Lebanon D....

51Leb51

I am kinda partial to them but their D is really good. # 75 Pepper Yates is a brute. I hear that he presses 500 lbs. which is awsome for a high school kid!!! Let me know about what you think of there D!!!!!!!

Lebanon has a pretty solid D. I met Pepper on several occasions at the Lebanon track meets (the funnest darn track meets around lol). I can believe he benches 500 lbs! Has he gotten the squat record at Lebanon yet? He told me his cousin still holds it, but I figured he might have broken it by now.

Yeah the defense is one of the best in SWVA, but Pepper don't bench 500 pounds. During the summer he got 420, but that still is good for a high school player. He is one of four I think Lebanon has for division-1A school. Pepper Yates, Bud Miller. Thayer White, and Drew Short all have what it takes to go for it. They also have others that could play 2-A. another guy to watch for who is just a junior is zac lambert.

I've heard that they keep the individual weight lifting stats for the entire school and Pepper is in a class of his own, something like 1700lbs in 3 different lifts, bench, squat and something else ( I don't know what the 3rd is, I just heard some people talking about it). Anyhow, I don't want to brag on them too much but Lebanon seems to have a very balanced defense, strength, quickness and speed. Pepper Yates is always double and triple teamed and that has really cut down on his individual tackles but it sure has created some big hits for the linebackers, Farmer, Gilmer, Massey and Lambert are sure lighting some people up. I looked at Rual Retreat's roster and was amazed with how well they played to be so young, they'll be the class of the field in about 1 or 2 more years, what impressed me most of all was their desire and never gave up the entire game, that bunch of kids really earned my respect.

I agree 100% that Lebanon has a very tough D. Drew Shortt can shut down any reciever in the area and the D-Line is strong across the board. I am also very impressed with Thayer White running the ball. He is a completely different back than he was in the Honaker game. His confidence is off the charts. I would also like the opinions of other Lebanon fans. Don't you think with Sexton's height they should try more fade routes when they have the ball inside the 10-15 yard line. It would almost be unstopable. That is just my opinion.

I'm gonna tell u one game i think will be great..Richlands at Lebanon, if Lebanon's D is as good as u ppl r saying which it must be since they've basically shut down there oppenets thus far, this should be a great game, I know im looking forward to it, mark your calendars....11-5-04 should be a great nite of football!!!GO BLUES

It's great to hear that the Lebanon D is playing tough, and the Pioneers are having a great year. However, I do not believe that all those players are D-1 caliber. There have been a lot of good football teams in SWVA over the years, and seldom do 5 players from 1 team go D-1.

Nope......you're right about the D1 prospects, Yates probably could have played D1 if he had been about 3 inches taller, he has the quickness, strength and speed but it'd be tough to make it at 5'11", he's still a good propect for a small college and I'm sure is being noticed, probably the same for the others mentioned. The odds of single A players making D1 football is unreal. Anyhow, I've seen Richlands play twice and they have the very best line on both sides of the ball that I've seen this year, Garrett Arms will be a D1 prospect for sure, good size and unbelieveable quickness. IF Lebanon beats George Wythe and that's a BIG if, I'm not sure how much chance they would take with their starters and Richlands would be in the same situation with the playoffs so close and neither would have very much to gain........may end up be'in one of the biggest crowds ever at a JV game........lol.

The fade routes would probably work pretty good with Sexton, nothing against him but he needs to protect the ball a little better. He's one heckuva defensive end, at least all region maybe all state, not many can get around him and turn it up the corners. All in all, I think Phil Henley has had a good game plan every week and made good adjustments, I'd have to say he's opened up his offense and used his team well.

[ QUOTE ]

Nope......you're right about the D1 prospects, Yates probably could have played D1 if he had been about 3 inches taller, he has the quickness, strength and speed but it'd be tough to make it at 5'11", he's still a good propect for a small college and I'm sure is being noticed, probably the same for the others mentioned. The odds of single A players making D1 football is unreal. Anyhow, I've seen Richlands play twice and they have the very best line on both sides of the ball that I've seen this year, Garrett Arms will be a D1 prospect for sure, good size and unbelieveable quickness. IF Lebanon beats George Wythe and that's a BIG if, I'm not sure how much chance they would take with their starters and Richlands would be in the same situation with the playoffs so close and neither would have very much to gain........may end up be'in one of the biggest crowds ever at a JV game........lol.

[/ QUOTE ]

U may be right about that at least for the second half....they may go first team 1st half...second team the rest but u never know bout em' around here!

I think that both teams will try to win that game with all they got. If Lebanon goes into that game 9-0 they will be in the playoffs. But a win against Richlands will give them enough points to beat Floyd out for the number 1 seed and homefield advantage. I think that is enough motivation to play your starters and I'm sure Richlands will have enough motivation to play also.

Riclands will play to win, This will be the last game before playoffs and the coaching staff,(I hope) would not want the players to get the laydown syndrome then. Just have lebanon show up with there A game cause The STORM is Coming!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[ QUOTE ]

Also after the way that Richlands killed us last year the Pioneers will be wanting a little revenge.

[/ QUOTE ]

you are going to have to seek revenge another year, I don't think Richlands will lose another game in the regular season.

Should be a heck of a game though...I'd like to see it.

I think that this years Lebanon team is very underrated. I know that Richlands is a powerhouse this year and will be very tough to beat (especially at Richlands) but I think if Lebanon comes to play they have a shot at it. The one concern that I have is that they have commited to many turnovers this year. They can't do that and beat Richlands.

nope...that's what killed Grundy against Richlands, if you turn the ball over they will go for the throat and put you away.

Lebanon has a great team, but Richlands has to much depth this year...they put a lot of players on the field and are able to close out close games very strongly in the 4th by doing so.

Good luck, I just don't see it happening this year.

Although I give respect to Rural Retreat this year for the toughness of their young team, they are not a team to gauge other games by because of their youth. You will be hearing a lot from them in the next few years. George Wythe's defense has been just as impressive a Lebanons though. They have only been scored on three times this year. The first was at RR when the team was out of sync because of their QB being suspended that game, the second was when Trey Smith missed a kick off (which he never does-he is an awsome kicker) and gave Northwood a very short field and the third was against GW's JV defense after 30 yards in penalties on one possession. These are not excuses because the team made those mistakes but, when you can make these mistakes and still dominate like they have, you have to wonder what they are capable of. I look forward to seeing GW play Lebanon because I enjoy watching two great teams see who the better team is that night. Good luck to both!

[ QUOTE ]

Lebanon has a great team, but Richlands has to much depth this year...they put a lot of players on the field and are able to close out close games very strongly in the 4th by doing so.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's very true Lance. Richlands has been an explosive 4th quarter team all year. Graham and Tazewell both had a chance to win going into the 4th but Richlands put up a bunch of points in a short period of time.

Maybe i was exaggerating a little bit, but this team is for real and the guys i meantioned should be playing college ball. If Pepper was a little taller, he could be a dominate force. Also, if u think about it, if Pepper, Thayer, Drew and them went to a double or triple a, do u think they would have a shot at D-1 colleges than?

I can tell you colleges (DIV 1) look to speed and size, they figure they can teach anything else! Too many good ballplayers get left out of the D1 picture because you can't measure heart and the other intangibles easily! 99% of the time the big schools will pick the 6'3" 220 lb kid over a kid who is 6'0" 210 if they are close to the same speed, i understand why, it just sucks sometimes!

I know Drew Thayer and Pepper all have speed, and so does Zac Miller. But you are right, none are tall enough. The one they need is Sexton. He has size and some speed, so he might get the shot.

I'm not disrespecting GW at all, but who have they played this year? Does any team they've played have a winning record? Sure, they may very well beat Lebanon but who really knows what kind of team they have, including themselves. Look at Lebanon's schedule then look at George Wythe's, Lebanon has allowed only 6 more points this year than GW has and played a tougher schedule. GW may be the best team in southwest Virginia......who knows? Lebanon has put their 2nd and 3rd teams in early in most of the games they've played, they've had 2 really bad games, Honaker and Chilhowie, hopefully they've gotten that out of their systems. I'm not doubting your word, it's just that they play a very soft schedule. They're undefeated and look at the VHSL points they've earned, then look at Lebanon's and you'll understand what I'm saying.