You think you've seen bad teams make the playoffs

Bluefield_Rules

I was just watching SportsCenter and they were talking about Butch Davis. They mentioned that a Davis coached team hasn't has a losing record since he coached a high school team in 1978 that finished 2-8. However, they mentioned "b/c of the weak district in which they played that team was still able to make the playoffs." How does a 2-8 team make the playoffs in any state, in any playoff system?

Maybe one of those years where nobody wanted to play a team like BLUEFIELD BEAVERS and this lil team was sent to slaughter. 2-8 wow, hey that makes Va High have a winning record.hehe

It happens in Tennessee all the time. The 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th place team in each Region makes the playoffs. So if you only have 5 teams in your Regoin, 1 win will potentially put you in the playoffs. For example, Jellico High School went 1-9 but made the Class 1A playoffs because they beat just one regional opponent and there are only 5 schools in their Region.

They have a two-division setup just like Virginia, but have four classes, so they end up with EIGHT state champions. To boot, 32 teams make the playoffs in each division (256 total) and you have PLENTY of sub .500 teams in the playoffs, including a few 2-8 ones in 1A.

NCHSAA

Back in 1986 when the VHSL started this whole six division mess, I believe that a Class A team in Northern Virginia qualified for the playoffs with an 0-10 record. The school was either George Mason High School or the team that played GMHS in the playoffs that year.

Haven't found a link yet, but I'm positive that I'm remembering this correctly.

in the highlands next year if va high leaves the district, which they must unless the VHSL approves their request to stay where they are - they have already been assigned to the LPD...you could in theory see a 1-9 team make the playoffs as district champ if they all split the district and the district winner is declared by points. You have a 3 team district, they could all "beat each other" head to head , all going 1-2 in the district and drop all other games (which is highly possible with no Va High to win out the district).

The reason this happened is because in the first year of the six division setup, the VHSL didn't divide the regions in half. Instead, it took the average enrollment of all the schools in the region and put the above-average ones in the higher division and the below-average ones in the lower division.

In Region B, most of the schools had relatively high enrollments and therefore brought the average up. In this particular case, only three schools, George Mason, Manassas Park and I think Brentsville, were even eligible for the lower division playoffs and everyone else was in the upper division. Four playoff spots, and only three eligible teams. The VHSL changed the format the following year.

To make things worse, in the first year of the six-division setup, a district champion qualified for the playoffs in the upper division despite its enrollment. Case in point, Radford, one of the smallest schools in Region IV at the time, played Tazewell in the Region IV, Division 4 championship. The VHSL changed this the following year also, making schools compete in whatever division their enrollment qualified them for.

I hope the VHSL lets Virginia High stay in the highlands. I think it was stupid for us to even want go to single A. Sure our enrollment is down but Grundy and Graham have much smaller enrollments than us and they always manage to compete in football every year. I think we can have more success in the district we are in then if we went to the single A district with George Wythe, John Battle and Lebanon. We have a better chance of winning in football in the highlands, in basketball it wouldnt make much of a difference. The only sport I think we would more success in is in baseball. I think we could win the region every year if we were in single A baseball.