevins, Big Rock, and Harman. I think the eighth grade team does a great job. I think you can count the losses on one hand since Dale Cox took over in the 90's. What happened on last years team? They were 8-1 last year. I think the reason that most do not play football as freshmen and come back is maturity. The freshmen are afraid to hit the bigger kids,lack of starting spot, ect... the price of having a good team. But I think Grundy has about 40 kids out this year. As for the wrestling excuse some kids do use this time to get ready for wrestling season. But this year 11 of the wrestlers are playing football. The wrestling coaches have adjusted the schedule for a Long Football Season!

Yeah...i know about the drop in population...i was just saying, to bad it can't be like it was.

As for the 8th grade team...i think there are a lot of benefits to having the teams split off to better align the age groups...like you said with the age difference the younger/smaller kids don't want to hit with the bigger kids.

I think if you could have up to 4th as a midget league, then 5th - 7th as a little league, then 8th and 9th as a JV team you would be doing the kids a lot more towards teaching them the game, and developing skills that they will use in JV and High School...as far as Dale goes, I don't really have anything against him, I wouldn't say anything bad about any of the coaches who give up their time to teach kids the game, but...last year I went to several of Grundy's 8th grade games...the way it is, you have kids on the sidelines playing in the dirt and grabbassing around with each other not even knowing there is a game going on...wtf is that? The answer?

Those kids already knew they were not going to play...there were few that played, the rest were sitting around bored...that's bullshit at that level. Yeah you want to win at any age, but winning is not everything - or the only thing. If you want to do what is good for the "program" and I think you should take full advantage of using the lower grades as "farm teams" for the higher grade...other places sure do it...then you have to encourage those kids to play...and to play you have to get on the field...and like you say...with the age difference, that is not always possible is it as it stands right now?

That's all I was trying to say...I'm all for going 8-1 on the 8th grade team, but when you have kids that don't want to play after that experience, or don't have a place to fit in because of age, then it's sad...I know they had some sort of JV team meeting and I think what 7 kids showed up? I know of about 6 kids right now that were on that 8th grade team that are not playing for various reasons...they'll probably show up again in a few years, sure...but if things were different and they had a place to play during those years, what would that bring to the high school team in a couple of years?

I don't know if you get what I'm saying or not? I'm not being negative, and I'm sorry if it is sounding that way...I was just trying to say it would be cool if there were enough kids around that wanted to play and they were able to be grouped a little closer...i think it would do nothing but help the high school program as a result...

but that's just me.

And as far as the wrestling goes, wasn't making any excuses...some of the kids that play football don't wrestle because of it...what would it be like to see Aaron Marcum in the HVY WT bracket I wonder? It goes both ways...was just saying that as far as football goes there are kids that don't play because they wrestle...and that's true.

wow..that was way to long...lmfao confused.gif

If Aaron Marcum wanted to wrestled, instead of playing FB/LB at 230 pounds, he'd prolly try and keep his weight down to the 215-220 range (which is where he'd wrestle since the Lee kid is the Hvywt, if I didn't know better).

Thats just an example of what I meant before. Nothing negative, I promise.

i definetly agree. we cant beat kids like 5 or even 6 years older than us. although last year we went only losing 1 game. but we dont have a qb on 8th grade team. we have a halfback as qb. i guess no one showed up for the qb position. but next year i will be out there, hopefully at qb so we will do a little better. well good luck all teams, our 8th grade need it! see you at the game at grundy!!

• 2 weeks later...

Well tommorrow will be a good JV game, when Lebanon goes to Honaker. That will be a very intense game, I look for it to be a battle in the middle with the lineman. Each team will have a couple of 11th graders (which I don't think they should let.) But I think the edge goes to Honaker, b/c Lebanon has 9th grade qb, fb, hb, and other positions. The people to watch for on Lebanon is Conley Yates(TE that is basically a WR in a TE body and OLB), Freddie Hafley(backup HB. Should start but missed first couple of practices b/c he was away.) and the center(don't know his name but seems really keen on not letting people through. He played one play on defense last game and got a sack. Look for him to play more tommorrow) Defensively they have a small line so look for Honaker to run against that.

I am glad to hear that Lebanon has a strong group of guys coming up. I hope that Henley chooses on of those guys to QB and doesn't try to use both of them. I think that he hurt Lebanon in the past by using McCoy and Miller.

Lebanon has NEVER used a senior in a JV game...........Total lie. Both Lebanon and Honaker have used juniors that don't see varsity playing time on JV. Honaker came to Lebanon last year loaded and Lebanon went to Honaker the year before loaded. NO seniors on either team.........don't start rumors that can't be backed up. BOTH teams are guilty of loading up their JV teams for the Lebanon - Honaker game. My opinion is that both are crazy for doing so, especially with the entire district schedule ahead of them, neither has a lot of depth. JV is for preparing kids for varsity play, the win-loss means nothing.....just bragging rights.

Honaker used 6 seniors, i heard last night. might not be true but they had alot of "hold back" sophmores so yeah, its kinda like lebanon jv did play alot of honakers varsity. clodhopper, one thing wrong, that lebanon used two jv subs, yates and arms. also, if u noticed, arms got injured around the beginning of the fourth and right when he got hurt they started to lose? he either has a bad fracture or a broken arm, dont know yet.

All I've ever seen Yates do is kick on varsity, I did'nt figure that counted. I suppose Honaker forgot Lebanon just played'em a couple of weeks ago and forgot who all their varsity player were, you can bet we all remember Newberry. It does'nt matter though, you boys made a really good showing I thought, looked like the line was about worn out in the 4th quarter, need to get in better shape. I was really impressed with Arms, Yates and Cox on defense, Arms will be a tough lineman for the next couple of years, I did'nt know Yates was as good a reciever as he is, if you get the ball close he'll usually come down with it. Anyhow, I think the future is pretty bright, next year will be tough but it looks good after that.

Yeah its broken for Arms. Weird thing is that ebanon plays richlands monday and he says he is playing. so if people want to come watch a real good jv game, come monday 6 at harry suart field. it will be interesting considering arms came fro richlands. no wonder he wants to play with a broken hand.