I found a Wimpy and Wally's from 1993 last night..

Bluefield_Rules

For Bluefield fans 1993 was the worst in the storied history of Beaver football. It was the first and only winless season as the Beavers finished 0-10. However, their schedule was BRUTAL that year. Check it out...

Graham (10-3)--Lost 24-14 (Lost in Va. state semi-finals)

Tenn. High (6-4)--Lost 42-21

Greenbrier East (7-3)--Lost 21-6 (No idea of playoff results)

Pulaski County (13-1, Virginia State Runner-Up)--Lost 56-7

Barboursville (12-1)--Lost 20-17 (Lost in WV state semi-finals)

Woodrow Wilson (7-3)--Lost 32-31 (No idea of playoff success)

Mount View (7-3)--Lost 31-10 (No idea of playoff success)

Princeton (9-1)--Lost 21-13 (No idea of playoff success)

Milton, WV (8-2)--Lost 41-7 (No idea of playoff success)

Sullivan-South, Tn. (11-2)--Lost (Lost in Tenn. state semi-finals)

'03 was in my opinion 1 of the very hardest schedule a bluefield teams 's ever played considering the caliber the teams were that season. Pulaski county was also nationally ranked, Barborsville was undefeated aaa # 1 when bluefield played them. Sullivan south was if I recall correctly undefeated or around 8 - 1. Bluefield actually had a respectable team at the start talent wise, but had some injuries and basically went downhill considerably after donnie rozell, among bluefield's better rb's in the '90s in my opinion, was injured for the season. It was not unlike the '99 season when at the end of the season, the team they had didn't really resemble the the team they started with. That was also the season the boosters and others determined bluefield would stop playing up in aaa and they moved to aa in '94.

Weren't Kingsport's teams pretty tough back in the day? They had like a wall dedicated to State Championship pictures in the lobby of their gym, and another to football All Americans. They must have been pretty tough...lol

[ QUOTE ]

Sullivan South lost in the AAAA semi-final and Tennessee High didn't make the playoffs in 1993. It's been a long time since any Tri-Cities area school has won a football state championship in Tennessee.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, I was always told one of the Tn. teams that Beaver played that year advance far into the playoffs; some told me they won the state title. I actually did some searching and found a Tenn. High website that list their football records throughout the years. They were 6-4 in 1993...

[ QUOTE ]

Also I thought in '93, graham scored on a pass on the last play of the game to avoid overtime? Anyone recall the '93 bluefield graham game differently?

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, Bluefield led 14-12 and Graham had the ball late and was driving. Graham called a pass play, the QB rolled right and threw back left to a wide open Stephen Gunter (I think) who took it up the left sideline for a TD with just over 20 seconds left in the game, putting Graham up 18-14.

Bluefield got the ball after the kick-off and ran a couple of plays with time winding down. On the last play of the game, Bluefield attempted a pass that was deflected, picked off, and returned for a TD as time expired giving Graham the 24-14 win.

I went to the Tennessee High game in Bristol the next week, Bluefield was playing them tough until the T-High QB broke a long run on the last play of the half. After that, it was all Tennesse High...