sandman

Offensive Line  

1. 1. Offensive Line

• Carroll County
    • Graham
    • Grundy
    • Richlands
    • Tazewell

WE GOT A 2 AT STATE BECAUSE A BS JUDGE HATED US AND SABOTAGED OUR RATING ON PURPOSE! THE CHAIRMAN OF STATE SAID WE HAD THE BEST BAND THERE, BETTER THAN YOURS, PULASKIS' AND NE OTHERS! OH AND BY THE WAY, OUR SHOW THIS YEAR DOSNT HAVE NARRATION WE HAVE A BAND MEMBER TO DO THAT NOT A RECORDING!

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Richlands has the best band around here.

We'll be real good this year. Not saying we aren't. We ain't what we were back in the early 90s but we're getting rid of the individual mistakes.

[ QUOTE ]

People..... Why does it matter who has the best band?

[/ QUOTE ]

Egad, man. How else are we to gauge our self-worth if not through discussions such as these?

Personally, I've just been holding back in anticipation of the thread entitled "Which school has the best English department?"

<font color="blue">Ours is a show that has never been performed befor around here and it is titled... "Echos From Victory Lane", its a nascar themed show. We have wooden race cars with 25 ft. flags behind them and the band is wearin a rece suit instead of our regular band uniform. And GHS is right the Graham-Richlands band rivaly is about as big as the Battle For The Black Diamond Trophy. We absolutly hate each other! </font>

RHS's shows sounds awesome this year. I can't wait to see it! I enjoy seeing it for the first time. I have to agree with the person that said the narrating takes away from your show. I think that Richland's has a great band and I love the props that you have but I would prefer to hear the music; not a narrator. My favorite show was 3 years ago when you had the screens and the drummers were behind them so it looked like "hands only" playing the drums. After that, your shows kind of went down hill. It wasn't really the member's fault, it's just hard to top a good show. Graham will have that problem this year. Their show was awesome last year and it will be hard to live up to expectations. Graham does seem to get a bad rating every year at Tazewell (maybe because they don't want to go but the principle makes them because it's in the "county"). I think Richland's reputation of being good helps them get better ratings too. I've been at these competitions that Richlands outscored Graham and some of them seemed WRONG (but I've been there when I thought Richlands deserved the top rating). And to the point about state competition being only against yourself, if you can't score the best then, what's the point? (And since you complained about Graham people yelling Tazewell was rigged, I was shocked that you turned right around and sound a "judge had it out for you" at state. - Practice what you preach, take the #2 and quit whining!)

[ QUOTE ]

And to the point about state competition being only against yourself, if you can't score the best then, what's the point?

[/ QUOTE ]

What I meant by that is it isn't a competition where someone is 1st, 2nd, 3rd and so on with trophies or whatever. The bands are not in competion with each other.

Tazewell rigged? I have no idea. I do know that Richlands also goes only because the have to. As far as the DB judge giving Richlands a 2 when all the others gave them a 1, and the chairman himself saying they were shafted...could be somthing to that IMO. Especially if that judge had an axe to grind.

As far as the shows going down hill and winning on reputation alone? I went to the competion at JMU 2 years ago where Richlands competed against bands from at least 3 states and got the loudest, longest standing ovation of the day. Richlands was the only band there this side of Roanoke and none of those people had ever heard of them, so it wasn't because of reputation. There was a group of JMU students sitting near me who went down to the front so the band could see them applaud as the left the field. They took 2nd overall that day which was awesome considering the level of competition.

As for graham, they also have a great band. I saw your show three times last year and thought it was great. I think the rivalry between the two bands makes both better.