• Graham
    • Grundy
    • Richlands
    • Tazewell

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey now, I just put this here because "the 'best of' thread" was turning into a band conversation and those bands are just some that were mentioned...other than Marion, I just threw them in there, they looked pretty good a couple of years ago..lol.

Maybe I should've said best band in SouthwestVirginia or something like that. Sorry about that, but I did put "other" on there.

Nah, Thomas Walker.. grin.gif or better yet Cawood KY. Last time I saw them they had around 10-15 members, and they were in "awe" as we marched by..LOL. The first thing I heard out of one them was, "WOW, look how big they are, and look at their uniforms." First thing that went through my mind was, haven't they ever seen a band before.

OK, if I have to be serious, and be completely truthful..then I will say Richlands is the best. There, I said it, RICHLANDS IS #1. You all just don't know how hard it was to say that.. grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Sorry i started sumtin guys, i just dont like other ppl tellin us that we suck when the facts prove otherwise. Im sorry guys, i really am. frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Nothing wrong with that, I was just curious as to what others had to say. Thought the convo might continue on this.

[ QUOTE ]

Sorry i started sumtin guys, i just dont like other ppl tellin us that we suck when the facts prove otherwise. Im sorry guys, i really am. frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Nothing to be sorry about. Richlands' band doesn't suck. In fact, Richlands and Graham have the two best bands around here. Bluefield's band is pretty good too, but the low number of band members (25-30) in recent years have hurt it.

based on recent years...Graham band is #1 and there is no denying it. sorry richlands but you guys got beat last year.

this year seems down with two pretty queer shows.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nothing to be sorry about. Richlands' band doesn't suck. In fact, Richlands and Graham have the two best bands around here. Bluefield's band is pretty good too, but the low number of band members (25-30) in recent years have hurt it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, thats for sure, they certainly do not suck. Richlands and Graham DO have the best bands, no doubt about it.

Lee just hasn't been "one of the best" lately. They're not at level that they once were. Though, I do think they are trying to be that band they once were again. Lee started practicing a month earlier this year, which is a big suprise taken the attitude of some members while I was in the band, and heard a few say they are looking good so far, but those were parents so...yeah.

I always wondered how Bluefield's band was, considering the success Graham had, I figured they were pretty good too. Thought they would make the trip to Lee the year Bluefield played at Lee. We were going to make the trip up there with a "pep" band but something came up and we didn't get to go.

[ QUOTE ]

based on recent years...Graham band is #1 and there is no denying it. sorry richlands but you guys got beat last year.

this year seems down with two pretty queer shows.

[/ QUOTE ]

Graham @ the 2003 George Wythe Band Festival

(Class AAAA)

2nd Place General Effect

1st Place Drum Major

2nd Place Auxiliaries

Superior Rating

Richlands @ the 2003 George Wythe Band Festival

(Class AAAA)

1st Place Music

1st Place Marching

1st Place General Effect

1st Place Percussion

1st Place Auxiliaries

Superior Rating

1st Place Band Class AAA

Band of the Day Class AAA & AAAA

Graham @ the 2004 George Wythe Band Festival

(Class AAAA)

2nd Place Auxiliaries

2nd Place Percussion

2nd Place Music

2nd Place General Effect

Superior Rating

2nd Place Band Class AAAA

Richlands didn't attend the 2004 George Wythe Band Festival.

well geez..im happy for you guys

but..what did you get at the state festival

what did we get..?

i think you left something off.

you dont have a good argument.

blush.gif

My argument was "based on recent years"

I'm not in the band and I didn't attend the state festival last year. If my understanding is correct, the state festival is a competition only against yourself and not against other bands. Also from my understanding, Richlands had the appropriate score from ALL but one of the judges. Since I wasn't there I won't speculate on why one judge was different from ALL the rest.

It's not worth arguing about anyway. Both schools have excellent bands.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually one band is excellent

another..is superior

Just wait untill the Tazewell competition. Then we can see who the best band is. And by the way, in "recent years", as in the past three, Richlands has taken 1st in nearly every award in our class.

Tazewell Competition is rigged..that easy...Graham hasnt won it in a while although they have had the better show...WITHOUT using a microphone to talk....or up until last year props...but we have had the better show for the past 5 years probably...still goin to...but maybe i should stop arguing cause up until last year band is ALL THAT YOU HAD....

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually one band is excellent

another..is superior

[/ QUOTE ]

HAHA-WOOOOOW, Someone pour some water on this kid, he just burnt Richlands Superior Band! smirk.gif

Yeah... ok... the Tazewell competition is rigged... good excuse. What about the Wytheville competition that we swept two years ago and the year before that? Was that rigged too? And whats wrong with using a microphone or props? It's called General Effect. It's a show, anyway... meant to entertain. Go to a Bands of America competition. Every band there uses props or speach. The shows that we've had for the past two years(both of them using mics and props) have come from a BOA band. Sorry if the Graham band is still marching in 1970, but that's no excuse for 2nd place in GE for the past 3 years... probably more years than that... but I've only been in band for the past 3 years... and we've swept you every year. Richlands hasn't won because of props anyway... that's why we also beat you in marching, music, percussion, and auxillary for the past 3 years.

And the reason Richlands got a 2 last year at state was because of a b.s. scoring system and cause of b.s. judges. The State Marching Chairman(the man who is in charge of all the state marching comeptitions) was there and said we were undoubtedly the best band there. The results state were the reason that the new scoring system was thrown out the door.

Just wait untill Tazewell... you can say it's rigged... but I guarantee Graham will be put in they're place for the 4th time in a row.

I agree with him! If you look at the facts, we have beat graham in almost every comp. in the last god knows how many years.

Where has Graham been 2 4 big comps? We went 2 JMU 2 yrs ago and we got 2nd there with some AWESOME bands! We went 2 App. State last year and swept EVERYTHING there. We r goin 2 Lynchberg and possibly Knoxville this year. Where r you guys goin?

Jordan is right, the B.S. judge was Dobbyns-Bennet's Band Director. And by the way, we go up aginst them every year and they r unbeliveable! They have more members than Rlands and Graham combined and we beat them!

you have turned MARCHING BAND into some sorta play with sideshows and all....whatever happened to the days of just playing music and marching...not runnin around or having a narrator....it just completely defeats the purpose of a MARCHING BAND...nothing wrong with props cause we use them....im just saying....narrators??? those are for plays not bands...

our band down here in carroll durring two a days had a "Camp" that was from 9 am to 9 pm. so yall have to say band works hard in what they do. but for the most part they could use improvment in there social life. lol jk grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

you have turned MARCHING BAND into some sorta play with sideshows and all....whatever happened to the days of just playing music and marching...not runnin around or having a narrator....it just completely defeats the purpose of a MARCHING BAND...nothing wrong with props cause we use them....im just saying....narrators??? those are for plays not bands...

[/ QUOTE ]

So your saying it's ok to have exploding pirate ships but no narration?