05-06 Dawgs

Dawgs_LB_1

Tazewell is once again being underestimated by everyone in the district. Does anyone realize that they have most of the players from the REGION 4 DIVISION 3 CHAMPIONS back. Let me stress that again B-A-C-K. BACK!!!!! Jarrod Burton, Gavin Angle, and Morgan Lowe are very hungry for a repeat of last year. David "D's Money" Saunders, Drew "Sky" Walker, Justin "the Animal" Wilson, Eric "Enis" McDaniel, the list goes on and on. They tasted state championship blood last year when they battled Gretna and guess what? NOTHING HAS CHANGED. I would not underestimate them this year because it's possible that you may see De'Ja'vu all over again.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[ QUOTE ]

They tasted state championship blood last year when they battled Gretna

[/ QUOTE ]

I love how you consider it a "battle" losing by 4 TDs. The only blood the 'Dawgs tasted that day was their own...

Guest BB_TWEEDER

What names they have. damn I thought calling a guy duck was bad, but p......"enis" haha grin.gif

Ok ok guys.... common we got to give them some credit... They almost had a State Championship game last year! I don't know how many years it has been since that happened... But oh man... Oh and yea some of those names from last year... Wilson, Muncy, and Cleaver... you forgot others! Shea McDonald, Jake Evans... uhhhh yea... Maybe that was it.. haha and the funny thing besides Saunders, and the second Wilson, and Burton, I have never heard of the other guys that were named.... Enis.... crazy.gif not saying anything... and for Dawgs LB.... yea yall are usually underestimated... but ... just because you have a few people back and because you almost made state doesn't mean anything... Look at Graham 2003... We played Gretna like you all did, we lost a couple players and had ALOT back the next year... but then what happened to us last year? Yea... Doesn't mean anything... It just means you better hope the people taking over for the people you lost are good enough to fill in...

[ QUOTE ]

Do you think your 6 holdback sophomores uh I mean freshman can help you guys this year?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was amazed when someone was telling me a couple of months ago that people in Tazewell regularly hold their kids back for athletic purposes, especially baseball players. Something just seems very unethical about that...

Its a fairly common practice in VA Schools. Especially in SWVA. Honaker usually has a couple to hold back every year. Well except in my class. There were 17, yes 17 kids in my class that held back in 8th grade! blush.gif Gate City, Powell Valley, Haysi, and JJ Kelly usually hold back quite often as well.

I don't think I'd wanna hold back either. Unless I was almost for certain I would be playing sports in college. One example I can think of where holding back helped was Tyler Patrick from Honaker. Tyler got pretty darn big and greatly improved his game with an extra year of school under his belt. Also, he missed almost the entire season his junior year with a back injury, if he hadn't held back he would have been sitting out his senior year and might not have gotten a scholarship to JMU. I don't really see anything unethical about holding back. At Honaker, if you hold back, you still have to take most of your 9th grade classes your hold back year in 8th grade, which means by the time you are a senior, with the extra year of taking classes, you will have more room on your schedule for more advanced college level classes. Of course not everyone takes advantage of this, but a lot of the hold backs who are excellent students do and its really a plus having those extra classes. Not to mention you are a little bit more mature. A 19 year old graduating from high school will be a lot more prepared for college than a 17 or 18 year old.

Notice I said it seemed unethical if it was done for athletic reasons, not academic reasons. I've known kids to be held back, but they were held back for academic reasons, not so that can become a better athlete and compete with/against younger kids. If a kid is held back strictly for athletic reasons then that seems unethical to me.

I wouldn't see how you would be playing against younger kids or at least kids where there would be a very large age differnce. If you hold back in 8th grade, that means your 2nd 8th grade year you will be playing on JV against 9th graders your age, 8th graders your age or slightly younger than you and 10th graders. By the time you are a senior, you'll only be 18 because in VA you are too old to play if you turn 19 before August 1st. Most high schoolers are 18 by the time they are seniors any way so there wouldn't much much of an age differnece between a hold back senior and a senior who didn't hold back. I know with all the kids in my class that held back, they were the same age as most of the kids in the grade below them because they were younger when they started school. All the kids in my class that held back were born in '87 and all the kids below them were either born in '87 or '88.

[ QUOTE ]

If a kid is held back strictly for athletic reasons then that seems unethical to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. Not only does it seem unethical, it should be illegal.