Greatest Player out of SWVA of all time

old_school_blue

I feel that Mike Compton has to head the list. He was an All-State selection at Richlands. He was an All-American at WVU. He has been successful in the NFL with the Detroit Lions. He helped pave the way for Barry Sanders record breaking years. He helped the New England Patriots win two Super Bowls and is currently a member of the Jacksonville Jaguars. Mike has played center and guard throughout his career which shows his versatility. Another player who I feel should be mentioned is someone that I played against in high school when I was a member of the Blues. Thomas Jones from Powell Valley. Thomas was and is simply incredible. I have always enjoyed watching him throughout his career. He set state records in rushing while leading PV to two consecutive state championships. He set rushing records at UVA and was named OPY in the ACC. I never got to see his brother Julius at PV. But Julius is a very special athlete as well. Thomas was drafted with seventh pick overall by the Arizona Cardinals. He had a one year stint with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and currently plays for the Chicago Bears. At one point this season, he was leading the NFC in rushing. I believe Mike was taken in the third round of the NFL Draft while Julius was taken in the second.

Is Mike back with Jacksonville? Last I heard they cut him.

I was living in Richmond when Compton, the Jones brothers, ect. played, so I didn't get to see them. Amahad Bradshaw is one of the best that I did see. My favorite players to watch from Richlands were Sandy Rogers who was a running back in the early 80's, and more recently Timmy Brown. Rogers didn't play in the NFL and Brown doesn't plan to play football in college, but both of them were among the best in the area when they played. In Rogers case, he played in the old 11-team SWD that was extemely tough.

[ QUOTE ]

You're right Mike was cut earlier in the season. Bradshaw was a speedster. Thomas Jones had the speed, moves, versatility, and ability to catch passes out of the back field as he is still showing. Bradshaw was good, but, doesn't compare to Jones.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wish I had gotten the chance to see him in high school.

[ QUOTE ]

Is Mike back with Jacksonville? Last I heard they cut him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea he was cut but I heard that Jacksonville called him up to play again due to an injury or something. He's backup for both guards.

I dont remember there being that big of a deal concerning Mike back at the time...he was big, had good size, but I don't think he became the player he turned out to be until he got to WV. I remember seeing him on the Bob Hope All American special back then and thinking "Damn that guy got huge"...not saying he wasn't legit in HS, but he got huge at WV. Just a case of living up to his potential I suppose.

i would have to say Heath Miller, he led Honaker to a state game and is currently at the University of Virginia. He is going to be leaving there early this year as a junior and going into the draft. He was a huge QB, so Groh decided to put Heath at Tight End. He is an all-american and will do great in the NFL and could possibly start in his rookie year. so, he would be my desicion for the best all time in swva.

How likely is it Heath Miller comes out early? I've heard people say he would like to finish out his 4 years before going to the NFL. Then again, being the #1 TE and a likely top 7 draft pick is hard to pass up (even if he could go higher next year, there is the risk of injury).

I think it's pretty likely if he can go in the first round. That kind of money is hard to wait for. If he came back for his senior year he might get hurt and never get a chance at the NFL. I think that's the main factor when players leave early. They can always come back and get their degree after their NFL career.

Of course, having said that, I hate the fact that they leave early. It makes it hard for college coaches to recruit the right number for each position when they don't know who will stick around. I wish the NFL would go back to their policy of not drafting underclassmen.

never leave the money on the table..school will alwyas be there...anyone who is a top draft pick and goes back for their SR or JR year is a fool...sure you can get hit by a bus walking across the street...but no sense in taking a risk like that when someone is offering you millions of $$$$$...you can always go back to school.

His signing bonus is probably going to be more than what he would make in a lifetime with whatever kind of degree he is going to get.

I guess it may be comparing apples to oranges but I feel as though someone should at least mention "Bullet" Bill Dudley, imho. The Bullet

I'm proud that I'm from an area that produced people like Mike Compton, Yubrenal Isabelle, Heath Miller, Thomas Jones, Julius Jones, and Ahmad Bradshaw. I know I have missed many and it is due to my youth and insufficient knowledge of the players all the members are thinking of...for those of us living outside the SWVA, it makes it nice to mention these names in a casual conversation.

And although I haven't found a post saying this -- I pray Bradshaw can rebound from the set-backs of life and mistakes made -- which all of us have faced and committed young and old. Further, since I do not live in the area, I hope that everyone is behind him to rebound and put it "behind him."

To answer the thread, I'll stick with old-school and say Dudley.

Heath Miller red shirted his first year so he will get his degree this year. I am good friends with him, my wifes dad coached him. This will be his last year at UVA.

I would have to say that Kelvin Coleman would have to be one of the best around---Lebanon during his time had a coach that was the Off. Cord. and he didnt care much about Kelvins color. But, he had a better avarage than did Thomas Jones(yards per carry). He only carried the ball 6 times a game.

Anyone who played football between 1993-1996 should remember him, who remembers him and do you think he was any good.

He never went to collage b/c of he wasnt to smart but he sure could run.

[ QUOTE ]

Bill Dudley was waaay before my time, but he does have an award named for him, so he must of been pretty good.

[/ QUOTE ]

BigD...I really respect how you post what you personally can substantiate because you have seen it. I have noticed that trait throughout every single post you have made. I can't substantiate Dudley. The stats are there, the trophy, the hof, and there is all the stories from my grandfathers about this cat. I guess when it comes down to it, I can't say he was the greatest. But legends, imho, are made by being great.

[ QUOTE ]

No body has mention Bradshaw ...hes just a freshman in college but i believe he was pretty impressive at Graham

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, he was mentioned in a post previous to mine. I don't recall who, though. However, from the friends I trust in the area, he was very impressive at Graham in a number of sports.

I know I'm going to get slammed for my opinion but the best all around player I've personally seen play is Ben Thornton. I know Issabelle was great and I have a lot of respect for Amahad Bradshaw but Ben was the type of guy who could pick a team up and carry them on his shoulders. I know he is not at a prestijuce college but one thing that people outside Monroe County wouldn't be aware of and that is that football players in the past have gotten recognition and playing time by their last name. Talk to almost anyone in Monroe County and they'll tell you that when teams like Marshall and VT scouted Ben that his coach for whatever reason didn't give him a good reference. I know I'm probably alone on this, but Ben will always have my respect as a top notch player and an all around good guy.

One player that I would have to mention would have to be Ed Clark from Appalachia. The uncle of the Jones brothers from Powell Valley. I never got to see him play in person but I have seen tapes of his playing days. A true leader on and off the field. He showed his love for his fellow man when he gave his life to save another.