Bluefield vs Salem

BigT2

If you ask me, Bluefield's "hard schedule" couldn't compete against these teams in Va. I believe Pulaski County beat Bluefield in a pre season scrimmiage. According to some Cougar football players and fans, Bluefield could not handle the quickness and toughness of Pulaski County which had them beat during the end of the first half.

Due to this beating Pulaski put on the "State Champs" in the scrimmage, "Crybaby" Simon decided to add an extra quarter to the scrimmage, but once again, it backfired leaving the Beavers to lose in the scrimmage.

You're going to judge Bluefield on how they performed in a scrimmage? Give me a break. Bluefield didn't show anything offense in the scrimmage b/c coaches from Graham, Princeton, and other teams were there watching. Bluefield ran the same three running plays for most of the scrimmage and passed very little. PC's size on the OL did give Bluefield some problems defensively, but when it came down to putting the ball into the endzone PC couldn't push it across the goal-line.

On the final series of the scrimmage, with the score 13-7 in favor of PC, Bluefield opened up the offensive playbook and went into a spread formation. They marched 80-yards on five plays and ate the PC defense up with the passing attack. The Bluefield starters put 14 points on the board and PC's only put 13 on the board, which means Bluefield outscored PC by a single point in the varsity scrimmage. I believe the PC JV added another touchdown against the Bluefield JV, but I didn't stay and watch as we left when the varsity teams were taken off the field.

While PC had a very good team last year, they were not the best team Bluefield faced. Weir was just as big and physical, but ran a much smarter offensive scheme with the spread offense formation most of the game. I know I'll offend someone from PC, but so be it. I've said for sometime now that if PC would open up their offense by adding an effective passing game they'd better twice as good as they usually are. However, a team with a one-dimensional offense will always struggle to go deep in the playoffs b/c the better teams you face later can usually take away a one-prong offense. PC probably has the deepest and most talented pool of players every year of the teams covered by this website.

scrimmage doesn't mean crap...they are a joke...coaches only play the starters a few plays unless they need some sort of work on something, and they spend the rest of the time trying to figure out what the backups have in them if needed. Unless it counts on the W-L column, you won't see a "real" game....so you can't judge anything from a scrimmage....plus the ref's are usually fast on the whistle to keep people from getting hurt and stuff like that...it's a glorified practice where you get to hit new people for a change.

I'm sure Bluefield didn't show much of their offense, but do you think PC showed everything? That was our first scrimmage. We hadn't even installed all of the offense. So Bluefield didn't show their offense, and PC didn't have much offense to show. It's a wash. The game was essentially a draw, and it was a scrimmage, so who cares?

By the way, Bluefield wasn't the best team PC saw either. We played at least 5 teams that were as good as the Bluefield team I saw.

Teams will aslmost always seem better mid to later season than teams do in scrimmages. And that would apply to pc as well. But that said, I wasn't as impressed with bluefield in that scrimmage as I'd hoped to be myself, and I even posted that on the va. preps aa football message board, but bluefield was a much different team in the regular season.

Also in my opinion bluefield had a big boost when repass became eligeble around game 3, he was a considerable impact player overall and especially on o.

[ QUOTE ]

We played at least 5 teams that were as good as the Bluefield team I saw.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll take that as a compliment because I know PC played a number of very good teams this year including the likes of Salem and EC Glass just to name a couple...

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

We played at least 5 teams that were as good as the Bluefield team I saw.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea and I was the first man to walk on the moon

[/ QUOTE ]

Please get off of your high horse. There are plenty of good teams other than Bluefield, especially in Virginia. I'd say there were quite a few that could have beaten us easily.

[ QUOTE ]

I'd say there were quite a few that could have beaten us easily.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well sorry but going 14-0 and winning the State Championship by 40 some points its kinda strange for a bluefield alumni to say people could have beat us EASILY

Tons of teams could have beaten us easily...

A little school in charlotte n.c called independence high school. Where chris leak graguated from and they've been the AAAA state champions for a while now, and tons of other players that we hear there names all the time...They could have beaten us very easily..

I'm not talking about anyone beating Bluefield "easily". I said we played at least 5 teams that were as good as Bluefield. And no we're not talking about AAAA schools, but we are talking about solid AAA and large AA schools compared to Bluefield, who would be single A in Virginia.

Fleming, Salem, E.C. Glass, and Franklin County have as good or better talent than Bluefield and more of it. Christiansburg, Hidden Valley, and Cave Spring were solid, well coached teams who would have given Bluefield all they wanted.

[ QUOTE ]

Fleming, Salem, E.C. Glass, and Franklin County have as good or better talent than Bluefield and more of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's be realistic here, statically those schools should have more talent than Bluefield b/c the their school enrollment nearly double than that of Bluefield, which means many more kids to choose from. In grades 9-12 Fleming has 1366, Salem has 1214 and while I don’t the enrollment figures for Glass and FC I’d say both of them have over 1,000. Bluefield, on the other hand, has 505 in grades 9-11 and if you throw in the 12th grade Bluefield might have 670 kids in grades 9-12.

Now with that said, I know Bluefield could have competed and beaten all those teams this year. They could have just as easily defeated Bluefield though. Those teams would be able to do very well in WV in most years much like Bluefield because they have a certain type of athlete that many schools in WV don’t, especially below the AAA classification.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

I'd say there were quite a few that could have beaten us easily.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well sorry but going 14-0 and winning the State Championship by 40 some points its kinda strange for a bluefield alumni to say people could have beat us EASILY

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, I'm sorry. What I meant to say that the 2004 Bluefield team was invincible, no one in the country could have beaten them. Is that better?

The VHSL classifies every school that plays a VHSL school for ratings purposes. They classified Bluefield as a Division 2 school last year (Division 1 and 2 are 1A schools).

Here's a look at last year's VHSL Master Schedule:

bluefield_master_schedule.gif