WHO's the best RB in swva history

bcbbears

I'll give ya several from my knowledge

Ed Clark "the Stonega Stallion" Appalachia 66-69

Jeff Baker GC mid 60's set several state records went to GaTech.

Phil Rogers GC 68-71 VaTech

John McFall Clintwood mid 70's heyday

Mickey Rogers GC 72-74

Thomas Jones PV (UVA and NFL Card's and Bears)

Julius Jones PV (ND and Cowboys)

Jake Houseright GC 94-97 Awesome senior year

*These are the best i've seen/heard of from our area. I saw them all, but was too young to remember Baker and Clark...just stories about them. Saw McFall he was a horse (strong) Phil was Vt's #2 leading rusher behind some Barber dude wink.gifand he was an option QB. The Jones boys/men need no introduction, and Jake was solely responsible (almost) for GC's 97 state title.

I haven't really heard of any of those guys until you get down to the jones's

i remember watcing jake housewright single-handedly putting graham out of the playoffs down in Gate City

I also think that there are definitely two different stereo types of runners.. you've got A- Power , or B- Speed

So when you get Housewright, who is a powerback w/ some good speed, he will be a factor... or when you get Ahmad, with lots of speed and a good amount of power too, he's also going to be a factor..

Yeah there's a ton i left off...

I didn't see Bradshaw play (wish i did) Jeremy McCommons from Richlands was very good, Brandon Breeding, Graham has had several. Tyrone Mitchell Sr. from VaHigh was good back in my day (GC had his number grin.gif) GC has had several others...Rusty Pendleton pure power runner, Bobby Seaver had great moves and was silky smooth, Tim Blankenbeckler was a good FB. PV had the Jackson gang. Lee High had several in the late 80's /early 90's (don't know what the heck happened to their program) Mark Webb PH was as strong a runner as you'll ever see (played NG at VT)

I kept up with him and watched the films you guys had on this board....extremely impressed.

I still think Marshall U. has people stationed in C'ville and B'burg and they hand out pot and beer to under age recruits so they can get them up at the U. crazy.gif

(just kidding guys! Jokey jokey...don't come and set my couch on fire! grin.gif)

i don't care who ya are...... cool.gif

Here's some stats on some of the GC guys i mentioned

Jeff baker played FB/LB from 1965-67 he only played in one losing game (14-7 to Appy and Ed Clark)69TDs and 30xps for 444pts in 30 games. No playoffs. He played on the 1965 team which allowed only 6 points in 10 games. 4 td's in a game 5 times. scored 189 pts in 1967 in only 10 games.

Phil Rogers was the "star" of the 1970 state Championship team when GC beat previously unscored upon James Monroe 40-8. He returned the opening kickoff 90+yds for a td (still a AA state finals record)and he scored 420 career points. Scored 5 td's once and 4 four times. He scored a Gc record 208 points in 1970 in 13 games, helping GC outscore opponents 506-56.

Mickey Rogers was the "star" of GC's 73and 74 teams scoring 414 points in 3 yr career. He ran for 295 yds in 15 carries against Graham in 73 and topped that with a 299 yds on 14 carry performance against Amherst (still AA record for best average per carry and 5td's) in the 1974 semi-final game (71-18)leading GC to their second state title the next week against Southampton. Gc outscored opponents 687-130 that year.He scored 5 td's once and 4 td's five times.

Guest BB_TWEEDER

Greg Tester Should be on this list somewhere. He is one of the few who actually ran a 4.4 40 in the day.

Many have come and gone in the history of the LPD as far as great RB's are concerned. The name Ed Clark caught my eye and brought back a memory of what I saw on an old reel to reel film of him playing in a highschool football game. Though I had meet clark in person when I was younger, I never saw him play in person other than the film I saw of him. He ran with a smoothness and speed that was unmatched in his time. In the film, he dodged and weaved, but ran over whom was unfortunate to get or stay in his way. Those who played with, or against him still talks of the great " Stonega Stallion" and how he was for sure a stand out as one of if not the best in his era. Ed Clark "Stonega Stallion", the uncle of Thomas and Julius Jones, drowned several years ago trying to save two young children in despair.

One guy from Lebanon in the early 90's was Nathan McGlothlin. Some of you may remember him. Almost led Lebanon to state championship but was stopped on a 2 pt conversion against Thomas Jones and Powell Valley to end the game. He went on to be the starting back at Princeton. Done well. Also from Lebanon two that were very good were Eric Buchannan and Eric Meadows. They were both awesome.