Updates Second round of the playoffs 11-20-15

rvtne216

I had never heard of that at the high school level. That ruins the integrity of the game. Is Bridgeport that good? I expected Bluefield to make the final. Am I correct in assuming this was an upset, or was Mingo Central expected to go far?

I had never heard of that at the high school level. That ruins the integrity of the game. Is Bridgeport that good? I expected Bluefield to make the final. Am I correct in assuming this was an upset, or was Mingo Central expected to go far?

Mingo was expected to fall a round short of Wheeling.

Bridgeport is head and shoulders above everyone else.

Magna Vista did throw a game in '96 or '97 to help a district team make the AAD3 playoffs. Only year Graham missed the playoffs from 1989-2008.

UVA, not saying it didn't happen but I've been going to and have missed only a few MV games since the school opened in 88. I don't ever recall MV throwing a game. Do you recall who they "threw" the game to? Also congrats to Abingdon on their big win tonight, to go to Northside and win is not an easy task. Good luck next week at LB. Guess we will have to get ready for a track meet with Staunton River. Hope we can score enough

UVA, not saying it didn't happen but I've been going to and have missed only a few MV games since the school opened in 88. I don't ever recall MV throwing a game. Do you recall who they "threw" the game to? Also congrats to Abingdon on their big win tonight, to go to Northside and win is not an easy task. Good luck next week at LB. Guess we will have to get ready for a track meet with Staunton River. Hope we can score enough

This would be a lot easier if I had the scores from the older iteration of this website.

Perhaps I am wrong, but I recall a 7-3 Graham team in 1996 (or 1997) missing the playoffs because a 9-0 Magna Vista team, who had already clinched a spot, lost its season finale to a 6-3 district opponent by some lopsided final score. Said district opponent leapfrogged Graham and claimed the laat playoff spot in R4D3 by literally a point or two. Given the circumstances, it was more than a little fishy.

Must have been 96, seems I remember MV came to Mitchell in 97 and lost to Graham in the playoffs. I think that's right because that same school year(97-98) we came and played the G-Men in the regional championship for basketball and won and the next week we went on to win the state championship. For the life of me I can't remember who we could have lost to. Not saying it didn't happen, just don't remember. If you do, please let me know, I like thinking back to the old days, at least as long as my memory still works half way decent.

96 : G-men were 7-3; Piedmont playoff teams were Mag, Mart & Bassett, all in Div. 3.

Mag was 'upset' by Bassett 28-12. Bengals then went to Gate City & got whipped 44-0. Gate beat Mag 21-7 the next week.

97 : Graham beat Mag 21-0 in Rd. 1.

I do remember the 96 MV-Bassett game. A big rivalry game down here in PD land. I will bet you that Coach Bateman of MV would have never thrown a game especially to the Bengals. The head coach at Bassett at that time had coached with Bateman for years at Drewey Mason and MV and knew Bateman's O and D like the back of his hand. EHC87, you remember Coach Moran don't you? Also MV turned the ball over several times in the red zone contributing to the lost. VHSLhelper I also remember that 97 game against Graham. Graham's D-line stayed in MV's backfield the whole night and the Qb took an absolute beating that night, I knew him well and it was about 3 days before he knew where he was at.