Seasons end

Lance

Well...tomorrow is the last Grundy game...and closes out a long year for Grundy fans. Just wanted to take a min to say thanks to the regular crew i enjoyed spending time at the games with...always good to see you guys...and you know who you are...so, no names needed.

Tomorrow's game is going to be hard to watch...Grundy's lost about 7 or 8 starters on both sides of the ball over the past two or three weeks for various reasons...but those who remain...i wish you guys the best of luck...i don't really know what to expect when the clock starts tomorrow...but i hope that you guys can somehow find a way to win.

Close the books on Garon at 3,903 yards rushing over the past 4 years. It's a shame the only game he'll have to ever miss will be his last. It's been a great ride and a lot of good times over the years.

Theo, Tigh, Baker, Mark, and the rest of the SR's...good luck to you guys and thanks for the memories...you guys were a great bunch.

I'll be at the game tomorrow night, wouldn't miss it for the world...as bad as things have been this year...still have to go pull for the old team.

See you at the game. frown.gif

I thought that grundy had a pretty good team this year, i know we beat them. But that was just as the "Bluefield Daily Telegraph" explained it as a "FireWorks" show..

Is marcum going to a big college or what? i really havent learned much about any other team this season other than bluefield and graham..

Lance Ill be there too...Man I hope Garon could play.

Ive enjoyed so much watching him and his brother also

go to war since there middle school days...These seniors you mentioned especially Mark Vandyke,Garon Marcum,they have

really extended a lot of friendship and comrodery to the younger kids in the middle school program by doing that they have instilled a fire that will burn bright for seasons to come Lance...Some of these kids I see daily and man they are sad that theses seniors wont be there next year when it will be there turn to put on the varsity jersey.

I love these kids there warriors no matter what the record

be there winners...I hope they go out on a great note, good luck guys....GO WAVE

you look at it on the surface...a Haysi team that is one of the best in the area on defense...doesn't like Grundy to begin with, still pissed off about the last game they played and wouldn't even schedule Grundy until they couldn't find another game...now...Grundy who's beaten down and injured worse than anyone can ever remember a team being...reduced to basically a JV team at this point...it will be interesting to see what happens...you look at it and think Grundy is just going to get killed...but i'm hoping for an "any given friday night" kinda thing...just hope they can pull off a miracle and take that in to next season as a positive experience.

This was my Freshman year of football for Grundy, tough at times, awesome at others, but everybit of it has been emotional...i really dont know what next year will be like with out Garon and Marks speeches before the game...im proud to say that i stuck out this year when a lot of them were beggin us to quit with them (wont mention any names) because this was a rough season..you gotta have Heart you could have all the athletic ability in the world...like Garon...or you could have the Biggest Heart in the world Like Mark VanDyke....ill miss you boys its been a hell of a ride as a freshman ..GO WAVE!

well spoken Jordan, and I need to thank you too for the way you pulled for you team mates that are coming up...

Lance, buddy, you cant put a gauge on heart and emotion and ill gaurentee we"ll have a lot of both tomorrow night...I know you want them to win this as bad I do..

GO WAVE.........

Thanks for the great comments, that is exactly the kind of fans we all need to be for our teams. It is so easy to pull for the team when things are going good. The sign of the true fan is when they stay until the end of a tough loss, and are there for the team during a bad season.

Josh McCowan and probably Josh Ratliff and maybe Josh Lindsey or maybe even Kevin Vandyke...could be anyone back there...whoever isn't hurt and can run half way fast?

I don't think you realize just how "depleted" Grundy is right now.

I would like to get on here and run my mouth but im not going to I know what its like to have a bad season and its rough espicially for a good program. The fans should be proud of the players who are still playing. Hope no one gets hurt.

See all of the wave fans at the game.

got to give a big shout out to you guys who perservered thru one of the most frustrating seasons for that program in years. things will get better for those of you coming back. for you seniors who are leaving take pride in the backbone and character that you have shown.

wow...what a night...just glad it's finally over.

One thing I saw tonight...Kevin Vandyke IS Garon's replacement...maybe they'll figure out to get him the ball before the season starts next year...that kid can fly and has some moves...and he's young...he'll be a good one if given the chance...a little small, if he gets in the weight room he'll beef up some.

McCowan...fumbled about 3 times and runs straight up, he's a receiver, not an RB and more so an LB or DB on the other side...Josh Ratliff ran the ball hard, he's slow but sure handed...if they can work on his speed and get him in the weight room he'll make a nice FB and LB next year...needs to put on about 15 pounds of muscle to help himself out some with that.

The line...well i've given the line a lot of criticism over the season, and to be honest, I didn't even stretch the truth once...you guys really were not playing up to your ability all of the time and it drove me nuts...but, you guys stuck it out all season and I respect those of you that did finish it off a lot...most of you will be back next year and people like Josh Lee, Holden Raines, and Andy Stiltner will all have another shot at it...and if you guys get in the gym and hit it hard this off season, you'll be ready for next year...I really don't think that happened this year...but, it was a learning experience for everyone I'm sure...you 3 guys could be all state if you work for it...you have shown that sort of potential at times this year...best of luck to you guys.

Grundy has some good kids on the way up...but someone will have to step up and be a true leader...and that someone can't just be a lineman or a skill position player...he'll have to lead by example and be a headhunter...if it's a lineman, when he pulls he'll have to find someone to hit and kill on every play...not just someone who thinks they are tuff and likes to yell a lot...that's what they were missing all year...there was not really a true leader on the field this year...I guess this year was more of a transition....the last of the old 2002 Region IV champs are now gone...probably be some coaching changes in the off season...I guess for all the success they have had over the past couple of years, it was just hard to watch them struggle and not really be able to help out or do anything about it...esp. with the group of SR's they had this year...it was really the last of what I think are 2 of Grundy's best teams of all time...just a great group of guys.

So whatever happens from here, just wanted to say a big thank you to Coach Rowe and Coach Compton in particular for everything they've done together over the past 18 or 19 seasons...it's been one hell of a run.

So..that's it...turn out the lights.

I think Vandyke is gonna be a good back too Lance...McCowan is gonna get better aand Ratliff too...Who do you see coming up that can help and at what postitons...

Damn it was hard to set there and see Marcum in street cloths,He coulda run wild on that bunch...but thats the nature of the beast I guess...Thanks to all you seniors who stuck it out nad especially you underclassman...

You know I watched an interview of Joe Paterno and he said it best when he had his first losing seaon...

"aint gonna say wait till next year,or that we"ll get even,but we will work and get better"..Lance, we will work and we will get better....Love all you guys....

i thinkn u left some guys out like JIMMY ASHBEY...DEMARCO OWENS.come on this to has helped the team out a whole lot..and there is so many other's that helped to congrats to the whole team

well i was mainly speaking about the SR's and then we were talking about the younger guys...Demarco had a great year I thought...really improved from the early part of the season to a good hitter at the end of the year...i hope he hits the weight room hard in the off season.

Ashby...man i like the kid...he's fast, got great potential, has great height, everything you look for in a WR...but, he's still got a long way to go...he missed more passes that hit him right in the hands than anyone i've ever seen...I think a lot of it is him trying to take off before he has the ball...gotta catch it before you can run with it. That's something he'll have to work on over the off season...a good quality football camp would probably help him a lot...if he got serious he could play college ball.

guilty as charged....didnt mean to leave anybody out...Demarco is a head hunter and Ashby is gonna be ok too he made some nice grabs and to ALL THE WAVE im proud of ya guys for sticking it out...

wave61 by bunch you mean the haysi D and to be honest the wave O did nothing running except out of the shotgun would marcum have done better yes but he would not have made that big of a difference I was impressed with 72 on defence early on we had a lot of trouble blocking him. Grundy did play hard and I have to respect that.

Not making excuses at all but red tiger you do realize that we had 17 actual contributors (sp?) either quit or be knocked out due to injury before the Haysi game? Not saying that the outcome would have been different or anything of that sort...Im just saying that Grundy was BY FAR not at full strength this season at any point other than the opening kick off of the season.

I know that was not the full strength wave team and I think they played their hearts out with all of the hurt players I think the score might have been 35-14 or something like that but I dont think anyone could have run wild on us

Marcum would not have made a difference in that game. Haysi's defense is for real. There has not been any back to do anything agaisnt that defense. They held Justice from hurley to 50 yards and if im not mistaken he is the SWVA leading rusher if not close to it. I think Haysi will win that Division 2 this year. I think their front four on defense are the best around. So it dont matter who is running the ball.....Good luck to the tigers

jimmy was also a contributor on d.. and demarco was there leading tackler with like 136 or sumtin..behind him was josh M with like 80 sum...josh lee is no were near 20 tackes. from what i saw he was lost on the feild most of time..and whoever was at safty sucked..sorry to say it like that ut its the truth..but no matter what i respect all you guys

you know VTFAN ,REDTIGER, GUESS WHO,let me address all 3 starting with VT FAN,Justice is a good back best in the Blackdiamond id bet,If Marcum played the same teams that Hurley did he"d had 2000 yards thats not a slurr just the difference in the competition.Red Tiger wish you guys luck against Honaker but a healthy team with all the kids that played against Bluefield well ill hush you allready know the rest of what I think..Guess who, it"s my guess you dont know a heluva lot about nothing..Lance started a positive post here and it Stayed positive till you guys wanted to take ya last jab at Grundy...Fire away!!! REd TIGER you must be the bravest of all, hell you got to play us next year.....have a happy thanksgiving best of luck to whomever you call"your team" for this year mine will allways be GRUNDY!

Guest BB_TWEEDER

lol I will put my two cents in lol... Shane Justice could have 2,000 yards this season, but we had 2 other good backs to let run the ball who had a combined 1,000 yards. And we actually had a good passin season too.... If im not mistaking Shane justice hadent even had 100 carries until after the Honaker Game and that was the 9th game of the season. But anyways Congrats to Haysi, Honaker, Hurley and all the other schools on making the playoffs... Good Luck to all!!!