Drug Testing High School Athletes

GrundyWinsAll

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest BB_TWEEDER

[ QUOTE ]

I think it's a waste of money myself...I don't think there is a "huge" problem with it at the HS level

[/ QUOTE ]

It is a major promblem in high school today. maybe not when you went, but there are alot of kids in this area who use (elegal) performance inchanching drungs, Steriods, Narcotics. Any form of drug that will make them feel that "high" that will make them run threw a wall and not feel it, they take. High Schools all over the sourounding area have a major problem. You would have to be in high school now and just pay attention to a lot of athlete's and notice. mad.gif

weed, pot, reefer, grass, cheeba, bone, leaf, nugs, fuzzies, midis, buds, hash, ganja

Ecstasy, Extasy, E, X, XTC, Adam

acid, trips

liquid ecstasy; Rohypnol: roofies, roach

special K, K, vitamin K

magic mushrooms, shrooms, mushies

coke, Charlie, snow

smack, junk, H, jack, horse, dope

Did i umm...miss any?... grin.gif

I think that if the state starts drug testing all athletes for steriods and other drugs then this area is goina lose a lot of good athletes. I cant believe that some people believe that if a kid fails a drug test and gets kicked off the team that this is goina encourage him to stop using and drugs and get back on the field. It will do the complete oppoiste in most cases and the kid will choose drugs and alcohol over sports. I have seen happen in the Bristol area many times in the past several years.

I think that testing for steriods would be a good idea so that the kids are all on a even playing field but doing drug tests for other drugs is goina hurt more kids than help them. Its invasion of privacy and will push more kids away fro playing sports which can be better anti drug than anything.

In a way I agree with the testing and in a way I don't. Maybe you should have to take a piss test to make sure you are clean when you take your physical, that would be a pretty decent idea. But I think random testing would be a waste. You can tell if a kid is on roids by just looking, especially when you see a kid that is 150-160 go to 220-230 over the course of an off season.

This is speaking for Buchanan County in particular. I would put some serious cash on the fact that students at Grundy, Hurley or Twin Valley can not name off 20 people that do not smoke weed, if you drug test the football teams at any of these schools, your likely to lose half of the team to the simple fact they smoke pot, or use some other kind of drug or stimulant...It is a sad fact, but it is true.

Another thing, you have to look on the emotional effect it will have on a kid who is caught, and this goes back to the whole invasion of privacy thing. The kids that get caught will be labled as a "druggie" or "pothead" for the rest of their high school days and are likely to lose a lot of friends in the community. I'm not saying that anyone wants to associate with a pillhead, but look at it this way, what if your closest friends are abusing and you have no clue, won't it hurt when mom and dad won't let you hang out these people anymore?

And one last opinion, the kids that are doing the drugs are going to do them anyway, regardless of tests. These kids don't really care if they are caught or not, so it isn't like it will stop anything, it might scare them up, but it is a proven fact, many kids who are on probation for drugs will be right back on them after their time is served.

Drugs ruin lives and take lives. They are a danger to the person taking them and the people around him. People are willing to lie, cheat, steal, and even kill to get them. If drug testing causes us to lose a lot of good athletes, so be it. Having drug testing in place will prevent that many more good athletes from picking up the habit in the first place.

[ QUOTE ]

Drugs ruin lives and take lives. They are a danger to the person taking them and the people around him. People are willing to lie, cheat, steal, and even kill to get them. If drug testing causes us to lose a lot of good athletes, so be it. Having drug testing in place will prevent that many more good athletes from picking up the habit in the first place.

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree with you 100%

Yes they do BigD...I have seen it happen first hand. Drugs and the lives they ruin are real, and the problem in the community is real, but you have to look, the people that are users are going to use regardless of tests or anything like that, and I have seen that first hand. Am I friends with these people? No, I am not, but all that I am saying is the kids will continue to use the drugs, no matter if there are tests or not.

Whatever the VHSL wants then I am all for it. There are arguments for and against it but like I said whatever is decided upon is best. I have been on an 8-2 team and a 10-0 team and I never ever had any reason to believe anyone had anything to do with steriods at all and dont to this day. Nobody ever talked about it. I thought that it was the biggest problem at the college and pro level but if it keeps some kid from dying or getting hurt then by all means.

Now recreational drugs, yeah thats always been a problem. Really cant say I knew many football players that did that either but im sure it happens. Kids will be kids. They dont need to be taking anything illegal, drugs, roids, anything so if they make testing mandatory then thats fine but I just hope that if that happens and kids test positive that they dont get sterotyped, labeled or get big articles up in the papers about them. But I am sure if kids know they will start testing they wont do it.

Ive said it before and I will say it a million times. Kids dont need roids all they need is protein. Plain and simple. I benched 405 last week, no lift off or anything and I am just getting back into lifting again so I am still weak but when you get 1 gram of protein per body pound the results and strength gain will always come. Thats how I got my strength, its how aaron put on 20+ pounds, and how garon did the same. Just buy you some big bags of protein and hit the weights hard. Its that simple, no health problems, and no loss of playing time. Just always make sure its just protein and nothing else.

[ QUOTE ]

the kids will continue to use the drugs, no matter if there are tests or not.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree but what about the younger kids who haven't used drugs yet? If they know drugs will cost them the right to play sports... maybe they won't start using them.

Very true, but I don't think it will cure the recreational drug problem. If you went to a high school party 20 years ago the worst drug there was marijuana. Now it is loritabs, coke, oxy's etc..That is how much it has changed. Lets say a kid goes with intentions of not doing anything, and he is peer pressured into smoking dope, then he or she is hooked. And this still isn't going to cure the binge drinking in our communities, that stuff is out of your system the next morning.

This has got me thinking though. What about the offseason? Should you have monthly tests all the way through SR. year or what? I'm sure the kids that use can wait from August until December. What about during the sesaon? How frequently will the tests be? Marijuana can be out of one's system in a few days to 6 weeks. Just a little food for thought here.

Exactly, use this as an example:

If i was an 8th grader about to beocome a freshman in h/s. And i read in the paper about a 10th grader that got kicked off the team for testing positive for drugs. Then i wouldnt ever do drugs again. Because i would understand the reality that i could never play sports again in school...

So, your saying that just because it's harder to catch binge drinking, then to not test for drugs or roids?? I'd MUCH rather them crack down on part of the problem than to not crack down at all.

[ QUOTE ]

I think the testin is a good idea, i dont care wat kind of drug you are doing or if you didnt even like it, it was your choice for doing it in the first place and you would then have to take responsibility for it. Plus, if you are on harder drugs, you most likely arent gonna want to play any sports after school anyways, you would rather go home and shoot up or w/e.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with you on this one..Its there choice and if they want to make a mistake they should have to pay for it

You really didnt have to name all the drugs on here bluefieldrocks lol

But I don't think they should have random tests. They should test you as a team and give u a couple weeks notice. Even if we lose great athletes they most likely will stop if they want to play next season or at the next level

A couple weeks notice would defeat the purpose. Instead of "I know I can't do drugs if I want to play sports", it will be "I know I can't do drugs for two weeks before the test".

But if they know the test is coming then they might want to straighten there act up. Because if you have random tests then you might not even have a team at all......I would recommend random tests after the first test is taken

Random tests, yes, but random tests don't give two weeks notice. They pick a random person on a random day and test him.

The idea is not to desimate a roster, or punish anyone, the idea is to prevent people from becoming users in the first place. To make sure everyone knows if they use drugs at any time they will be caught and not allowed to play sports. "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure"

First offense- Parents notified, 30% of season suspended

Second offense- Parents Notified,Suspended for the school year, Must complete rehab program before returning to Athletics.

The penalty must be stiff. Some of you say that this will not help. I think it will. I think the Death Penalty deters people from murdering people. If the penalty is stiff enough the problem will leave the sports.