05-06 Dawgs

Dawgs_LB_1

The bad part is that we (the taxpayers) have to pay for an extra year of school for each kid that holdsback, that's around $6,000 per kid per year. If they're gonna holdback for atheletic reasons the parents should have to pay for it, I don't want my education money going to buiding some high school powerhouse with 19 year old kids playing 17 and 18 year old kids...........something is just not right about that.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How many of Tazewell's seniors from last year were not holdbacks? Now I can understand holding a kid back in kindergarten or elementary but not 7th or 8th grade to play a sport. I think about 5 of THS's seniors from last year were holdbacks.

unethical???.....thats one of the stupidest things i have ever heard...there are usually fewer than 10 hold backs per school....not enough to burden the taxpayers..and its usually done for the purpose of gaining a scholarship...the v.h.s.l. regulates age.......so whats the problem?

Holding a student back, having him repeat a grade for the sake of a high school football team is what's stupid. It's a game, a school sponsored recreational activity. Holding a player back solely for the purpose of utilizing that player at a later date is appalling.

everyone has their apalling opinion!! lol... Mine is its a matter of choice.. if a kid wants to stay back, and parents are willing.. It should be their choice.. IF i had a kid.. nobody would tell me how to raise mine.. same as i would'nt be telling anyone else how to raise theirs.. then, once again.. how many kids go into college without a clue what they want to major in??? Or even if they do know, after a year they to want to change their major.. An extra year of maturity is good for a kid, whether hes an athlete or just a student! Another plus.. Dads footing the bill for an extra year of what could be the best year of a kids life! Smart kids take advantage of it.. The ones that dont like it are the ones that dont hold back or they have a hold back taking some of his playing time!! This is an old topic and almost every school has a few, boys and girls.. I'll say this a 19 year old is a man compared to a 16 or 17 year old! They have an athletic edge in my opinion, hey, G.C. has it down pat.. along with recruiting TN players!! but anywho.. just my opinion! grin.gif

How is it so unethical? Grundy has their fair share of holdbacks. So tell me how is it unethical when a kid decides to better himself in all sports by holding back a year? It sure helped me both on the field and in the classroom. I was a D student before my holdback year, and then I matured somewhat and realized that I needed to straighten up. Yeah, I'll be 19 in December, but it is a decision that I haven't regretted one bit.....

The key is it was a decision made by you and/or your parents, and it was made because you were a D student, or because you didn't want to graduate at 17. The unethical part is when/if a football coach talks a player and his parents into holding back for the sake of the football team.

Hey, thanks for that information. You will be 19 in December, that means you are now ineligible to play football this year. I am almost positive that the rule is that if you turn 19 before January 1st of your senior year then you are ineligible for that school year. I'll bet you are regretting it now.........

[ QUOTE ]

Hey, thanks for that information. You will be 19 in December, that means you are now ineligible to play football this year. I am almost positive that the rule is that if you turn 19 before January 1st of your senior year then you are ineligible for that school year. I'll bet you are regretting it now.........

[/ QUOTE ]

LoL, your wrong

dont worry bout makeing tazzwell looking bad th soccer coaches son did that for yall. he fliped off th fans so some of carroll my not like him. but th rest off yall r cool with me.

First off, I was wrong about the age limit, so what. Secondly, a member of the Tazewell coaching staff told me about the holdbacks. That is right, one of your coaches. I don't need to make anything up, I got it straight from the horses mouth. I know a little more than you give me credit for...............It's unethical, but if that is the only way you can win, whatever.God help you guys if Graham ever starts doing that.

I think its funny how you're trying to keep in under cover like some big scandal or something. You can call it "hold back gate". Lord help Tazewell if the secret identity of the hold backs ever gets leaked out(sarcasm)! Unethical it may be, but its legal and many schools do it. Like someone else said, Gate City has it down pat lol.