Weight Lifting during school hours for all sports

land_rider

They use to have "athletic study hall" for the last period at Grundy a long time ago, they are in a block system now so I don't know how that would work out today.

You could basically take 7th period and work out or do homework instead of just taking a regular study hall and be stuck in the auditorium for an hour.

As long as it's open to every student that wants to do it, I think it's a good idea, no different than gym and if you have enough credits to not need a "real" class then why not?

It's also easier on the kids when they have to leave early to travel, one less class to miss after lunch.

Lebanon has "physical conditioning". Where on mon, tue, thur, and friday( unless u have a game that day) you weightlift. on wednesday u run/ condition. anyone can join it, unless ur in 10th grade which you have to take for drivers ed. but me and one or two got permission to take p.c. when we arent in drivers ed.

Virginia High has a class where you lift for days a week, unless you have a game that day. On Wed, they do some sort of running or agility drill. Its open to all students. I think all the schools in the area should try this, its a great class that helps athletes get stronger for their sport or if you dont play sports, it helps you stay healty and in shape

I would like to see our student's in tazewell co.or any other county offered this P.C class.In order for our kids to be the best we have to give them the best in school.And for these students to excel in being physically fit we must offer this type of Class.

i think that its a good idea also. the only people at ths that get to use the weight room as far as i know of is the football players and the wrestling team. i think the baseball players have their own weight room at their field house. i mean that would be something good for any student. some have to take other advanced classes or something they dont like because the school system doesnt have weightlifting in the system as an option.

It just makes sense for the kids (male - female) to have the opportunity to get stronger and faster in order to compete. Most of these kids have to work during the summer or after school and are not allowed the same chances as everyone to compete. If this class was offered during school hours it would help all sports programs tremendoously. It's good to see some of these other schools giving not only their atheletes a chance to better their body but for the entire student body to live a healthier and stronger life. I hope that we can get this started in Taz. county soon!!!!!

The more people responds to this post,then just maybe our school board and other leaders will listen.Its time they begin to look at this,and take action.WE NEED THIS PROGRAM NOW,IN ALL THE SCHOOLS(high school level)

exactly land-rider. i mean it really does make enough sense.. some have to work and then others cant afford the weightlifting system at their home to do that type of thing. it sounds great to me. russell county schools have it as a class. i know they dont really ever have to do much. but thats besides the point.

why not offer it as a dual enrollment class through SVCC you would get the use of The colleges weightroom and be getting a PE credit for college. But I do agree with ya'll I wish Tazewell County did have something like that,I know when I was in school I would have taken it just to stay in shape especially after 10th grade is when the class needs to be implemented.

I would have thought Tazewell Co. schools offered weightlifting as a class. I don't play football but I take the class and it is great. Students in Tazewell Co. should really push for it to be added as a class.

tazewell county dont cause they dont have enough sense to try to plz any of the students. all we have is a weight room for the football players. and the baseball players have their own too. so we arent ever offered stuff like that. its kinda stupid. we reallly do need things like that. it is and could be a good program here if they would ever do something about it.

I think all the students in tazewell co. school system wants the this type of class,lets have someone that knows some of these coaches at GHS-THS-RHS-PHS , ask them how they feel about it.Also maybe our man Lance can help us get the ball rolling in tazewell co.for our students.(Just a thought Lance)

Talked to coach mance about it today and hes all for it he said to get people wanting it bad enuff and to let the board hear about it and he thinks it would happen i know i would love it cause i only have to take 2 classes next year the rest are electives i would love to lift rather than play in paint in Art class..lol!

Does anyone have an email address for the school board office or Mrs. Brenda Lawson ? If so there should be enought viewers on here to let them know how we feel.And thanks blues 56 for talking to coach Mance,We need more people to respond.This will really help our sports programs as well as the health of our students.

Good job blues 56 we are on the right track. We need everyone asking the coaches what they think, we need th e parents to talk to the school board about implementing this program for the boys and girls. We all need to ask the principals to take a look at this. Let's all do our part to get this thing rolling. Don't expect someone else to getting it going. We need all the taz. county schools to reply to this! Thankz!

Thanks BD4VT for that info.I like to ask everyone that will to please get these email addresses off of BD4VT,s reply,And begin to send Mrs.Lawson and our board members,your views on this weight lifting class during school hours.And folks please be respectful as i know you will,because this will go along way with them,if we work hard at this we can get-r-done.They are for helping the students better themselfs in everyway. Thanks sports fans

I would really love to see you guys get this class. My junior year Coach Mance tried to get it and the turned it down, saying kids would just take advantage of it and no use the time to workout. It would be a huge help to have an advanced PE class so you wouldn't have to stay after practice and lift b/c you know how much we love doing that. grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I would really love to see you guys get this class. My junior year Coach Mance tried to get it and the turned it down, saying kids would just take advantage of it and no use the time to workout. It would be a huge help to have an advanced PE class so you wouldn't have to stay after

practice and lift b/c you know how much we love doing that. grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea staying after and liftin is so much fun confused.gif, plus where sum uf us will be playing baseball we'll have to be coming to school at 7 or earlier every mornin just to get a workout in and im not a mornin person except during huinting season. So it would help in more than one way just the people at the central office dont realize it.