Bluefield has posted its Schedule on the WVSSAC...

edrforshey

that'll never happen. i've never heard of high school teams playing each other twice during the regular season... but it would be interesting. could you imagine having the BEAVER - graham game twice in 1 season? WOW!!!

[ QUOTE ]

I seriously wonder why nobody wants to play us?

I mean its not like where the powerhouse we were last year, ya know?

I figured it would just be a tough game for most teams...

[/ QUOTE ]

You want the honest truth to that question? In speaking with a gentleman who is a well respected official that works lots of games in southern West Virginia, I asked him why it was so difficult for Bluefield to schedule 10 games.

His honest, and I would say educated reply since he named MANY coaches whom he had personally talked to about this very subject, was that no one wanted to play Bluefield because they felt that Bluefield has a tendancy to "run up the score" on some opponents. He said this is a fairly "state-wide" opinion of Bluefield as well.

Several games were mentioned...playoff games where they scored over 60 points (Webster Co.) and a couple of playoff games from the late 90's where Bluefield scored 70, blowout games against certain out-manned schools (Man and Wyoming East), and games where Bluefield was obviously the better team but wanted to "prove" something to others (Liberty-Raleigh, Oak Hill, Shady Spring, Mount View, Wayne).

He also said that if Shady Spring still had the coach they had last season, they wouldn't have Bluefield on the schedule this year.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not the one saying these things. These are quotes from WV Coaches who have talked with this certain WV Official. I can see his point to some degree...if you know you are going to take an ass-whipping, why even schedule the game?

He also said that this is the main reason that they can't get a "Conference" for football going in AA in southern WV...and if they do, Bluefield would not be invited to join. He added, don't be suprised if that scenario plays out in the near future...several schools creating a conference in football with enough teams to fill out a 10-game schedule and Bluefield not being part of it. He did mention names...Westside, Wyoming East, Iaeger, Mount View, Logan, Independence, Liberty-Raleigh, Oak Hill, Shady Spring, Summers Co., and PikeView.

WOW! Talk about making it difficult for Bluefield to even make a schedule for football. That would also leave James Monroe in a tough position as well...HMMM, didn't they used to run it up on lots of teams too???

I'm not sure what, when, or if anything will happen, but Bluefield and James Monroe better start looking out for the best interest or this could turn into one HUGE problem for both schools.

maybe you should look in northern va. cd hylton,s district plays each district team twice. most of the time they end playing one of them three times, because they could meet in the playoffs. as for graham and bluefield, it is already in the discussion stages right now.

[ QUOTE ]

that'll never happen. i've never heard of high school teams playing each other twice during the regular season... but it would be interesting. could you imagine having the BEAVER - graham game twice in 1 season? WOW!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

High school teams have played each other twice during the regular season in VA. One AAA district up around Fredricksburg plays home-home vs. every team in the district every season. Of course, that's only because the County School Board won't let them play out-of-county schools. Also, Dan River and Tunstall played twice last year to fill out a 10-game scheduel after the school mergers in Henry Co.

There was talk of Graham and Bluefield playing twice last season until Martinsburg landed on the Bluefield schedule. I know for a fact the Graham coaches offered to play twice last season but Freddy wasn't interested. Fortunately, Princeton had an opening that coincided with one of Graham's open dates and they were able to make a 10-game schedule as well.

Bluefield and Graham both need games this coming season...and if a second game was to occur, I don't think it would be on 9/30 as mentioned above...more likely 11/4...one to start the season and one to end the season.

What happened to this game?

Earlier posts had Mt. View & Grundy on 9/16 (on both schedules) & Blfd. @ Grundy on 9/30.

Now MV's WVSSAC schedule has 9/16 open, and Blfd. has Grundy on that date.

Looks like Grundy & MV are back at 9 games again.

this game was just posted on Oak Hill's schedule on the WVSSAC web site yesterday.

OAK HILL

08/26/05 H FAYETTEVILLE

09/02/05 A MT. HOPE

09/09/05 A JAMES MONROE

09/16/05 A POCA

09/23/05 H BLUEFIELD

09/30/05 A SHADY SPRING

10/07/05 H SCOTT

10/14/05 OPEN

10/21/05 H ROANE CO.

10/28/05 H MT. VIEW

11/04/05 A GRUNDY VA

As for bluefield running up the score, while they have had some very high scores, and in "some" games they could have substituted on o earlier, I've never known bluefield to have starters in late in the game of these games. Hardly ever do I even recall starters in in the 4th quarter in most. Through 2 quarters and a some or even a lot of the 3rd, while the scoring is up to the coach, I don't ever really blame coaches who play hard for much of 3 quarters.

There are few exceptions, such as 0 - 10 teams who are outclassed in a big way withing minutes, such as lee high was against bluefield for example, with all do respect to their program.

Lee high is also a good example of bluefield having a lot of class, as bluefield subsititued at the start of the 2nd quarter and played reserves most of the game in '03 and '04.

There have been quite a few teams in bluefield's stronger seasons when they could have scored as many points as they desired, but substituted reasonably.

There have been a few games of those mentioned where the score was purposely excessive in my opinion, but it often seems to be in response to on or off the field incidents from the other team, example, teams that seem to committ a lot of cheap shots while the refs permit it at away games commonly result in bluefield's starters being in the game longer.

Right or wrong in that, I've never known bluefield to have starters in late in such a game without provacation.

And that said, not certain the roeason anyone would point the finger at bluefield, there's games almost "every" week throughout wv and va. with such margins of victory.

Reads more like a built in excuse for not scheduling bluefield.

I know though G man, you are simply posting what you've been told.

I also agree a 2nd bluefield graham game isn't and shouldn't be out of the question, especially considering the gate.

As for a conference, again I would personally prefer bluefield is not in a southern aa conference.

Lets get be realistic here folks, had Bluefield wanted to they could have hung over 70 points on a number of teams this past season including Graham, Princeton, Oak Hill, Hoover, Beckley, Lee, Shady, and MV the second time around. In fact, in most of those games the starters were pulled before halftime and after playing a small part of the second half pulled for good.

They could have done the same thing in the past as well. In recent years Bluefield has pulled their starters well before I personally would have (defense wise) against the likes of Liberty in 2002 & 2003, James Monroe 2003, Mount View 2003, Lee 2003, Hoover 2003, and Westside 2003. What some folks might not realize is that many of the lopsided games Bluefield has won recently could have been a lot worse had Bluefield decided to make it such. If you think back to 2003 and the Liberty game, Bluefield pulled their starters for good with 11:30 left in the SECOND QUARTER. So to me, and like Buzzsaw commented, that seems like a built in excuse for not playing Bluefield or in my view a copout.

I still have the game article from the 2003 Lee High game where the Lee coach publicly thanked the Bluefield coaching staff for removing their starters so early in the second quarter. As he stated, "Bluefield could have named their score tonight, but didn't feel the need to prove that and I appreciate their sportsmanship."

And conference wise, Bluefield should NEVER join a conference of southern teams unless they can exclude the football team from participating in such.

"If you think back to 2003 and the Liberty game, Bluefield pulled their starters for good with 11:30 left in the SECOND QUARTER"

That's the thing about it, some of these teams in these playoff games simply haven't ever faced speed, nor can they do anything about it, be it against 1st or 2nd team players. Liberty raleigh was a good example, webster county another, ect.

I totally agree with you guys and as I said I was only posting what the fellow told me.

Unfortunately, Freddy's rep is not that great around the state of WV. And lots of coaches only see the final scores, not the actual games. I certainly agree that Bluefield could have scored whatever they wanted to on lots of teams last season, and yes, they did pull the starters EARLY AND OFTEN. But the result remained for those that aren't "in the know" to criticize and make the accusations of "running up the score".

Seriously though, if those teams mentioned do pull a slick one and create an 11 team AA Conference in southern WV, Bluefield and James Monroe are going to have to "travel the world" to make a 10-game schedule.

they both had 9/30 and 9/16 open, bluefield ageed to play on either date if the other team could find a game on the other date. now the word is they are negotiating to play graham on 9/30 for the second time. if that happens it leaves mt view game in limbo. just have to wait and see.