Greatest Player out of SWVA of all time

old_school_blue

Is this the Ed Clark also known as the Stonega Stallion? He was recruited to Purdue and would have started over the returning heisman winner but freshmen were not allowed to compete. The guy I am talking about drowned while saving a child who was drowning.

Guest old_school

I don't know how many of you remember Jesse Davis from Tazewell but that kid could play some football. He had Quentin Reed in the backfield also. Both of those guys were on the state champion team.

he is leaving this year. his uncle (my grandfather) told me taht he is going to leave this year and will go in the top five in the draft. so hopefully he will do good. well i am goin to see them play miami this weekend.. should be a good game. see ya later.

[ QUOTE ]

he is leaving this year. his uncle (my grandfather) told me taht he is going to leave this year and will go in the top five in the draft. so hopefully he will do good. well i am goin to see them play miami this weekend.. should be a good game. see ya later.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm no expert but I'm not sure a TE would go that high. He is the top rated player at his position though and will probably go in the latter half of the first round.

[ QUOTE ]

I don't know how many of you remember Jesse Davis from Tazewell but that kid could play some football. He had Quentin Reed in the backfield also. Both of those guys were on the state champion team.

[/ QUOTE ]

what ever happened to Reed? I remember him well...he was last seen leaving Grundys field headed to the hospital...never did hear what happened to him after that?

I know he was 300 yards short of some rushing record at the time and went on WCYB saying "I will get it this week, we are only playing Grundy"...at the time Tazewell was coming off a state championship year and Grundy was coming off a 0-10 season in Rowe's first year...Grundy ended up beating Tazewell 28-0 in one of the biggest upsets of that time, and probably the most physical football game I have ever seen....Reed got knocked out in the first half with only about 9 yards rushing I think...that was 1987...Grundy ended up 5-5 and "co-champs" of the SWD.

I remember Stephen Holloway I think was his name, being one of the hardest hitting linemen I ever played against...that includes Mike Compton btw...the 1986 era Tazewell teams were very good.

I worked with gentleman who played with Ed Clark at Appalachia many years ago. He always mentioned him when football was the topic of discussion. He said he has never seen such an awesome person on or off the field. He made mention of Clark playing at Purdue. I never heard him refer to him as the "Stonega Stallion", but, I'm sure he's the one. It's one thing to be one of the greatest athletes of the area of all time, which he is. And he should be mentioned with or above all of the previously stated athletes. But, it's another to lay your life down for another. As good of an athlete as Clark was, he was that much greater of a man, and an example for all.

I know they were good teams at Tazewell in the mid 80's,...I was on them. Q.Reed never made any boasts about needing 300 yards against youall to break a school record. He had already go them a week before against graham in a 16-0 win for tazewell. Reed wasnt hurt either. It was Jeff Lamie who broke his collar bone on the 3rd offensive play. We lost our qb,kicker,punter, fs, and return man all on one play. Otherwise you guys wouldn't have even gotten a wiff of a win against us. By the way, Reed would have never have talked such crap on the radio. Because unlike some old and present grundy player. He and the rest of the 87 bulldawgs had class,

[ QUOTE ]

I know they were good teams at Tazewell in the mid 80's,...I was on them. Q.Reed never made any boasts about needing 300 yards against youall to break a school record. He had already go them a week before against graham in a 16-0 win for tazewell. Reed wasnt hurt either. It was Jeff Lamie who broke his collar bone on the 3rd offensive play. We lost our qb,kicker,punter, fs, and return man all on one play. Otherwise you guys wouldn't have even gotten a wiff of a win against us. By the way, Reed would have never have talked such crap on the radio. Because unlike some old and present grundy player. He and the rest of the 87 bulldawgs had class,

[/ QUOTE ]

I remember seeing the interview...and it was played to the Grundy team all that week...and yes he said it...They asked him about breaking the record, he said it...wasn't really being cocky, he just said "I hope I get it this week, we are only playing Grundy so I have a good chance." I don't doubt he broke one against Graham the week before either...very well could have...he was an awesome back. It wasn't on the radio..it was Bristol's TV channel 5. And the injury he had was to his leg I think...not a collar bone.

I'm also sure he was hurt and didn't get many yards in that game, I still have the article from the VA Mountaineer...I'll try to find it and get a scan...also have Lloyd's article from the next week.

You sound a little bitter about the whole thing still...lol. Good! grin.gif

All I was asking is what ever happened to Reed? and was just saying that game was very physical...also gave Tazewell credit for having good teams at that time...don't get so emotional about it.

Nice try at saying the no class thing to...just shows old wounds are the deepest. grin.gif

So you know what ever happened to those guys or what? Any of them go on to play college ball or anything?

I played during the time of Holloway and Reed, I think I remember Compton telling me that Holloway was going to Va. Tech, I think he played there. I ran into Adam Lallande the other day, he was our qb when we all played. He mentioned Holloway, saying they played semi-pro ball in Roanoke together. I don't know what happened to Reed from Tazewell, but I do know he was a really good back.

lance i will have to agree with you on the statement that reed made on channel 5 sports. i believe i remember some coach that used that all week in practice to remind their defense. by the way, lamie going down did not effect the out come. just asked coach litz. they had no one scout grundy at marion when they put in the new offence that had perkins touch the ball about every play. the defensive coach goforth burned three time outs in the first half trying to adjust to it. in which he never did.

Guest old_school

Reed lives in Tazewell now. He went to ETSU but never amounted to much. Losing Lamie was a huge blow in the Grundy game and Reed did get hurt. Grundy played a great game that night but Tazewell also lost to Va High the next week, so having Jeff Lamie out killed Tazewell that year. They lost to Marion in the first round of the playoffs.

did marion not go undefeated that year? and only lose to grundy by a td scored late in the 4th. maybe lamie would not had made that much of a difference in either game. who knows. you got to play with what you have, not on what ifs.

[ QUOTE ]

Reed lives in Tazewell now. He went to ETSU but never amounted to much. Losing Lamie was a huge blow in the Grundy game and Reed did get hurt. Grundy played a great game that night but Tazewell also lost to Va High the next week, so having Jeff Lamie out killed Tazewell that year. They lost to Marion in the first round of the playoffs.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was pretty sure that Reed got hurt because I was standing 2 feet away from Steven Fuller when he hit him...lol. The Grundy vs. Tazewell game from this year reminded me a lot of that game...lots of good hard hits...a lot of the time you just see a few good hits in a game along the way...cool to see one where both teams are going at it on almost every play. I watched film of the PV vs. GC game this year...another good game with lots of big hits...would have liked to gone see that one in person.

As far as Lamie goes...I guess anytime you lose a starter it will affect your team to some extent, some more than others obviously.

Anyway...I was just saying Tazewell had some really good teams back then...didn't know it would end up being a sore spot for some people.

there were two players from V-High that I remember used to give us fits. I think the QB was Scott Jones ( I had heard he went to V-Tech or was supposed to go there), the other, Lucky Daggs. I remember Lucky caught a touchdown pass on the last play of Homecoming to beat us. Oh well, pretty much everybody beat us my senior year.