GO AUBURN!!!

jmarcum

[ QUOTE ]

So by that logic, there are no members of the 2004 Class AA State Champions Bluefield Beavers that are capable of playing D-1 football? They have to come from Charleston or Wheeling or another more populated area? You don't think Coeburn or any of the other athletes from a state championship team could play for WVU? Or VT for that matter, which is a little more than an hour or so up the road?

[/ QUOTE ]

It doesn't matter what I think. It matters what college coaches think. If they think they can play...then they will play. It's that simple.

[ QUOTE ]

Yes, there is a plethora of talented athletes to the north and south of us, but the fact of the matter is that simply makes the recruiters' jobs easier to stay within these more vastly populated areas of the state. For them, it's like going to Super Wal-Mart to buy their groceries, spark plugs, oil, and CDs, rather than making separate trips to Food Lion, Advanced Auto Parts, and Blockbuster Music. It takes extra effort to come down here to find any talent in this area, which is a chance they rarely take.

[/ QUOTE ]

Virginia Tech recruits every county in this state and parts of several other states. They go where the talent is, not where it's more convienient. Virginia Tech didn't go to 12 consecutive bowl games by shopping at Wal-Mart. They used speciality stores that had what they needed grin.gif.

And yes...The fact a player dominates here does not automatically mean he can play D-1 football. College football in general is made up of the best high school players in the country but D-1 college football is made up of the best of the best.

[ QUOTE ]

My point is that there are untapped D-1 caliber athletes in this area, as scarcely populated as we are compared to the rest of the state. Heath Miller got turned down by Tech if I'm not mistaken and was told to go to a military academy, but now he is proving his talent right now at UVA and he will be in the NFL next year. The Jones boys are already there. I think Albert Childress could have played D-1 somewhere. I think Timmy Brown could have played D-1 somewhere. I think the Marcum boys have D-1 potential. Agree with me or not, I don't really care.

[/ QUOTE ]

Virginia Tech offered a scholarship to Heath Miller as a tight end. They told him they didn't see him as a D-1 QB. Al Groh on the other hand told him they wanted him to play QB (exactly what he wanted to hear) and once he was on campus, promptly moved him to tight end. Timmy Brown had no interest in playing college football at any level. His chosen sport is baseball and that's what he's playing in college.

Since your argument seems to center on your belief that VT doesn't recruit this area enough I won't mention players like Mike Compton who played D-1 elsewhere. I will however count the number of local players on VT's roster. I think you'll be surprised by the total.

[ QUOTE ]

Geez, you guys sure know how to pile up and attack on somebody in defense of the rest of the state. Yes, Northern and Eastern Virginia both collectively have the edge over our area. But as a native SWVAer, I'd like to see this part of the state grow economically and population-wise. Maybe then will more local athletes get some recognition for a change.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd like to see that happen too.

[ QUOTE ]

Why even bother going to the games around here on Friday night if you wouldn't like to see some of these boys actually make it. I am talking about *the ones with the heart, work ethic and God-given talent that could have a shot at making it in D-1.* Who here doesn't want to see them make it onto the next level?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd like to see them all make it to the next level, be it D-1, D-3 or someplace in between. It's not important where they go to college...but that they do in fact go to college

Think about this for a second...Say you had one million marbles with 99% of them being red and 1% being blue. If you put 10% of all the marbles in bucket A (SWVA) and 90% in bucket B (the rest of VA) which bucket would have the most blue marbles?

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Do you really understand just how good a D1 athelete is?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, and that's the problem. Many people just don't understand how good or talented a kid must be to compete at the D-1 level. They've got to have the entire package from size and strength to speed and athletic ability.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll take a kid that plays smart and is an inch shorter over a kid that plays .05 seconds faster in the 40 and plays dumb any day....you can make someone faster...but you can't put "it" in 'em if they don't have it. Some of these kids get rides on athletic ability alone...speed in particular....and most of those kids are only a hit away from getting knocked out for the season.

As for the rest it's simple...these kids are all just regular kids...there is nothing different about a kid from eastern va or western va...you have more kids in eastern va so you will have more kids go to the next level. They are not better than kids from here...there are just more of them to pick from.

There are a few that could play at the next level here:

Jones from GC

Robbinson from PV

Marcum from Grundy

Owens from Grundy

Ringstaff from Richlands

Tatum from Richlands

Wengerd from CC

Byrd from Abingdon

probably at least two linemen each from Richlands and Tazewell.

that #25 kid from Graham I can't ever remember his name?

Just look at Vic Hall...Gretna is not exactly the social center of VA? He's got plenty of attention.

I never said that was no D-1 talent in this area, but it's limited and rarely ever on the same level as Eastern Virginia. And I believe other posters have hit on why that's the case.

[ QUOTE ]

So by that logic, there are no members of the 2004 Class AA State Champions Bluefield Beavers that are capable of playing D-1 football? They have to come from Charleston or Wheeling or another more populated area? You don't think Coeburn or any of the other athletes from a state championship team could play for WVU? Or VT for that matter, which is a little more than an hour or so up the road?

[/ QUOTE ]

Honestly, none have the combo of both size and speed to play D-1 football outside of possibly Daniel Wells and Coeburn. Those two could possibly do so and If I'm not mistaken Coeburn is going to Marshall.

[ QUOTE ]

You say that just because a high school player dominates here locally does not mean they can play against the best in the country, in turn, the same can be said for elsewhere in the state. How do you know they can't hang in D-1 if they don't get a shot or even get looked at by any of these schools?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is BigD's point, but I'll hit on it as well. From the Roanoke Valley easternward in Virginia there are seemingly outstanding football teams on a yearly basis. Those kids compete against other teams loaded with other D-1 talent, especially in Eastern Virginia.

[ QUOTE ]

It takes extra effort to come down here to find any talent in this area, which is a chance they rarely take.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree entirely. If you're a talented player it doesn't matter where you are someone will find you. When there is a kid of talent in the area the Hokies and others flock here. I can remember when Isabelle played at Bluefield and it seemed as if every week Welsh or Beamer was at a Bluefield game, or one of their top assistants.

[ QUOTE ]

My point is that there are untapped D-1 caliber athletes in this area, as scarcely populated as we are compared to the rest of the state. Heath Miller got turned down by Tech if I'm not mistaken and was told to go to a military academy, but now he is proving his talent right now at UVA and he will be in the NFL next year. The Jones boys are already there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, I never said there wasn't ever any D-1 talent in this area. I have simply said, over and over again now, that it's rare when compared to other parts of Virginia that yearly turnout D-1 talent.

[ QUOTE ]

Geez, you guys sure know how to pile up and attack on somebody in defense of the rest of the state. Yes, Northern and Eastern Virginia both collectively have the edge over our area. But as a native SWVAer, I'd like to see this part of the state grow economically and population-wise. Maybe then will more local athletes get some recognition for a change.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not a single poster here has "attacked" you, or even been close. We've simply stated our own opinion on the matter and just b/c it doesn't agree with your opinion doesn't mean we're attacking you. There's a different between stating one's own opinion and attacking another poster and their opinion.

[ QUOTE ]

Why even bother going to the games around here on Friday night if you wouldn't like to see some of these boys actually make it. I am talking about *the ones with the heart, work ethic and God-given talent that could have a shot at making it in D-1.* Who here doesn't want to see them make it onto the next level?

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, putting words into one's mouth nicely. Please, what poster on here said they don't want to see these boys actually make it? Show us just one that has said that. I believe you've totally misunderstood and misconstrued what has been said.

Furthermore, I'd still like to see a list of the players from this area that you believe Tech should have given a scholarship to in recent years to play D-1 football.

Here is the list of local players on the current VT roster. It does not include players who's hometown/school info isn't lncluded on the roster, or players who are on the team but not listed on the roster. I'll give you a more complete list in April when I go to the spring game.

Bart McMillin DS 6'0" 230 r-fr Bristol, TN Tennessee High

Kevin McGlothlin C 6'1" 265 Fr Richlands, VA Richlands

Lance Goff QB 5'11" 202 r-Sr Wytheville, VA George Wythe

Justin Hamilton TB 6'3" 222 r-Jr Clintwood, VA Clintwood

D.J. Preston LB 6'1" 205 Fr Martinsville, VA Magna Vista

Nick Leeson DS 6'1" 245 r-So Abingdon, VA Abingdon

Kory Robertson DT 6'2" 318 r-Fr Martinsville, VA Magna Vista

Jeff King TE 6'5" 263 r-Jr Pulaski, VA Pulaski

Matt Tilley DE 6'2" 256 Fr Dublin, VA Pulaski

One more thing, Luke Dales was a walk-on FB at VT but is no longer with the team. Had he stayed, there would be a good chance for him to play. The top two FB's are walk-on Jesse Allen and converted TE John Kinzer.

[ QUOTE ]

So by that logic, there are no members of the 2004 Class AA State Champions Bluefield Beavers that are capable of playing D-1 football?

[/ QUOTE ]

To be honest...no.

[ QUOTE ]

They have to come from Charleston or Wheeling or another more populated area?

[/ QUOTE ]

To be honest...no. However, since 'more populated' areas have 'more people' (duh), the better chance of finding D-1 level talent.

[ QUOTE ]

You don't think Coeburn or any of the other athletes from a state championship team could play for WVU? Or VT for that matter, which is a little more than an hour or so up the road?

[/ QUOTE ]

To be honest...no. Coeburn (and a few others from our area) could make the squad at Marshall, yes, a D-1 school but face it, a step below the "big boys", but I doubt he would see much playing time at that level without other mitigating circumstances...

TRUE D-1 talent is a RARITY in our part of the world. Look at the number of kids that play high school football then look at the number of kids that actually PLAY at the D-1 level. D-1 coaches will not waste much time looking in our area to fill their rosters when they can go to the bigger cities and load up on better talent...its sad but TRUE and a lot of you don't like facing the TRUTH...

[ QUOTE ]

So your telling me lucas stone wont make it to d-1

he's had offers to virginia tech,pittsburgh and harvard i think it was

As for rusty ive herd that he is going to be a walk on at marshall next year

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, I forgot about Stone...he has the potential to kick at the next level.

I don't believe Tech has offered him a scholarship, but they are looking at him. The situation with Pittsburgh could change b/c of the new head coach, but Pitt was seriously pursuing him prior. The Harvard thing might be too hard to pass up for Stone, if distance isn't a factor in his decision. I mean it's Harvard and they're willing to pay for you to come there? Take it and run Lucas, take it and run...lol

If he wants to play big time college football he should choose Tech... but if he wants a free education at one of the world's most prestigious universities he should go to Harvard. Pitt would be a poor choice compared to the other two. If it were me I'd go to Harvard.