Best Wrestlers of All Time in SWVA

wavefan64

I thought it would be fun to see who we all thought were the best wrestlers in recent history in SWVA. I will go with the guys that I remember, mostly from Grundy, and people can add in. And if you are going to post, keep it around 5, because there have been so many good wrestlers come out of SWVA..A lot of state champs from Grundy, so I will keep it to the multiple time state champs.

Here is my list.

8. Raymond Webb(Grundy)- How can you leave this guy out? First multiple time state champion in Grundy history. Still one of the best wrestlers on the mat at over 30 years old in the gym. Coaches Vansant's team till this day.

7. B.D. Robertson(Grundy)- Tall, lanky guy, around 6'5. He wrestled the middle weights at Grundy, and was probably the best to ever do so. 3 time state champ.

6. Greg Deel(Grundy)- Not sure on how many state titles he won, but have heard stories about him. He went to the University of Iowa.

5. Tyde Prater(Grundy)- 3 time state champ. Was ranked in the nation his SR. year, and lost to the #3 wrestler in the nation from Great Bridge. Was one of the most natural wrestlers that you will ever see. He is still continuing his career at VT. Got screwed out of being a 4 timer by 1 point. Exactly the same as a guy I will list below.

4. Luke Owens(Grundy)- Was not beat in 3 years of competition in the HVWT. class. He was a Jr. National Champion also.

3. Albert Childress(Grundy)- I know, I know why isn't he number two or one? Well, although he is a 4 timer, and should be tied with #2, I had to put him here. He deserves to be higher ranked, but the next two are without a shadow of a doubt the best two to ever step on that famous Golden Wave mat.

2. Eric Kendrick(Grundy)- Still holds the record for takedowns in a season and maybe even in a career at Grundy. He was a 3 time state champ, and he got screwed out of a state title his sophmore or junior year. He schooled some guy in the finals his senior year.

1. Shane Bowman(Grundy)- How can you not have Shane as #1? Kids that wrestle today that are 4 years old at Grundy have heard of him. Kids that don't wrestled probably have heard of him. He is a legend of Grundy wrestling. The first 4 time state champ ever in VA. I do believe. He was on a poster for High School All Americans his Sr. year. He was beat by Mark Ironside that summer I believe. He was awesome, that is all you can say about him.

Reid Ratliff won it three times if i am not mistaken. Here is my list though.

10. Jimmy Griffey

9. Raymond Webb

8. Reid Ratliff

7. Beebo Stiltner

6. I am thinking of the same Greg that you are except I thought that his name was Stiltner

5. Albert Childress- I know I am going to take some heat for him being this low as a 4 time state champion

4. Eric Kendrick

3. Luke Owens

2. Tyde Prater- except for #1 I have never watched a more natural wrestler, he should have been a 4 timer and was the 4 time team MVP if I am not mistaken

1. Shane Bowman- for all the reasons listed above plus so many more. 36 total district, region, and state matches and 35 ended in pins(if i am not mistaken the other was a tech fall)

What about Scott Justus? The only wrestler to come out of Grundy and actually do well in college... and when I say do well I mean not hindered by injuries every season, not dropping out, and at the D1-1 level.

I thought of that as soon as I entered my post what about Scott Justice he is easily top 10 most likely top 5 in my opinion, this list is really hard to make alot of people I keep forgetting about. Brian Large could be up there too.

10. Jason Cline

9. Raymond Webb, and Greg Stiltner (had to put both of these in)

8. Brian Large

7. B.D. Robertson

6. Luke Owens

5. Scott Justus

4. Albert Childress

3. Eric Kendrick

2. Tyde Prater

1. Shane Bowman

That was pretty hard!!!!! There are some really good ones that are not even in there!!!!!

For some reason, Scott slipped my mind. He was an excellent wrestler and dominated the upper middleweights. He was 160 and 171 wasn't he? I would put him in the top 5, and all of those wreslters deserve to be #1. He was the best wrestler to come out of SWVA and go to college by far. Ranked #1 in the nation his SR. year.

And also, some honorable mentions. Chris Shortridge, Brian Shortridge, Stephen Hartford, Doug Adkins, Nick Young was super tough, Davy Looney, 2 time state runner up and won it his SR. year..A lot more should go on that list, but I can't think of them right now. But one I do want to mention is JT Pruitt..2 time state champ, and one of the finest young men you will ever meet. He is at the Naval Academy right now.

Hey Biscuit...I could have told you some funny stories about Reid...lol...ask him about some of his prank phone calls wink.gif

anyway...don't forget Mike Cox and Red Childress on your lists.

[ QUOTE ]

Hey Biscuit...I could have told you some funny stories about Reid...lol...ask him about some of his prank phone calls wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I might have to take you up on that one, Lance. I might need a little dirt on him to give him some grief.

• 2 weeks later...

[ QUOTE ]

How about Keith Brown RHS John Altizer RHS If I recall the RHS team they were on kicked some Grundy butt.

[/ QUOTE ]

when was that? before 1985? If so...nothing special about beating Grundy at that time.