GO AUBURN!!!

jmarcum

I truly thought Beamer preched more discipline than he obviously does. This Tech team has been taking cheap shots all night. It seems after every play they want to jump up in an Auburn players face. Although I have seen it out of Auburn too, I kind of expected it out of them.

Should be 28-0 right now though. At least 24-0. Auburn has done nothing but miss red-zone opportunities all night. I'm eating my words right now on how Auburn would win. Tech's D-line and LB's have played tough, but the secondary has been suspect all night. Cambell is much better than I thought he was.

Auburn players are in VT's faces just as much but...who cares? It's football! Getting in the other teams head is part of the game. I'm not making excuses, I just don't buy the whole trash talk isn't fair argument.

JMarcum -

As for the late hit...the hit was made in bounds. Green should have given up but the ref was right in front of the play and used his judgment. He is the one who is paid to do that.

Running into the kicker makes you a thug? You're kidding right? Trust me, no player on any team hits the kicker on purpose.

I agree, but the only time you see Auburn in VT's faces is when a VT player instigates it. I'm not saying it is going on both ways, it is, heck trash talk is a big factor in a game. The one that I would say is acting like a "thug" is the #1 kid, not for sure on his name, but he is always trying to start something.

P.S. I am neutral in this game, but Auburn should be in the National Championship, and tech has suprised me, played a lot tougher than I would have figured, although i stil say it should be 28-6 at this point.

Hokies had more total yards and more first downs than Auburn but missed too many opportunities. Jesse Allen catches that ball in the endzone, and Brandon Pace makes that field goal...it's 24-16 Tech.

They piled up on Cadillac early in the game and poked him in the eye as well, now that was pretty thugish behavior.

I will say that Tech kept it closer than I thought they would. I expected Auburn to win this game by no less than 2 TDs.

I wouldn't be so biased against Tech but the thing that really gets me about the Virginia Tech program is their recruiting. They give little to no love to the talents in our area and in their own backyard. This fact was evident while looking at the both the offense and defense lineups listed tonight. Most of them come east and north of us (Richmond, Chesapeake, etc.) and a lot of times out of state, with the exception of Hamilton from Clintwood. As talented as Bradshaw was, Tech didn't even make him an offer.

So if Tech ever expects to make it to another national championship game or win a big bowl game, I think they need to take a closer look at the talents around here they seem to be overlooking.

[ QUOTE ]

As talented as Bradshaw was, Tech didn't even make him an offer.

[/ QUOTE ]

And for good reason. VT not offering Bradshaw had nothing to do with his talent, but the baggage he carried.

You cannot recruit kids from the area just for the sake of recruiting kids. They recruited the LB from William Fleming, but he elected to go to Virginia. They have the OL from Northside, Holland, coming in next year after he preped for a year. And in the end, the truth is the talent in eastern Virginia is lightyears ahead of the talent in western Virginia in-terms of D-1 ability.

Congrats to Tech on a well played game. The youngsters on this team gained a wealth of experience last night. I hate to say it but Tech had a very good chance of being in another BCS bowl in the next couple of years. They will be loaded.

Unless you were at the bottom of the pile, you can't say that Williams was intentionaly poked in the eye. They shut him down...why would they take a cheap shot like that?

[ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't be so biased against Tech but the thing that really gets me about the Virginia Tech program is their recruiting. They give little to no love to the talents in our area and in their own backyard. This fact was evident while looking at the both the offense and defense lineups listed tonight. Most of them come east and north of us (Richmond, Chesapeake, etc.) and a lot of times out of state, with the exception of Hamilton from Clintwood. As talented as Bradshaw was, Tech didn't even make him an offer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Virginia Tech actively pursues the top 30 or so players (that fit their system) in the state of Virginia, and several of the top kids in other states like North Carolina, Maryland and New Jersey. The talent level in Eastern VA is among the best in the country and a majority of the top VA kids come from that region. Many SWVA players have had great careers at Tech like Hamilton, Houswright, Beasley, Wynn and your own Luke Owens. In fact I would say most area kids who play D-1 football play at Tech. Teams only have 85 scholarships and no more than 25 in one year. So if Tech ever expects to play in another National Championship or win a big bowl game I think they need to recruit the best players they can find.

As for Bradshaw, Tech had no interest in him. They signed the #1 running back in the state of NC last year, and several top defensive backs. Why should they offer Bradshaw a scholarship when they have other targets ahead of him at his position(s)?

Auburn in my opinion is the #2 team in the country. They did not dominate Tech, and the #1 team in the country didn't dominate them either. In the first game of the year they lost a close one to the team that will win the Championship, and in the last game they lost a close one to a team that many think should win the Championship. They missed opportunities in both games that might have produced different outcomes. That's not bad for a team with freshmen and sophomores at nearly every skill position. Next year I expect them to play for a National Championship or win a big bowl game.

Didn't mean to ruffle ya'll's feathers, but hey, someone has to keep something going on, it's the offseason, lol. So I'll keep the argument going for argument's sake.

BR, if Bradshaw went to Tech, he'd probably still be playing with a scholarship. Look how many strikes *ahem*Marcus Vick*ahem* got before they finally suspended him. Some of these guys make mistakes, Bradshaw got a fresh start at Marshall and Marcus Vick will be back at the helm next year for the Hokies.

But anyhow, I honestly don't believe that "the truth is the talent in eastern Virginia is lightyears ahead of the talent in western Virginia in-terms of D-1 ability." How can you honestly validate a statement like that?

I believe that there are players around here that can play and should be playing on the D-1 level, but they are not being given a fair shot simply due to GEOGRAPHICAL LOCATION. A lot of people, including recruiters I'm sure, look down at our area and think that we as a whole are inferior. They think we are simple-minded and lack real education due to our low base of economy. And if you don't believe that doesn't have an effect on football recruiting efforts around here, I've got a condo in Afghanistan that I'll sell to you sand-cheap.

As far as Tech goes, I know they shouldn't recruit around here simply for the sake of recruiting, as you said. I knew Owens' name would get brought up, but other than him and Hamilton, have Tech shown any interest in any of the talent that we have had the past few years? Look at the roster:

http://www.hokiesports.com/football/players/

Obviously, there are very few players on there from SWVA. I'm not posting all of this as an attack on all the Tech fans, I would just like to see some of the local talent get a fair shake and at least get looked at/evaluated. I'm a fan of SWVA Football and I would love it if we could see more of our local talent playing at the D-1 level at Tech or anywhere else for that matter.

[ QUOTE ]

But anyhow, I honestly don't believe that "the truth is the talent in eastern Virginia is lightyears ahead of the talent in western Virginia in-terms of D-1 ability." How can you honestly validate a statement like that?

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you serious? Have a look at the endless amount of talent that Eastern Virginia has produced over the past decade in football, and basketball for that matter. It easily dwarfs any amount of talent from Southwestern Virginia

[ QUOTE ]

BR, if Bradshaw went to Tech, he'd probably still be playing with a scholarship. Look how many strikes *ahem*Marcus Vick*ahem* got before they finally suspended him. Some of these guys make mistakes, Bradshaw got a fresh start at Marshall and Marcus Vick will be back at the helm next year for the Hokies.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously, what's your point? It's situations like the Vick one that helped VT decide to stay clear of Bradshaw. At least VT punished Vick, what did UVa. do the Ahmad Brooks when he was busted for pot? Nothing. So the "saints" in Charlottesville aren't so saint after all. And if they knew the type of impact Bradshaw was in-fact capable of right away they would have never released him from scholarship.

Please tell us what players from the area should VT have recruited in recent years. I'll be anxiously awaiting your list of players from Southwest Virginia the Hokies should have given a scholarship to in recent years.

The players that deserve D1 scholarships are recrutied, regardless of the area they are from, if they fit the bill. I'm a firm believer in that. If you go on a per capita basis than this region may equal other parts of Virginia and West Virginia. But overall, their is more D1 caliber players in other parts simply because there is alot more people. For example look at the Miami Dade metro area. Millons of people and hundreds of D1 athletes within 20 miles of the University of Miami campus.

As far as the talent around here not getting there shot: Do you really understand just how good a D1 athelete is? Just because a high school player dominates here locally does not mean they can play against the best in the country. I've seen athletes from WV and parts of Va get the D1 scholarships, that were unstoppable in high school, but wash out at a major college for not only athletic reasons but for academic reasons also.

Most pro atheletes will tell you the biggest adjustment they had was going from high school to a major college, not from college to the pros. They say from college to the pros the speed of the game is a little faster, but from high scool to college it just blows them away. That's one reason you see so many kids get red-shirted.

[ QUOTE ]

Do you really understand just how good a D1 athelete is?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, and that's the problem. Many people just don't understand how good or talented a kid must be to compete at the D-1 level. They've got to have the entire package from size and strength to speed and athletic ability.

Bradshaw dominated nearly every game he played in at Graham but did you know that there are linebackers, and even defensive ends at both VT and UVA who are faster than him?

I think UVA let Bradshaw go because of the Vick situation. VT was taking a lot of heat at the time (much of it from Hoo fans) for dragging their feet with Vick...so Groh acted very quickly.

Trust me when I say college recruiters don't care where a recruit lives. They only care that he a) has talent b)qualies academically and c) stays out of trouble. If the talent is here to play D-1 football...that talent will play D-1 football. No one everlooked the Jones brothers, Hamilton, Miller ect. If you look at any region in the country with a comparable population you will find about the same number of kids make it to D-1.

The Eastern Virginia talent base being light years ahead of the rest of the state is easy to justify...just look at the rosters of the NFL and NBA. Beaverball nailed it when he said there is more talent there simply because of a larger population. Pick any one city in Tidewater and you will get a larger population than all of SWVA combined...and there are a bunch of cities in Tidewater.

Edit: Are you aware of how many local kids walk-on at VT? Some of them have earned scholarships. Browning Wynn even became a starter.

You all should feel privledged as Tech fans, as bad as I dislike them, they are the #1 school in the state, and get the big recruits, year after year. I give them 3 years, and they will be on top. Recruiting the #2 ATH in the country is no small feat. USC wanted this kid, but he decided to go to Tech. Macho Harris will make an impact there, don't get me wrong. They also have Elan Lewis, one of the top ATH in the state. These kids can be used as WR's, RB's whatever they are needed at.

On the Auburn side of the Argument, if I am not mistaken, there was a highlight video on here of a kid from Florida. His name is Antone Smith, and he WILL make an impact at the college level. He is from metro Miami, and the school that is #1 on his list as of now is Auburn. The NCAA will be interesting to watch here in a couple of years.

So by that logic, there are no members of the 2004 Class AA State Champions Bluefield Beavers that are capable of playing D-1 football? They have to come from Charleston or Wheeling or another more populated area? You don't think Coeburn or any of the other athletes from a state championship team could play for WVU? Or VT for that matter, which is a little more than an hour or so up the road?

You say that just because a high school player dominates here locally does not mean they can play against the best in the country, in turn, the same can be said for elsewhere in the state. How do you know they can't hang in D-1 if they don't get a shot or even get looked at by any of these schools?

Yes, there is a plethora of talented athletes to the north and south of us, but the fact of the matter is that simply makes the recruiters' jobs easier to stay within these more vastly populated areas of the state. For them, it's like going to Super Wal-Mart to buy their groceries, spark plugs, oil, and CDs, rather than making separate trips to Food Lion, Advanced Auto Parts, and Blockbuster Music. It takes extra effort to come down here to find any talent in this area, which is a chance they rarely take.

My point is that there are untapped D-1 caliber athletes in this area, as scarcely populated as we are compared to the rest of the state. Heath Miller got turned down by Tech if I'm not mistaken and was told to go to a military academy, but now he is proving his talent right now at UVA and he will be in the NFL next year. The Jones boys are already there. I think Albert Childress could have played D-1 somewhere. I think Timmy Brown could have played D-1 somewhere. I think the Marcum boys have D-1 potential. Agree with me or not, I don't really care.

Geez, you guys sure know how to pile up and attack on somebody in defense of the rest of the state. Yes, Northern and Eastern Virginia both collectively have the edge over our area. But as a native SWVAer, I'd like to see this part of the state grow economically and population-wise. Maybe then will more local athletes get some recognition for a change.

Why even bother going to the games around here on Friday night if you wouldn't like to see some of these boys actually make it. I am talking about *the ones with the heart, work ethic and God-given talent that could have a shot at making it in D-1.* Who here doesn't want to see them make it onto the next level?

Now, go ahead and dissect this post, I'm sure you probably will, lol.