Bluefield vs Salem

BigT2

I honestly think since Bluefield won the state AA in West Virginia, and Salem won the group AA state in Virginia, I honestly think it's about time for the two schools to go head to head with each other.

Either way, this game will bring in both the fans and money because it seems Bluefield and Salem love football and love to "win" (cheat). I think this year, Bluefield should take a trip to wonderful Salem Stadium to play against the mighty Spartans.

I find it hard to believe that Salem would schedule Bluefield. Even though Bluefield is AA in WV, they will be counted as a Division 2 (1A) school on Salem's schedule. In Region III Division 4, you can't afford to play games against 1A schools.

Then again, Bluefield might be an upgrade over Botetourt, Northside or Wm. Byrd (if one of those were dropped).

Is this game a done deal? Because I haven't heard any Salem fans discussing it.

[ QUOTE ]

Is this game a done deal? Because I haven't heard any Salem fans discussing it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't even know if such a game has been discussed. I know the rumor is Bluefield was/is trying to schedule a team from the Roanoke Valley and there has been wide speculation of who that might be. I'd love for Bluefield to play Salem despite the fact that next year will be more of a "rebuilding year" for Beaver...

[ QUOTE ]

Either way, this game will bring in both the fans and money because it seems Bluefield and Salem love football and love to "win" (cheat).

[/ QUOTE ]

We cheat? yea right, its hard to get the ref's to help you cheat. But when we beat opponents by a total of 598 points, while they only had 180.... So almost by 420 points...But yea i guess we cheat to get all those points.

You have to understand, Bluefield doesn't really play anybody that's good. If schools like Pulaski Co played the exact same schedule Bluefield played this year, they would easily won the state title back to back.

Bluefield should consider crossing over to the Virginia side hooking up with teams with high value. Instead of playing Shady Springs, Grungy (Grundy), and Oak Hill, Bluefield should play Heritage (Lynchburg) Liberty (Bedford), William Fleming (Roanoke) or even Radford. Someone with a fair team.

[ QUOTE ]

Bluefield should consider crossing over to the Virginia side hooking up with teams with high value. Instead of playing Shady Springs, Grungy (Grundy), and Oak Hill, Bluefield should play Heritage (Lynchburg) Liberty (Bedford), William Fleming (Roanoke) or even Radford. Someone with a fair team.

[/ QUOTE ]

Apparently you dont understand, no team in WV AA could have beaten us this year...ok? shady springs made it to the semi-finals before losing to wayne by 20 points or so. Then up in wheeling for the class AA state championship we beat wayne by almost 50 points.

Teams on a regular season schedule are always going to be up and down. Bluefield plays a traditionally hard schedule for their size enrollment, and in aa wv it's among the hardest.

Even if a team played an easy schedule in the regular season they'd still have to play tough teams in the playoffs to earn a title game appearance. But that said, Bluefield played a very respectable schedule. And who is martinsburg, didn't they defeat a va. aa playoff team Basset by around 30 points? Didn't bluefield defeat graham tenfold easier than richlands or tazewell who were each in the va. semis?

And who is martinsburg, didn't they defeat a va. aa playoff team Basset by around 30 points?

------------------------------------------------------------

Martinsburg beat Bassett 37-19.

Bassett was 8-2 and lost in 2nd round of the Va. Playoffs.

man you are crazy. Bluefield was the real deal this year. I watched them played, and i played against Gretna. I think that Bluefield could have gave Gretna one hell of a run for their money, they might have even been better.

Don't forget, the score of the M'burg/Bassett game at halftime was like 30-0. And also don't forget the "mercy rule" in Virginia of a continually running second half clock in blowouts, which was the case in that game. In other words, the game wasn't as close as the final score might have showed...

[ QUOTE ]

Never heard of that rule.

[/ QUOTE ]

During the Bluefield/Lee game the clock was ran the entire second half without stopping, other than timeouts, b/c of the lopsided score. I also remember the M'Burg radio crew calling into Game Night and talking about how the clock was ran the entire second half of the M'burg/Basset...

[ QUOTE ]

And also don't forget the "mercy rule" in Virginia of a continually running second half clock in blowouts, which was the case in that game. In other words, the game wasn't as close as the final score might have showed...

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no such "rule" in VA. Coaches and refs can agree to run the clock in games in which the outcome is already decided...like the Lee-Bluefield game this past year.

[ QUOTE ]

Coaches and refs can agree to run the clock in games in which the outcome is already decided...like the Lee-Bluefield game this past year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty much every other team also, except a few...Mt. view, Weir

[ QUOTE ]

Didnt gretna have Vic Hall? that QB commited to UVA?

Our defensive rush would make him pee in his pants... grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Bluefield was the complete team this year..with a very strong D...but have you watched film of Vic Hall? The kid is amazing!

[ QUOTE ]

made him run outa the pocket

[/ QUOTE ]

And that's where the fun would begin b/c Hall is great in the open field. Do I think Bluefield could have beaten Gretna? Yes, there isn't a doubt in my mind. Do I think Gretna could have beaten Bluefield? Yes, without a doubt. Do I think Bluefield could showdown Vic Hall? No way. The kid is an amazing talent, much like Nate Sowers of M'burg was/is. Bluefield didn't stop him, they just kept the ball out of his hands enough to win the game. They would have to do the same thing against Gretna and I believe they could have b/c the Gretna defense wasn't that great. The Gretna offense was just so overwhelming for many of their opponents.