Best High School Football Game

hhstigerfan

[ QUOTE ]

1995...Bluefield vs. Graham...The Beavers scored early and often jumping out to a 20-0 lead in the first quarter. The G-Men never quit scoring the games final 26 points to win 26-20.

1995...William Campbell vs. Graham...Undefeated William Campbell stormed into Mitchell Stadium for a State Semi-final showdown with the G-Men. The Generals were averaging over 40 points per game but the G-D stepped up holding William Campbell to a single TD and scoring Graham's only points on an INT return for a TD...Graham 7 William Campbell 6.

[/ QUOTE ]

Glad to know I was involved in what you think are two of the best games you have seen. Those would be on my list from that season along with the thumping we put on Gate City in Mitchell. And obviously, the state championship game!

Take care, man. I love this site.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[ QUOTE ]

I personally liked the 04' Tazewell/Graham game when Eric McDaniel blocked a potential game winning field goal to give Tazewell a 7 to 5 win. I still get chills when I watch that film.

[/ QUOTE ]

if our line only knew how to block that game instead of just giving up and making our kicker do everything he could to try and just get it off....the one thing i will remember about that game is the tazewell bulldogs team running on to the field during either the moment of silence or the national anthem...

IMO, easily 1987 Richlands at Tazewell

This had to be one of the most-hyped regular season games I can remember. Richlands came in unbeaten and unscored on in three games while Tazewell was coming off a state championship. The stadium was full TWO HOURS before kickoff and between 9,000 and 10,000 people showed up. It had to be the largest crowd ever at Tazewell.

As for the game, Neither team led by more than 7 the whole game. It was tied 21-21 in the fourth quarter when Richlands went for it on fourth down but Robie Peery stopped RHS QB Adam Lallande (I can't remember if it was an option or a scramble). Tazewell took over and eventually scored on a short TD by Quentin Reed, who had over 200 rushing yards and 4 TDs on the night. Final 28-21 Tazewell.

The best football game that I have ever seen or been part of, was the 1992 Richlands vs Marion game that went 2OTs, They were 4-4 and we were 8-0, they had a running back that was 5'6'' 245 lbs that was like a bowling ball.

Tazewell vs Richlands '03.. 12-10.. Richlands missed a FG wide right.. They had 4 sets of downs inside the 10 yard line and couldnt get it in.. Dont know about Richlands record but I know ours was 1-9.. On the "Massey Ratings" it was one of the biggest upsets in the state..

Maybe great for a Tazewell fan because they played a good game, but Richlands missed too many opportunities. When you get inside the opponents 5 yard line four times you need to go ahead and get some points out of it.

<font color="orange"> </font> The best football game I saw last year was the Lebanon/Rural Retreat JV game. We scored first on a 5 yard run by Corey Hyler. Then Lebanon got the ball back and drove it down our throats and scored on a pass to Conley Yates. We got the ball back and got rocked by the Lebanon defense, so we lined up to punt. Lebanon got a good rush in and blocked it, running it back for a TD. They now had a 14-6 lead. It was mainly a defensive struggle and battle for field posistion up until the middle of the 3rd quarter, when Zach Blevins recovered a Lebanon fumble in RR territory, stopping a crucial drive for Lebanon. We took the ball right down the field and tied it up with a short run by David Harrison. With about 3 minutes to go in the game, RR got a stable drive together led by the running of Dustin Anderson, capped off by a 10 yard TD run by David Harrison to take the lead for RR with about 1 minute left on the clock. RR kicked off and Lebanon's return man, Freddie Hafley missjudged the kickoff, and could not catch it. It bounced around a bit until he finally picked it up and was drilled by our kickoff coverage. Lebanon set up at about their own 8 yard line, where they stalled until 3rd down, when their QB heaved a prair down the field, and it was caught and ran down to about the RR 40 yard line. Lebanon then stalled from there and completed a pass on 3 down but it wasnt for a first down, so the clock kept running. The Lebanon QB, apparently not knowing what down it was, spiked the ball to stop the clock on 4th down, ending the game. RR took over and kneeled to run out the clock. It was a hard-hitting, smash mouth, back and forth kind of game. Best I've seen, even though it was a JV game.