I'm going to have to......

MavsRock

start placing my predictions early in the week. I just happened to notice that I missed a great trash talking session with someone who's trying to make his whole program look bad. I spoke with alot of Weir fans at that game, and they were a pretty classy bunch, and it's hard for me to say that for a team who was putting JM through judgement day.

All I can say is that Jack Crow and Zach Cooper aren't coming back, and Sperrlaza can't win the title by himself, that's not to say that Weir isn't a very powerfull team this year, but if JM and Weir play eachother this year, I don't think that Weir will have it quite so easily. You have to remember that due to some embarrassing off the field issues, JM was starting several sophomores, and even freshman in the secondary. Don't look for anything like that to happen this year.

Whoever this "Weir fan" is, if you pay attention to my predictions, you'll notice that I haven't been to far off on most of my predictions so far. Heck, I wouldn't mind seeing James Monroe in the playoffs this year. It'll be interesting to see if Weir's coaches can top the brillant pass play that they called with about 2:30 to go at Bluefield last November tongue.gif. And you call our offense ridiculous

First of all, if your school has never won a state title, you can't talk. The JM fans thought the Mavericks would destroy Weir, but the game was over by halftime b/c James Monroe is not a good program. They play a weak schedule and their ego gets inflated and then they get a reality check when they play a real opponent in the playoffs. Keep thinking Coop and Crow were the whole team last season and you will be in for a rude awakening. Josh Smith ran for over 100 yards along w/ Cooper running for 150 yards on a great Bluefield defense and although Cooper is lost to graduation, Smith is not. Dawand Smith will be one of the best WR's in the state this year and he returns. Weir returns around half of their O and D linemen. Don't forget about Jason Gatto who caught Spaz's 8th TD pass against your sorry defense last year. You also forget Corey Lyons would have been one of Weir's RB's last season but was ineligible and didn't play. He's back this season and will help Weir's rushing attack out a lot. The talent is there and now w/ the addition of new Head Coach Eric Meek, Weir is going to make a run at the title. Just hope you don't have to meet the Red Riders again b/c no matter what you say, the outcome will be the same! When your program gets on the level of Bluefield, Poca, or Weir then come talk to me!!!

as bad as i hate to agree with Weir...i do..JM just doesnt play the level of competition and is not on the same page with some of the AA elite...maybe some day but just not right now

I like it when someone from Weir tries to tell me what I was thinking. You like to try and associate yourself with Bluefield. The only thing you have in commen with Bluefield is, for the last two years they have sent you home.

To say someone plays a weak schedule is stupid. Everyone plays a weak schedule at times. All teams have thier down years. As for JM's program, I think we have a good foootball program. As for what you think about it, I could care less.........

No, I have some friends from Bluefield and they all agree that you're program is a joke, plain and simple. You have never won a state championship. Weir and Bluefield have had some classic battles the past two years. The only battle JM had was to get out of the locker room first at halftime so they wouldn't have to go through another half of embarrassment. Weir could have put up 100+ if they wanted to. Weir High has won 6 state titles, 5 in AAA and are coming off two great seasons, so yeah I can say Weir and Bluefield are two of the elite AA programs along w/ Poca. Bring that sorry excuse for a football team to Weirton this year and the Red Riders will pick up where they left off, and I can guarantee that!!!

i am not from the jm area but from the blfd va area. i have seen teams have good years and bad years. first look at how long has the bluefield and weir highschools football programs and schools been around beaver for many a year. because i think they have been playing graham from blfd since 1911. now i dont know how long weir high has been around but i would say a while for them to have been a 3 a program. so if you were that size why not play up in class to play the big schools all the time. as for jm how long have they been around not long. and it can take years to build a good program from consolidation of 2 highschools that were big rivals over the years and to get the kids to buy into your program. maybe jm is not up to your standards but i would say that you are not up to some other schools standards. they are a good program with a ways to go to build a tradition of the likes of beaver. shoot look at graham high across the border from beaver. for many a year they did not have a good football program nor a tradition then came one of the best coaches in the two virginias in glenn carlock and look at what he did for graham. he got the kids to buy into his style of football and built a winning tradition and pride in graham high football. so give jm credit they are a young program as far as in time but given time they will be a very good football team and one day you will be setting here saying what hit us tonight when jm does get to that point in their program where they believe just like beaver. that idea can carry a team to many victories that maybe another team would not win. it has for beaver because they really do believe that they are going to win every time they set foot on the field. and that is called tradition. so jm will build that tradition over time and will be a good football program and then some will have to watch out. and as far as not playing anyone again look at beaver. this program is storried around the state of wv. and teams are afraid to play them one reason they only had eight games until they and graham agreed on a game 2. sometimes when you are as good a beaver is you find it harder and harder to play the good teams and have to play whoever will play you. maybe jm is playing the teams that will play them maybe some schools will not because they worry about that program and how good it is becoming gradually. so give the kids credit they are getting there.

That's not the point. They talk like they are an elite team in the state. Weir was AAA until their enrollment started declining and 1995 was their first year in AA. They won many titles(5) in AAA and even won back to back titles in 60 and 61. JM just doesn't have the athletes to play w/ the top teams in AA. They play a weak schedule which gets them into the playoffs and almost every time they get embarrassed. I had no problem w/ their team until I got down to the stadium and had to listen to their arrogant fans. They were quiet after two state records fell right before their eyes. Weir was just that much better than JM and they will be this year again, deal w/ it. Bluefield, Poca, and Weir are IMO the top 3 PROGRAMS in AA. They might have down years, but they always reload eventually. If JM wins a state title, then they can talk. And to talk about a school that consolidates getting used to a new system and all doesn't necessarily mean they won't be a good team. Take Riverside, they went to the state finals their first year in existence and have made numerous trips deep into the playoffs since then. If JM is 9-0 going into the Bluefield game, you better believe they won't be undefeated after no matter how down Bluefield is this year. I honestly hope that JM plays Weir again b/c the Red Riders will hang 60+ on them again and have their 3rd team in by the start of the 4th quarter. I don't like Bluefield but I respect their program and their fans. Respect is earned, and honestly JM has done nothing to earn that respect!!!

[ QUOTE ]

JM beat Bluefield 30-7 in regular season play, then we got beat by Bluefield 3-0 in the playoffs.

[/ QUOTE ]

i remember this game, probably some of the worst conditions, field wise, weather wise, and everything a game could ask for

just an unreal atmosphere and game all together

We've been a school for 11 years now and been to the playoffs 8 times. You can holler about our schedule all you want. We play who we can get. We went all the way to point pleasant last year just to get a 10th game. Of our 8 playoff teams, 3 of them were true state title contenders. Ben Thornton's jr year we lost to dupont in the semi-finals in a very close game and they went on to lose to Weir in a close championship game. Ben's sr year we lost to Wyoming East in the semi's by a td. They went on to crush Bluefield in the championship. Nick Newberrys sr year we lost to Bluefield 3-0 in the playoffs and they went on to lose a close championship game to Poca. So for you to call our program a joke just shows how little you know about football! Do we have a state title to show for it? No we don't but that doesn't change the fact that out of 11 years of being a school we've had 3 teams that were just as good as any AA team in the state. I wouldn't talk about being arrogant if I was you. It's because of your stupid arrogant coaches last year that Weir doesn't have another title.

i personally would love to see WS play more of a tougher football schedule and even more of the "coalfield conference" teams too

i wouldnt mind seeing WS/JM face off in football (seeing how we are starting it in basketball, would be cool)

i would like to see WS/Shady play each other in the regular season, and even WS/Bluefield and Ws/MV, i dont care that we would get thrashed, just to have the "experience"!

i would like to see a WS schedule that featured

Scott, Iaeger, JM, Shady, MV, Gilbert, Liberty ®, Bluefield, Man, and Wyo. East

that would be a nice looking schedule to me!

it sounds like you also are arogant to there is nothing wrong with a team thinking and talking about being good. that is confidence and that is what is needed on a team. to believe that you are the best. as far as fans i dare to say that weir has their share of fans just like that. but you choose to believe that you have the perfect fans well i got news for you you have fans just like those you are talking about and then to say that you will hang 60 plus on jm do not count your chickens until they hatch because on any given night anyone can be beaten and look at the size of riverside and they still get beat by teams not as good as them. but you are one that thinks you are better than others well i am not in wv but from reading your post i have no respect for you. i live in blfd va and know the beavers and they are a good team and if you ask them they will probably say that they have fans that are just like you arogant. and so does graham high in blfd va. all schools do so you are no better than jm because you come on here bragging on how good you are. well the mighty will fall. i would be careful what you ask for you just might get it and more. do not underestimate the mavs. and last year poca was not a top team and this year blfd is not. and i dont think that you are either. there are other teams better just like mountview golden nights i think that they are better than you. but that is my opinion and i do not have a interest in wv playoffs except for westside. but i do not like it when someone comes on and procedes to knock a program that is starting to get better each year. i bet that weir was not great like you seem to think when they first opened up. and i wonder why you dont play up in teams. and if blfd wier and poca are the best in 2 a then you must not play good teams either to get into the playoffs

i would like to see westside play the team that beaver plays each year from va the graham gmen. this is a team that would make your program better because you would see how hard they hit and what it takes to win your team is on the right track just need more conditioning. just like graham does. that is why in their last game the other team was cramping and it was their home game and graham was just as fresh at the end as the start. you should tell your coach to talk to graham and see if a game can be aranged next year or so.

this could be a rivalry just like the graham bluefield one.

ws has a good team just need to improve on a few things but you will do good no doubt about it in my book

This is our last year with Pt. Pleasant. So maybe we will get to play you guys in football. I heard we are trying to get Westside,Mt. View or Iaeger to take the place of Pt. Pleasant

I don't think Westside is on James Monroe's level yet, or even close really. The Mavs destroy the teams that they should, whereas Westside loses to those teams (see Liberty) or allows them to play close (see Gilbert). The Mavs lack the athletes that the elite possess, while Westside lacks those same athletes and the toughness (both mental and physical) that JM has.

I appreciate all the input on the subject. I enjoy a good discussion. I know we have some arrogant fans, I also know Weir and every other team have some too. I told my friends that Weir would beat us. I knew we had no pass defense. I also said that Weir would give Bluefield a good game, but that Bluefield would win. BR and I have had some hot discussions, but I don't think he has ever put out program down. I guess that's the difference between Bluefield and Weir. I think it's called respect. I hope this will be the end of this thread. If we ever play Weir again, I wish you all good luck.....

I'll say what I want b/c JM was the #4 team in the state and Weir was #5 and the game was never in doubt from the first play. Weir has a certain attitude and they had that confidence as soon as they walked off the bus. And to say that Weir doesn't play anyone is a joke. Last season Weir played A state champs Wheeling Central(w/ an enrollment of 450+ they should be AA), OH playoff qualifier Indian Creek, Brooke(AAA), John Marshall(AAA), a tough Riverview OH team, and I could go on. All the teams I just mentioned would have beaten JM. The OVAC is a tough conference in every class(A-AAAA). I respected JM until the game and their fans were so arrogant. Sure I have a right to be arrogant. I mean come on now, if Weir beat you guys that bad how can you talk? ghs73, how would you know if Weir was a top team in AA this season. They were the ONLY team to play Bluefield close last year, and most people, including me, know they should have won that game but it's over and this season is here. Honestly, if you beat Weir then you can talk but until then you can't. I also said that teams have down years, but if you have a good program, you reload quickly which is what Bluefield will do. Bluefield fans can't stand the people from JM. I mean it's pretty sad when you're so jealous of their program that you have to come all the way to the Bluefield to the Weir playoff game, sit in the Weir section(the same fans that were talking smack on Weir), and root against Bluefield. Again respect is not given, so beat a quality opponent and it will be earnred!!!

Wrong again...Bluefield 17--Mt. View 14...

You have a right to be arrogant? lol

Sounds like to me you need to grow up. I think we've read enough of your arrogance.

Just let it go, you're only making yourself look foolish.

i like your talk BR

you saying you believe WS could be in the right direction by saying "yet"???

if so, i wanna say im honored by such a comment from a guy whose opinions i hold high!

BUT even what you say may be truth BR, and even though i hold your opinions high, i still believe the addition of teams like JM among others would improve WS's athlete's and toughness

maybe i'm wrong though?

now i can agree with the comment on Liberty ®, no excuses for that lost, although it seems as if WS is a completely different team with there starting FB Rolo Lusk in there (look at Gilbert) than when he wasnt (look at Liberty), kinda like the difference in Bluefield with there QB (see Graham) and then without (see Princeton)

i'm not saying WS is as good as Blfd. but am saying that just as there is a difference for you guys when one member is out, so it is for us

and on the comment about Gilbert, how is a 20pt victory considered close confused.gif

as for the comment about playing Graham, i wouldnt mind playing them either!

WS played them one yr in basketball, lost by 5-10 at Graham, but kept it pretty close, none the less, and then lost by 1pt on a last second 3pt shot made at the top of the key, by Bradshaw

i wouldnt mind see them back on WS's basketball skd. either!

as well as the addition of Bluefield in the regular season would be sweet

i know this is the "football" forum, but there is a rumor around WS that not this coming season, but next season WS is dropping a few teams and will pick up a game with Bluefield and a game with AAA Beckley

very interesting news!