Best High School Football Game

hhstigerfan

There's a thread similar to this on the LPD Board. Whats the best high school football game you've ever witnessed your team or another schools team play? Here are a few of mine:

Honaker vs Appalachia '02 - Appy wins 24-22 after a final touchdown at the 1 yard line with a half second left on the clock.

Honaker vs Floyd '99 and Honaker vs Clintwood '99

Richlands vs Tazewell '03 was definitely one of the best comebacks I've seen.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ill have to say the 2002 region iv division 3 championship game between grundy and graham, which grundy won 21-14. Very cold, and snowy. That was the best game ive ever played in or have witnesed. And the powell valley, gate city game last year, in the playoffs, was a very good one too, packed house.

Yeah, the grundy-graham game at grundy was a real good one, i think it was in 2001, 35-34 graham in OT. which grundy lost by going for two and the win, but missed the 2-point con. And the grundy-richalnds game in 02 was a good one as well, with richlands making and unbeleivable comback to beat grundy.

#1) I ever saw was 1999 2nd round of WV AAA Playoffs. Parkersburg Big reds trailed 18-0 with under 6 mins. to play in the game against Huntington. We score and cut it to 18-7. On side kick recovered by Huntington and they run about 10 plays eating the clock down to 1:59 to go. They punt and Big Reds have to go 80 yards to score. We score with 59 second to play making it 18-13, Go for 2 and score it now 18-15 with 59 seconds left. On side kick hits a Highlander and is recovered by a reserve defense end for the Big Reds. We must go 58 yards with only 2 timeout to win or get to about the 20 for a tieing FG. We score once with about 23 seconds left but its called back by an illegal receiver down field. The wideout had covered up a slot receiver that was suppose to be on the line and the wideout was suppose to be off the LOS. We elect to kick a game tieing FG with 15 seconds left. Its wide left, but under a big pile of bodies right in front of the kicker is a very BIG Yellow Flag. Huntington had roughed the kicker. It 1st a goal at the 8 with 8 seconds left. Marc Kimes calls the last timeout and talks the Big Reds Staff into going for the TD instead of retrying the FG. He rolls right and hit Nathan Fields in the front corner of the endzone for a 21-18 win.

2 weeks later the Big Reds win the 1999 AAA State Title over Riverside.

#2) The 2nd best game I watched was the 69-52 1998 AAA Finals were J R House threw for 10 TD's against Morgantown.

Guest BB_TWEEDER

Hurley-Unaka '03. Hurley fell to a early 14-0 defecet. score a touchdown to make it 6-14 at the break. early in the 4th Hurley scores again making it 12-14. Unaka fumbles on next drive, Hurley recovers and scores a touchdown with 2:45 reamaing making it 18-14. Unaka gets the balls fumbles again and Hurley recovers. We try and run the clock, but fumble and Unaka picks the fumble up runs it for a TD making the score 20-14 with 1:40 left. Hurley then on its last drive carries the ball down the field. On 4th-16 Gabriel Hurley throws a strike to Alex Prater who makes a BIG catch and then 3 plays later are in another 4th and long situation. This time with 58 seconds reamaing Hurley throws another stike this time to Matt Hackney for the winner.

Or Hurley-Tug Valley '04. Score 2-6 Tug Valley wins. defensive strugle most of the night, but Tug scores late in the 4th and holds the Rebels for the win.

id have to put the 2 marion,richlands games from my freshmen year (2001) those were some good games, both going down to the wire, sorry marion fans, that was ur last chance a glory with doss and the boys frown.gif

1 of the best experiences I had overall at a high school football game was the bluefield weir '97 semi final game. It was an exceptional game, a beautiful and warm overcast fall afternoon, best football weather, and thor and me had a great time watching from the hill and up in the woods at intermission..

1 of the best played and most entertaining games I've seen was bluefield martinsburg. The game had few mistakes, and had everything, and they had 1 of the most intense bluefield crowds I've seen in many years, and bluefield's victory was a victory that made a big statement about the '04 team.

You could also argue a number of bluefield graham games.

Since I was not able attend last year's Bluefield/Weir game,was recovering from surgery in Winston-Salem.I have to say either the 03 Weir game or the 91 Beaver/Graham game(the espn game for those of you can't remember) won by Bluefield 6-4 on a pass from beaver's 3rd string qb to the 1st string qb. Graham was favored big time but Bluefield's defense played a hell of a game. It set the tone for the rest of Bluefield season.

I'm not positive on the year...but I'm thinkin it was 95 or 96..

Richlands vs. Grundy in the playoffs....Billy Altizer made a TD reception in the final minutes for grundy to win 14-13...

or the State Semi game between Grundy and Salem...went to overtime..Salem won 7-0 and it was an unbelieveable defensive struggle in horrid weather...

many people still contest Scammell scored on 3rd down that day....

both those games were great...the Grundy FC playoff game a couple of years ago was good to...40 points in the 1st Q alone.

I think that Salem game was one of the best...man it was raining like crazy that day...it was like something out of a movie or something.

I think the best last second type situation I have ever seen in a game was the Crigger 2 minute drill...awesome.

the biggest and most emotional that i ever "watched" was the last 2 Bluefield/Weir games (03, 04). the biggest and most emotional games to me, was the '91 and '92 Beaver/Graham game.

I've got two games in mind.

1. In 1998, Richlands lost to Grundy in three overtimes, Grundy was 2-0, Richlands was 0-2. Really good game.

2. Richlands vs. Virginia High in the 87 playoffs, Richlands lost in overtime on a officials call that a Richlands reciever was out of bounds on a touchdown catch, if Richlands would have converted that touchdown with the extra point, they would have won by 1.

[ QUOTE ]

1. In 1998, Richlands lost to Grundy in three overtimes, Grundy was 2-0, Richlands was 0-2. Really good game.

2. Richlands vs. Virginia High in the 87 playoffs, Richlands lost in overtime on a officials call that a Richlands reciever was out of bounds on a touchdown catch, if Richlands would have converted that touchdown with the extra point, they would have won by 1.

[/ QUOTE ]

That Va. High game was a good one. The picture of the Richlands player's foot being inbounds was all over the place.

I enjoyed the Marion-Richlands game during the Blues state championship year that we won on a field goal by Perkins. Everybody left at halftime it seemed.

Some games not mentioned so far...there were many great games that I remember and could write about but these five seem to stand out in my mind...

1997...Gate City vs. Graham...26-20 TRIPLE OVERTIME...Jake Houseright carried Gate City to the win over a very fired up Graham team. GC went on to beat Graham again in the playoffs and won the AA, D-3 Championship.

1981...Tazewell vs. Graham...Region IV Championship...aka. THE SNOW BOWL...Tazewell kicked a FG early in the game to take a 3-0 lead at a very snowy Mitchell Stadium. They held the lead late and looked as if they were going to seal up the victory by pinning Graham deep in there own end. With time winding down, Eddie Neal dropped back and heaved a bomb through the snowy night. Lee Grimes ran under the ball about 40 yards upfield as the Tazewell DB fell to the ground...no one was close to him...TOUCHDOWN Graham...Final Score: Graham 6 Tazewell 3.

1995...Bluefield vs. Graham...The Beavers scored early and often jumping out to a 20-0 lead in the first quarter. The G-Men never quit scoring the games final 26 points to win 26-20.

1995...William Campbell vs. Graham...Undefeated William Campbell stormed into Mitchell Stadium for a State Semi-final showdown with the G-Men. The Generals were averaging over 40 points per game but the G-D stepped up holding William Campbell to a single TD and scoring Graham's only points on an INT return for a TD...Graham 7 William Campbell 6.

1988...Final game of a long regular season for the G-Men. They had struggled to a 2-7 record, scoring only 16 points total in their previous 6 games, and faced the undefeated AA #1 ranked Radford Bobcats at Radford. The Bobcats had embarrassed the G-Men a year earlier on the same field in the playoffs by a score of 42-12. And to be honest, most Graham fans were expecting the same kind of outcome on this night. But the G-Men dug deep and played by far their best game of the season and upset Radford 24-21. That game set the stage for the next two seasons for the G-Men. It also added fuel to fire up one of the best VA AA rivalries in the late 80s and early 90s.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I remember being at that game but it was Richlands that won the game in three overtimes. It was the last time we had won the district since until this year. If I'm not mistaken Adam Collins threw a TD pass to Josh Smeltzer in the 3rd OT and then a deflected pass was intercepted by big John Yost to end the game.

[ QUOTE ]

I think that Salem game was one of the best...man it was raining like crazy that day...it was like something out of a movie or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

I saw every game that season but that one. Oddly enough, I remember listening to it on the radio, the talk of how it was raining in Tazewell...and back near Grundy's field, sunshine and no sight of rain (I lived within a mile of the field).

Odd how things work out, eh?

It definetly has to be the '95 game between Richlands and Grundy. Region Semi's. Crigger connects with Billy Altizer with 3 seconds remaining. Altizer catches the ball as time runs out and puts Grundy with the win...

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I remember being at that game but it was Richlands that won the game in three overtimes. It was the last time we had won the district since until this year. If I'm not mistaken Adam Collins threw a TD pass to Josh Smeltzer in the 3rd OT and then a deflected pass was intercepted by big John Yost to end the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sorry, I had the wrong year. It was my senior year, so it was 1988. We went 3 overtimes with Grundy and lost. Sorry there Biscuit....I didn't realize Richlands had another 3 overtime game with Grundy.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sorry, I had the wrong year. It was my senior year, so it was 1988. We went 3 overtimes with Grundy and lost. Sorry there Biscuit....I didn't realize Richlands had another 3 overtime game with Grundy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure if it was two or three overtime game but either way it was an instant classic and that actually clinched the district title for Richlands that year. Maybe Lance can help us out with some of the details.