Just some notables;

In Virginia:

#27 Richlands

#32 Grundy

On the East Coast:

#12 Parkersburg, WV

#22 Bluefield, WV

#52 Martinsburg, WV

Those teams are also ranked 1, 3 and 4 in the West Virginia rankings.

For West Virginia rankings: Click Here

For Virginia Rankings: Click Here

For East Coast Rankings: Click Here

Yes BR you're right being ranked that high is very good , but dont mean anything if we dont come home from wheeling with a state championship, i just hope its not snowing this year if we make it like last year. That field was a muddy mess. Good luck to the beavers the rest of the year!

I agree completely. Bluefield is a good team, and I have had the pleasure of seeing them four times. But I can't help feeling that, in the Seminole or Valley Districts, BLuefield looks about 7-3 or 6-4. (And 8-2 will miss the playoffs in the "Valley" this fall.)

i guess you 2 rocket scientists know more bout all these other teams across the country and study rankings and schedules and patterns etc etc..than the people that put these rankings together for a living?? just go on back to sleep, we'll wake ya's for the spring thaw

I just moved back to Southwest Virginia from Charlotte, NC. I'd really like to see Bluefield set up some kind of scrimmage game, or charity game against Independence High School out of Charlotte. This post is not to stir up any emotion from Bluefields supporters, you guys have a great program. Just curious as to see how that game would turn out. Independence is a powerhouse....I believe they still have the longest winning streak in the nation, since the team out in California lost this year.

Independence is home to the Leak brothers (CJ and Chris) and IMO the best high school program in the country today. Those guys turnout nationally ranked teams on a yearly basis and no team in WV or west of the east coast of Virginia (Tidewater area) could compete with them year in and year out.

It's incredible to watch those guys play. A lot of people thought that after Chris Leak left that they were through. It's like watching a small college play. If you ever get the chance, drive down and watch a game. I guess it's about a 2 hour drive from Bluefield, maybe a little more. Like I said I've been gone from the area for a while, but I have a question. Wasn't Bluefield AAA? I could of swore that they were AAA when I played against them in HighSchool. Just curious. Thanks

I've written about any national ranking in perspective, a lot of schools outside this state are simply so much bigger, but pound for pound enrollment based bluefield would rank very respectively in my opinion though. as would a number of some of the best teams in either wv or va in any particular season, such as graham in '01 for example.

Anyhow, I recall in '84 pulaski co. played a charlotte team, not independence of course, not even certain they had a high school then or if so the quality program it is presently, but it was a close game. It was east charlotte, or some team like so.

I don't know about scheduling charlotte teams but in some seasons when bluefield doesn't have other teams to schedule it wouldn't be that odd for them to schedule some of the teams in the mt. airy, wilksborro areas, they are aa or maybe some aaa, considering nc has aaaaa if I recall, they'd also likely be considered aa or aaa in wv, and they have quality programs within an hour, 1 1/2 easy travel.

At least that would seem to be a reasonable area to schedule another game from in my opinion anyhow. Doubt those teams ever have to schedule out of state teams though to have enough games.

That's the thing, there are no shortage of teams to play down there. There is probably 5-8 schools within a 10 mile radius for teams to play. That's why I like being back in Southwest Virginia, you have one school in each town, with the exception of the likes of Bluefield, Graham and I guess Princeton would be considered close as well. It seems that the whole community gets behind their team, in Charlotte, you have a select few fans coming to the games. Well, except for Independence, the draw a good crowd, but that's because of the recognition.

i think a lot of teams around here could compete nationally. Maybe not Bluefield, but the SWD teams could definately give them all they want. I watched that Texas high school game that was on ESPN2 and they werent doing anything that we couldnt stop!

[ QUOTE ]

i think a lot of teams around here could compete nationally. Maybe not Bluefield, but the SWD teams could definately give them all they want. I watched that Texas high school game that was on ESPN2 and they werent doing anything that we couldnt stop!

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure Richlands could compete with anyone in the country with those cleats they used back during the 1995 season.

Well i have to say that Texas team is best in the nation and a lil ole swva team would have a time trying to match up.....and yea im sure they could have competed w/em in 95 with them REGULAR LEGAL cleats seeing how it was 92' when the whole cleat gate thing happened..LOL grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Maybe not Bluefield, but the SWD teams could definately give them all they want.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh ****, that's the funniest thing I've read on this board in a long time...LMAO Graham has owned the SWD district over the years and Bluefield has owned Graham. Bluefield has also owned their series with other SWD opponents over the years. Hey some advice, get a clue...