Graham....

ghs84

Actually G-Man, the Richmond schools playing up or down has no effect on where other schools are classified. They've split into thirds for at least the last two R&R's. If the Richmond AA schools want to play up, then there will just be more schools in AAA than the other classifications. That's the way it is now, as there are 124 in AAA, 89 in AA, and 83 in A.

Yes, but what he is saying is there will be NO playing up or down, you are where you are. And truthfully, that is the true problem right now. All those schools play up, someone gets to come down and we have huge differences in enrollment at the state level. This may be the smartest thing they have ever done. I am amazed they never did this years ago.

"All those schools play up, someone gets to come down and we have huge differences in enrollment at the state level."

That is not true. No one is allowed to play down. That is why you have 35-40 more schools in AAA than the other two classes.

[ QUOTE ]

The big loser is Richlands who will be forced to play in the highlands, but at least they get the district title for the forseeable future.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Tazewell County School Board could redraw the attendance zone lines to equalize the numbers between Richlands and the rest of the county a bit. But that would be a short-term fix at best, and would be something that constantly had to be maintained and revisited.

Looks like the longstanding relationship between Richlands, Tazewell, and Graham definitely does have a shelf life, which is a shame.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

The big loser is Richlands who will be forced to play in the highlands, but at least they get the district title for the forseeable future.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Tazewell County School Board could redraw the attendance zone lines to equalize the numbers between Richlands and the rest of the county a bit. But that would be a short-term fix at best, and would be something that constantly had to be maintained and revisited.

Looks like the longstanding relationship between Richlands, Tazewell, and Graham definitely does have a shelf life, which is a shame.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that relationship will continue...only it will be a "non-district" relationship more than likely...

As for carroll county they would most likly go with richlands into the highlands and that would make the highlands district look like this richlands, carroll county, marion, abingdon, and lee county. at least with richlands and carroll county added to the highlands it will give that district a little more respect. and i would love to see graham and tazwell go in to the hogo with george wythe and rr that would make it one of if not the best single a district in the state

Here's how I bet Region D would be aligned if the SWD schools were forced to play down:

New District (Clinch Valley maybe?)

Honaker Lebanon Grundy Graham Tazewell and possibly VHS

BDD - Haysi Council Twin Valley Hurley Ervinton and try to get Clintwood into the district

Cumberland no new schools

LPD remain the same

When this happens how will this affect scheduling for the teams that will remain AA like richlands will they play A schools?Such as graham,tazewell,grundy especially if these A schools happen to beat these AA teams wouldnt it hurt them as far as playoffs and points go I know they are going to schedule some but doesnt traveling long distances come into the picture.Pulaski isnt that far and if you travel to pulaski blacksburg isnt that much further 25 miles or so and then youve got salem which is about 40 miles from pulaski so this could open up new things for area teams.Just wandering anyone have any thoughts on this?

I like this schedule for graham i think this would be a fantastic schedule.

Bluefield

Richlands

Tazewell

Grundy

Gate City

Powell Valley

George Wythe

Rural Retreat

Giles

Honaker

I dont expect it to be this but i like it.Maybe mix it up with some WV teams .What would you like youre teams schedule to look like?

I think some of you people are over reacting to this!! These talks come up every year at this time about the same thing and nothing has changed. Yes it will but gezzs just wait till it does, we will probally not like it anyway that they go but hell as long as we got football to watch WHO CARES!!!!!

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that relationship will continue...only it will be a "non-district" relationship more than likely...

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure that you are correct. Still sad that we won't be in the same district together. I stand to be corrected, but I believe these three schools have been grouped together for as long as Virginia has had organized competition.

[ QUOTE ]

"All those schools play up, someone gets to come down and we have huge differences in enrollment at the state level."

That is not true. No one is allowed to play down. That is why you have 35-40 more schools in AAA than the other two classes.

[/ QUOTE ]

In one way you are right, but in another you are wrong. According to the straight numbers, Pulaski County for example would be the 5th smallest AAA in VA right now, if not for all the schools playing up in class. This is a problem around the Richmond area with schools choosing to play up in class so they won't have to drive a half hour to a football game. No one actually plays down, it is a problem with playing up, and the bottom schools in the higher classification get to drop if they choose. And before you jump me, Graham is guilty also of playing up, which is where we have always have played. We play up, and someone gets to play down. That is a fact, and the system is messed up, and it is no one's fault. But it needs to be fixed, and the only way you are going to have that happen is to make the member schools do this because no one can agree on how to fix the problem.

Again, no one gets the choice of playing down just because a bunch of schools in Richmond choose to play up. The schools are split into thirds and those that choose to play up do so. That's it.

The numbers you are using from March 2005, were not the numbers used to classify schools for the 2005-06 and 2006-07 seasons. The current setup was voted on and approved September of 2004 using the March 2004 ADM's. In those numbers PCHS was the 103rd largest school which made them the 4th largest AA school.

I wouldn't be surprised if we end up back in AAA because of all the new schools that have opened and will open in the next few years. Most have opened with fewer students than PC and the schools they took students from also drop in enrollment. A 4A system would suit PC better but there are many others that would be worse off in that situation. At least in a 4A system we would be firmly 3A and wouldn't be right on the cut off, switching classifications every other R&R.