8th grade moving to High school...

Richlands_Rules

VHSL will still only count 9-12 as enrollment #'s though right? So nothing will change other than the kids going to a different place...I dunno about putting 8th graders and 12th graders in the same building confused.gif seems kinda...not cool...lol.

I assume that's right...That the VHSL will still only count 9-12.

I don't really understand the purpose behind the move (I didn't read the entire article)...unless maybe the elementary schools are overcrowded.

I dont honestly see any benefit in it at all, but they said it was very likely to happen so o well i guess.....and yea i think they just count 9-12 as enrollment, i will be a senior at Richlands next year and i can just see it now, the halls will be so packed it wont even be funny they already are now i dont see it benefiting nething.

I think they are asking for trouble if they move the 8th grade to the high school , unless they can show that research supports this crazy idea. I think that they also want to eliminate middle school sports, so is this really in the best interest of the students or is this politics. I'm sure we will be hearing much more on this topic.

I heard that they are going to have intramurals for the 5,6,7 grades and let the 8th grade play jv. If that is the case it may not be all that bad. A 8th grader will have five years of learning the system instead of 4. But the whole thing is to cut programs and save money!! I thought taz. county's moto was "Its all about the kids" confused.gif

everything is about the money...always has been. Thats why we live in one of the richest areas of the USA as far as natural resources go and have some of the worst schools. They should have been taxing the coal companies more in the 80's and putting some of that money aside for rebuilding after it was gone. For the money that came out of this region, we should have the best schools in the nation.

[ QUOTE ]

Heard this today from a few teachers and well everyone was talkin about it, but "supposedly", starting next year 8th grade will be in the High school for Tazewell county, or maybee just Richlands but id say Tazewell County.

[/ QUOTE ]

In a related story, Tazewell County's leadership decreed that it is now, in fact, 1957 and President Eisenhower is "just swell."

It's probably not likely that the 8th grade will move up. It's not just the decision of the school board, there are a lot of other high-and-mighties that this has to pass through. Some nation-wide SACS thing, for example. I'm not sure what that stands for but it has to do with colleges. All high school in SACS (including all Tazewell County schools) have already defined the enrollment and grade levels in their schools, so it would be really complicated and a really big hastle to change all that crap and get it straightened out.

Besides... it's retarded.

[ QUOTE ]

It's probably not likely that the 8th grade will move up. It's not just the decision of the school board, there are a lot of other high-and-mighties that this has to pass through. Some nation-wide SACS thing, for example. I'm not sure what that stands for but it has to do with colleges. All high school in SACS (including all Tazewell County schools) have already defined the enrollment and grade levels in their schools, so it would be really complicated and a really big hastle to change all that crap and get it straightened out.

Besides... it's retarded.

[/ QUOTE ]

SACS stands for "Southern Association of Colleges and Schools" and is the accrediting agency for all educational institutions in the regions. If such a change were made, chances are good that Tazewell County schools would lose their accreditation. And if that were to happen, I'd feel very sorry for current and future students who would be pursuing education beyond high school.

Thats right, the VHSL doesn't count 8th grade. Honaker has 8th grade in high school, so our enrollment would be about 520 if they counted 8th grade. I think Lebanon's total enrollment this year counting 8th grade is around 730. So needless to say, Honaker and Lebanon are both pretty happy to not count 8th grade!

Thats what 9th grade is for. Besides, most 8th graders aren't mature enough for high school. Most teachers agree with that. Even though there's just a year's in between them there is still a little bit of a difference. I think it's definitely better to keep the 8th grade down. I'll be a senior next year and if they moved them up I wouldn't know who to pick on. But... I would have twice the people to pick on. Well, now that I think about....

[ QUOTE ]

most 8th graders aren't mature enough for high school

[/ QUOTE ]

That can be said for lots of 9th, 10th, 11th, and 12th graders as well... grin.gif

I think moving the 8th graders to high school has to be one of, if not the worst idea the Tazewell Co. School Board has floated around in a LOOOONNNGGGG TIME...that and cutting paid coaches' positions a few years back!

Just remember one thing folks, when they make a decision that you/I/we don't agree with, their is no one to blame but ourselves...we are the ones who ELECTED these people into those positions.